Auto Lights

Citigopher

Inspired by the @SashaGrace posts about automatic light switches (back in Jan 2017) and subsequently reading about something very similar over on the Audi A2 Owners Club site, I bought a light switch on ebay. It's a slightly different design to the one that Sasha used as it's all in one piece (i.e. just the switch unit body, with a wire coming out of it for the daylight sensor). As it turned out to be such a simple mod, I made a quick How-To as it's something that just about anyone could do.

The light switch I bought is sold by California_Dog on ebay. They are a Chinese seller and I have absolutely no connection with them whatsoever. I was pretty dubious of what the quality would be like for £27 inc. delivery, but as it turns out, the build quality and finish is excellent - at least as good as the original Skoda switch, with the added bonus that the trim on the switch knob is exactly the same silver as the ones on my (Elegance-spec) centre dash. The original one was all-black, so didn't really match. The switch action is just as good as the original; positive and smooth. The graphics are crisp and the icon illumination even, if a little more 'Christmas Tree' than the Skoda one as it's multi-coloured. Still, no harm in that. It even comes with a plastic trim removal tool, so everything you need to complete the job is supplied.

First up, use the trim removal tool to prise the panel off the end of the dash, drivers' side. Easy to do as there are no vicious barbed metal clips like you get on some cars:

IMG_7959.thumb.JPG.26324b6b509fab39322d9fc0d3187b18.JPG

IMG_7960.thumb.JPG.86bd1a699be17118c0621319dfde769d.JPG

Lift the panel away (it hooks into the dash down its leading edge). If you look in the hole in the end of the dash, you can then see the back end of the light switch, with all of the wires coming out of it. Hold this with your right hand (I found no need to disconnect the battery when making the change, by the way - just do it in good daylight) and with your left, push and hold the light switch knob in and turn it clockwise slowly until it's pointing to the gap between  "0" and the sidelights icon. You will feel a slight build-up of resistance as you do this - it's the barbs that hold the switch in place being retracted into the switch body. Push the back end of the switch body towards you with your right hand; if the barbs are retracted, the switch will slide out of the dash. It may take a few attempts to get the feel of this. If you turn the switch knob too far, it will pop back towards you and turn the sidelights on. If this happens, the barbs won't be retracted so you won't be able to remove the switch. Just set it back to "0" and try again.

IMG_7958.thumb.JPG.7ae4b7822a5de6623055adf40d6224e1.JPG

Once it's out, you'll see this:

IMG_7961a.thumb.JPG.1ffb3ee2f8d5e34bdbcb02516b924652.JPG

Press in the two barbs I've marked with red arrows and pull the plug off of the back of the switch.

For anyone looking for pin-out references for the two switches, this photo shows the back end of the original (on the right) and the ebay auto-switch (on the left):

IMG_7962.thumb.JPG.c5339eaf3a273f8182f27cfefdee8704.JPG

Then push the loom plug on to the new switch. It will only fit one way round.....

IMG_7963.thumb.JPG.b337aff83c82b3259d56d150e3e27a3d.JPG

....and slide it back into the hole in the dash until it clicks into place:

IMG_7964.thumb.JPG.89082e478bfc954f75f185387b439899.JPG

IMG_7965.thumb.JPG.f55013801e6d27c0a721947aa23f9bb6.JPG

Edited by Citigopher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Hi guys I think I have found it.

Switch number on etka is 3B0 941 531

Number showing from seller is 3BD 941 531

It’s very good price if you think that you can only get light sensor with citi save and rain sensor pack for £355 when ordering new citigo!

Will definitely put on my “want to do listB)

Many thanks Citigopher!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Chrome-AUTO-Headlight-Switch-Light-Sensor-Module-Kit-For-Skoda-Fabia-07-14/162770388031?hash=item25e5df043f:g:YIoAAOSwduNZvImF

That looks like the one. The listing I bought from has expired, so there's no point linking to it.

Having used the switch for a few months, a small word of caution: The light sensor has some problems with hysteresis, or more to the point, the lack of it. If you're driving around dusk, the switch will turn itself on and then off again if for example you're driving along a road with the occasional overhanging tree. The sensor reacts very quickly to the sudden 'darkness' and turns the lights on, but it also reacts almost as quickly to the daylight restored on the other side of the tree's shadow. The on-off-on-off behaviour gets a bit tiresome. I've been digging around on the web to see if there's a function to adjust the hysteresis, so far without success.

Other than that, the switch is very good. There are no problems with the quality of build - it looks, feels and switches just as well as the rest of the dash controls. The car has also just passed its MOT with the switch in place, so no problems on that front.

Edited by Citigopher

From what I've seen, that only delays the time it takes for the lights to turn on. What it really needs is a delay in the lights turning off. When you're driving into tunnels, underground car parks etc you want the lights to come on quickly, not have to drive in blackness for 5 seconds before your lights come on....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickbr said:

Thanks for the guide , done mine yesterday took less than 10 minutes .Found a UK based seller received it in 3 days :-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Car-Auto-Headlight-Light-Switch-Sensor-Module-For-VW-Golf-Mk4-Passat-Polo/122478543822?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Only downside is that's the VW one so the lights are red not green 

On 04/10/2018 at 10:00, JimbotheScot said:

this one has the light sensor build in

HTB1dvbxgY1YBuNjSszhq6AUsFXav.jpg

Anyone used this one with the light sensor built in? Not sure how well that'd work....

3 minutes ago, Gazzmondo said:

The one i fitted which was for a Fabia 7-14 will do the job, it also lights up green to match the other switches.

Sweet. Are the fog lights one-stage or two-stage (i.e. do you have to pull the switch out one click for the rear and two for both, for example)?

On 28/09/2018 at 12:37, Citigopher said:

That looks like the one. The listing I bought from has expired, so there's no point linking to it.

Having used the switch for a few months, a small word of caution: The light sensor has some problems with hysteresis, or more to the point, the lack of it. If you're driving around dusk, the switch will turn itself on and then off again if for example you're driving along a road with the occasional overhanging tree. The sensor reacts very quickly to the sudden 'darkness' and turns the lights on, but it also reacts almost as quickly to the daylight restored on the other side of the tree's shadow. The on-off-on-off behaviour gets a bit tiresome. 

Yep having the same issue with trees/dusk might try relocating the sensor somewhere else