Lane Assist retro-fit?

I have a '65 reg Octavia with Front Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Park Assist. However, it doesn't have Lane Assist, and I'd love to be able to get it. A VCDS scan shows I don't have the A5 camera in my windscreen, which I believe it the crucial part. I think I've got everything else.

Firstly, has anyone ever been able to upgrade the camera in the windscreen themselves? I spoke to Skoda and they don't offer it as an after-market service.

Secondly, is there anyone here with a similar car *with* Lane Assist that would be willing to perform a VCDS scan so I can work out what the different component versions might be?

I’m not sure this one has been done. I’ve seen some pretty amazing retrofits so I would say that nothing is impossible, but you will need the larger camera and a new windscreen at least, if not many other parts. Good luck if you see it through though. 

Edited by SashaGrace

Dont bother its a complete waste of space, honestly.

It certainly won't automate your driving, as it cuts out with no feedback from wheel in no time and has a tendency to understeer so you can't put your confidence that it will actually take the corner you want.

I have mine switched off...........I didn't like the input. I supposed its handy to have the option to turn on and off it you are really tired/lazy but IMO its not a must have.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the thoughts. Conclusion: not possible.

@vRSAnt Interested in your opinions, as I've heard this several times about Lane Assist. I'm not looking for automated driving, but just something to help avoid drifting on occasions that I'm feeling tired. I commute 200 miles a day, and the AAC is really helpful in this respect, although I'd never trust it to automate driving completely. Did you reach your opinion about LA even after changing to different profiles? I recently discovered setting AAC to Sports mode massively helped, because it was being too slow to catch up otherwise and people would be cutting in in-front of me all the time.

10 hours ago, adeward said:

@vRSAntI'm not looking for automated driving, but just something to help avoid drifting on occasions that I'm feeling tired.

I dislike the system myself but others have said it take the stress out of their driving. With that in mind, if you're already tired isn't lane assist going to make matters worse?

Better putting your money in to this: Skoda accessories   :biggrin:  (wonder how many of these Skoda have sold?)

This is something I'd be interested in also. Similar to speed control, the micro adjustments to steering is really tedious and tiresome.

I'm the sort of person who'd not buy a Tesla without Autopilot, not buy a 2018 Nissan without ProPilot, won't consider any car without ACC.

Unfortunately I don't think this is possible. As Sasha said, there is too much stuff need to be retrofitted. It would probably be more cost effective to swap your car to a VRs, which I believe comes with LA as standard.

As said above, don't bother. I have both ACC and lane assist. While I use ACC regularly and find it genuinely useful, LA is a gimic and stays switched off on mine also.

I have two issues, often it 'weaves' between the lines, not good at working out the centre. it will often 'attack' the line before pulling sharply away. Quite disconcerting for you and the car next to you.

The bigger problem is it will often (three or four times in the little time I have used it in anger) follow the wrong lines. It is good at following blacked-out lines that catch the sun, especially when they carry straight on and the road actually bends.

I find my self fighting it more than it helps me, Not something I would use when I am tired.

• Like 1

I use it if I'm on a motorway and turn it off at any other time. Reacts to all sorts of road markings including arrows to tell you or others to get back in their own lanes. Can be quite unnerving when your not expecting it.

I agree with flybynite. Further more I don't have ACC so evaluating it ONLY on lane assist. And most of the time its off.

If the road was pretty much straight and crusing or I wanted momentary assistance I'd switch  off. Otherwise it seems more of a burden.

I find it microcorrecting more than I would and hence its less effort to leave it off and let the car torque direct the steering with gentle steering input, that having to be on standby in case it turns off and also occassionaly feeling its micro correction seeming quite weavy. Does my nut.

I think cruise (acc or std) would be more useful than this IMO. Actually my car has neither only LA and I don't miss the cruise, I bought the petrol and bought it to be driven. I have my Fabia 1 vRS with cruise if I want to be lazy ( and get better economy than any Octy).

23 hours ago, adeward said:

Thanks for the thoughts. Conclusion: not possible.

@vRSAnt Interested in your opinions, as I've heard this several times about Lane Assist. I'm not looking for automated driving, but just something to help avoid drifting on occasions that I'm feeling tired. I commute 200 miles a day, and the AAC is really helpful in this respect, although I'd never trust it to automate driving completely. Did you reach your opinion about LA even after changing to different profiles? I recently discovered setting AAC to Sports mode massively helped, because it was being too slow to catch up otherwise and people would be cutting in in-front of me all the time.

Well you found AAC helps you a lot - good stick with that, its far more useful that the lane assist I'm sure, I'd trade that for the L.A if I could.

L.A is not even fully automated and commands steering input after so long, to avoid the perils of fully automation responsibility -

unless you try and cheat the timing with a bottle or something which is a bad idea.

You would find yourself second guessing if the LA is doing its job properly to the point it might wear you out even more I'm sure :D

And forget retrofitting stuff this complex, IMO either buy it as it came of forget it. Do you really want something like this going wrong ???