Chain or Belt

On 25/05/2018 at 17:50, Devlin said:

Has the 1.2 tsi now changed to a belt I am considering a 2015 model

If when lifting the bonnet you can see a high level oil filter (above alternator) then it's the old EA111 cam chain version it also tends to come in 85 or 104 bhp engine powers

The newer totally different EA211 cam belt engine has a low level oil filter and 89 or 108 bhp

• Like 1

The chain will be for life - its life!

The belt, I have a feeling that the time period is 5 years, could be wrong there, and I don't know the miles - sorry.

If it's any help, I found the chain drive 1.2 to be the smoothest 4 I've ever driven (and power and torque are both good on the 105). Having driven both, I like the belt drive less on account of the low rev drone, it's just not as refined at all.

2 hours ago, Devlin said:

Cheers all, anyone know  the chain and or belt replacement intervals

Devlin 

The chain shouldn't need replacing but long life service intervals aren't great for a chain engine. I have the 1.4 version of the EA111 cam chain engine in my Superb and have specified fixed 10k (not long life variable) service intervals 

I think with the later EA211 engine cam belt replacement is every 5 years but not sure of mileage (but I think it's high)

44 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

If it's any help, I found the chain drive 1.2 to be the smoothest 4 I've ever driven (and power and torque are both good on the 105). Having driven both, I like the belt drive less on account of the low rev drone, it's just not as refined at all.

My 1.4 EA111 is very quiet indeed and I've had the later 1.2 EA211 in a Rapid courtesy car and liked it - It made a little bit more noise but I suspect the Rapid may have a bit less soundproofing compared to the Superb but I can't remember a low rev drone. Overall it was still pretty refined.

The earlier 1.2 EA111 is also an 8 valve engine (the 1.4 is 16 valve) whereas the later EA211 is 16 valve. 

Edited by bigjohn

• 4 weeks later...

Chains do not perish. My wife's Corsa is 18 years  old and is chain driven. I asked the mechanic when it needed changing and says if it is quiet without rattles it does not need attention. Fortunately my 63 plate roomie is chain driven and quiet so all is well.

Edited by edbostan