Valuing a Canon DSLR??

Gizmo

Going to put my Canon EOS 550D DSLR up for sale as it’s not getting used, but I haven’t a clue where to value it.

Brief spec:

Shutter count 1,300

EFS 18-55mm lens

EFS 55-250mm lens 

2 batteries

Bag plus a few accessories.

Where do I start?

On 5/28/2018 at 12:28, Gizmo said:

Going to put my Canon EOS 550D DSLR up for sale as it’s not getting used, but I haven’t a clue where to value it.

Brief spec:

Shutter count 1,300

EFS 18-55mm lens

EFS 55-250mm lens 

2 batteries

Bag plus a few accessories.

Where do I start?

Try Shpock or Ebay to see whats going for that model.

Selling to CEX can be a bit of a gamble as it depends who you get on the day and how meticulous they are being - sometimes a minor scratch can affect value - whereas other times they don't care so long as it works

Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/canon-eos-550d

• Thanks 1

Take a look on MPB Photographic who sell a load of second hand gear....

550D - Selling for £129 - £199

EFS 18-55mm lens - Around £50 depending on version

EFS 55-250mm lens  - Around £75 depending on version

MPB offer a 6 month warranty on used gear so people will generally be prepared to pay a little extra for this so working on £150 for the camera, £100 for both lenses I'd think would be a good/fair price to start with

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't be surprised if a camera that was being sold for £150 by MPB was bought from the customer for around £80-100, quite possibly possibly less. Similar reductions to the value of lenses. They might increase the offer if you were buying more stuff from them. I don't have any concrete figures, but it's what I would expect. I'd be prepared for a low offer and be happily surprised if it worked out to be a good one  :) 

I popped into Jessops the other day and had a look at their used selection (they now incorporate 'Camera Jungle' for their part-ex gear) and asked how much my 3 year old Tamron 150-600mm was worth. it's a lens I almost never use and is in mint condition. New cost was around £850 (now around £1,000 I believe). They said if it was mint and I had the box etc then it was worth just under £450, which is more than I thought it would be valued at. When they say mint they really do mean virtually as new. 

Btw Gizmo, I'm impressed you know the shutter count, I assume you know how many photos you've taken? Canons are usually a bugger to find out the shutter count unless you have the right software. 

Shutter count is low, hardly used. 550 is a good camera too. Trying to read the shutter count on my 760d, totally buried.. the usual software can’t do the trick. Any recommendations LE.

I'm pretty sure there is a hack involving Magic Lantern, otherwise a trip to your local Calumet/Wex etc will do it. Magic Lantern is great software (and can add several features to a Canon Camera such as Intervelometer and manual adjustment of audio record level in video etc) and seems to be pretty bug free and is open source software. 

18 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Btw Gizmo, I'm impressed you know the shutter count, I assume you know how many photos you've taken? Canons are usually a bugger to find out the shutter count unless you have the right software. 

Yes I went off the number of photos taken, I bought it on a whim but never really got to use it as much as I would have liked, they are a PITA to carry around on holiday, especially when a smartphone will still take a half decent photo.

Anyway I have sold the lot on eBay :o 

£190 for the body and EFS 18-55mm lens and all the extras.

£95 for the EFS 55-250mm lens 

Not quite as much as I would have hoped for but I'm happy with what I got.  

I’m sure I probably will end up with another of some description at some point, I already have a pretty decent Sony compact that is gathering dust :D