Dash cam

Hope it sits within the rules but it is for my Skoda. I thought I knew what I wanted, a blackvue 2 way, then a much better model came out (expensive though). After more. Research the reviews are mixed. Now I've seen a Netgear I like but there's no rear camera....... Totally confused and back to square one. Looking for recommendations please guys and gals.

I have blackvue d650gw 2channel (front and rear) cameras in my superb. Had the same fitted in my previous Octavia for 3 years. 

Yes an updated 'better' model has been released, however in my opinion isn't worth the premium price over the older models. 

Mine has been faultless over the last 3 years.

The only negative thing I can say about it is that now it is fitted into my superb, I no longer get a GPS lock as my superb has a heated windscreen. This seems to block the camera from seeing the satellites. 

But, absolutely amazing cameras, quality is fantastic and they simply work. Support and firmware updates etc are very good too 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flyingpigvrs said:

I have blackvue d650gw 2channel (front and rear) cameras in my superb. Had the same fitted in my previous Octavia for 3 years. 

Yes an updated 'better' model has been released, however in my opinion isn't worth the premium price over the older models. 

Mine has been faultless over the last 3 years.

The only negative thing I can say about it is that now it is fitted into my superb, I no longer get a GPS lock as my superb has a heated windscreen. This seems to block the camera from seeing the satellites. 

But, absolutely amazing cameras, quality is fantastic and they simply work. Support and firmware updates etc are very good too 

I have the  650 S 2CH set up. Front and rear cameras. I also have it wired via a power magic pro for Parking/event mode. The cameras go to sleep and are woken up by a proximity sensor.  When the cars parked on the drive it records when anyone enters my drive.   Very pleased with it

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I have the  650 S 2CH set up. Front and rear cameras. I also have it wired via a power magic pro for Parking/event mode. The cameras go to sleep and are woken up by a proximity sensor.  When the cars parked on the drive it records when anyone enters my drive.   Very pleased with it

I had the power magic pro on he Octavia and it was fantastic. 

However...for some weird reason I couldn't get the cameras to work with it on the superb. 

I wired them up exactly the same way as I had in the Octavia, but no joy. No power either with the ignition on or off, even though I was using a switched fuse and a permanent live. I ended buying a basic hardwire kit with no battery protection and simply wiring it in to a switched fuse, cameras came on instantly when I turned on the ignition. 

Weird and frustrating 

• Like 1

I have fitted Blackvue (DR650S and DR750S) into all of our trucks and also have a pair of older non wifi ones in the Yeti, IMO the wifi option is worth it’s weight in gold as it means you no longer need to remove to memory card to view the footage.

I have also used SmartWitness, Nextbase, Thinkware F750 and a cheap petrol station camera, the blackvue is in a different league compared to the rest I have tried.

I also bought a couple of Blackvue Power Magic Pro’s that I didn’t use in the end which are available in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2018 at 09:30, Gizmo said:

I have fitted Blackvue (DR650S and DR750S) into all of our trucks and also have a pair of older non wifi ones in the Yeti, IMO the wifi option is worth it’s weight in gold 

Thanks for that @Gizmo. Apologies if it's a stupid question but obviously it connects to my phone whilst I'm there for WiFi. When it's parked up away from me how does it work? Do you put a seperate sim card in it?

The cameras we have will only connect whilst you are there, I’m sure some would allow remote access but I’ve not looked into them. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I think the models you have allow that as well as 2 way communication. It's the feature I want so that if the proximity sensor goes off I can look live at what's going on. I'll update on here as to how if I get one.

As far as I know you can get Live viewing from your Dash cam to your phone/tablet via the Blackview cloud app. You could be in Spain* on holiday and you can see what your dash cam is looking at you place of residence in the UK*

*  ""  Other holiday destinations and country of residence are available.  """ 

blackvue-over-the-cloud

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Bought the new Blackvue at the weekend after seeing a demo of it by Blackvue at the London Motorshow at Excel. The DR900s model came as a dual camera (there is single camera option also) with 4k UHD for front facing camera and Full HD for rear facing. Quality of image when viewed back even on a large TV is very good. Also, the ability to not have to hard wire it but to plug into OBD port which then gives automatic traffic mode seemed a good feature. It is pricey but they were discounting it and including the OBD cable for free.

It was £449 including the OBD cable and a Micro sd card. Is expensive but the picture quality was better than any other I have seen (have a Street Guardian on another car which is good but doesn't compare to this). It also has a 162 degree wide angle view, most others have 140 or less. The parking mode was a good selling point. It detects through the OBD connection whether the car is running or not and automatically goes into parking mode (for front and rear cameras) until the battery drops to a set voltage, 12.2 or 12.3 I think - they said they have set the cut-off level quite high to ensure no battery issues but the cameras use less power in parking mode so they should last a while. The ODB connector also has a switch on it if for some reason you want to turn the system off without unplugging it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any signs of interference on DAB from the BlackVue 900 series?

Being UHD 4K the ‘RF video noise’ will move up band too and could impinge into DAB unless it has been properly suppressed.  Not all manufacturers have got this right yet and for anyone buying a two channel, or rear camera add-on, it is worth checking for trouble on DAB.  

One solution is to run all the cabling as far away from the DAB aerial and antenna amplifiers and along the floor of the car (not behind the headline as frequently happens).  Bonding it down with metal tape at frequent intervals will also reduce any unwanted emissions.  Placing ferrite blocks around the cable and close to the rear camera also helps.