What would owners replace their superb with?

After a 4 years of owning 2 skodas (one brand new and one ex managers 'special') and both vehicles blighted with problems and generally really poor quality enough is enough. I have spent far to much time at main dealers having these cars fixed. 

So its time to move away for good.

I still need a relatively decent size car with a generous level of equipment so what would people consider?

Another Superb. My last two (3T and 3V) has been brilliant. So ordered another. 

Have’nt found anything else, that gives the space/design/engine/equipment combined with a brillant price. Currently have a new 5-series as a rental, while in the UK. It’s a nice car, but costs a fair bit more than a Superb (at least in DK) and all the toys and safety features are optional. 

Are you looking to spend Skoda money, or add £10-15K? I like that gold VW Arteon, the yellow Kia Stinger, the deep red Mustang or a Merc C-class coupé. But I'm a dreamer, too.

Fortunately, my sales manager's ex-demo is an excellent car. You've been unlucky for sure.

8 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

No im sticking around the £20k area. 1 year to 2 year old car.

From your suggestion the c class is possible but in estate format for me. Otherwise bmw 3 gt or 4 series gran coupe.

If you are wanting the same type of space as a Superb, then a C-Class won't cut it.  Boots are small.  You'd need to look into a Volvo V70 or Merc E-Class for the same relative space.  Or a Seat Alhambra or Ford S-Max/Galaxy if you wanted something a bit less expensive.

We had this exact dilemma before going for our MK3 Superb. Only slightly regretted it due to the deposit we needed to put down (vs the Deposit on an Alhambra)

After 8 years with 2 Superbs, a S2 and a S3, and having had very good service with no problems from either of them, i would go for another Superb.

Whichever car you buy, there will always be a small number that are not up to standard.  With mass production there are always small variations in the size of components. Sods law says that every now and again all the small variations will line up against having a good car, but that doesn't mean that all Superbs are like that.

As @GaSelle says you will find it difficult to equal a Superb at the price.

Also from my experience, you can buy many more expensive cars from manufacturers who are just as prone to producing a duff one and if you are the unlucky person to get that car you can have as many if not more problems.

I have a BMW 2-series Gran Tourer on order, expected Jul/Aug.  Same engine bhp as my S3 was (190), xDrive fitted and an 8 sp autobox (no manual option on the 220d).  It isn’t quite as big as the S3 but it will do.

Some would call it a van..........:biggrin:

Edited by FelisBengalensis

I'm enjoying my time with the Superb it's my first Skoda and i was a little dubious but there is a lot to like about it.  But I'm already eyeing up a replacement in 12 months in the shape of the new Audi A6, or A4.  As good a value as the Skoda is I can live with a few toys missing for the build quality and finish Audi offer.  Taking the A6 on contract the prices aren't a million miles apart and the A4 might even be cheaper. 

If I didn't get the 280 the only car that would have fit the bill would be a Volvo V60 Polestar.  A quality car that's very discreet and it's biggest draw for me is that it's almost invisible.  Quality is a step up from the Superb but the interior felt a little claustrophobic in comparison and the infotainment system and general switchgear is on the small side and cumbersome to operate.  Reminds me of a SAAB from a few years ago where buttons seemed to have been sneezed on to the dashboard! 

If I was replacing our Superb, I'd likely be looking at a Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 (2010 - 2014 age range) due to the carrying capacity we require or possibly a LR Discovery 4 from the same era.

If I could have a play-toy though, without the practicality issues we have (my wife has a wheelchair) it would likely be a Porsche 911 or a Boxster/Cayman S :)

Theres nothing else that really takes my fancy for a long period.  I have considered a Leon ST Cupra 300 though...but I don't like the old-style dash's that Seat seem to be stuck with.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

I have considered a Leon ST Cupra 300 though...but I don't like the old-style dash's that Seat seem to be stuck with.

I toyed with one but when I went and seen one I was reminded why I didn't get on with my previous Leon; they are cheap(er) for a reason.  You can see where corners are cut to give you a nice spec and very good performance per £.  My last Leon was depreciating quicker than I was paying it off.   

In fairness though, 3 years ownership and not a single fault, not even a warning on the dash.  I really didn't like it though and regretted  buying it within  24 hours of driving it off the forecourt. 

16 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I toyed with one but when I went and seen one I was reminded why I didn't get on with my previous Leon; they are cheap(er) for a reason.  You can see where corners are cut to give you a nice spec and very good performance per £.  My last Leon was depreciating quicker than I was paying it off.   

In fairness though, 3 years ownership and not a single fault, not even a warning on the dash.  I really didn't like it though and regretted  buying it within  24 hours of driving it off the forecourt. 

That's me striking the Leon off the list then :)

I would go for a Golf R Estate, but they are quite common.

2 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

That's me striking the Leon off the list then :)

I would go for a Golf R Estate, but they are quite common.

Indeed they are.  There were some crazy lease deals on the Golf R a few years ago hence why there's a lot of them around.  At one point you could lease the R for cheaper than a GTI or even a GTD!

3 hours ago, Shhhkoda said:

I'm enjoying my time with the Superb it's my first Skoda and i was a little dubious but there is a lot to like about it.  But I'm already eyeing up a replacement in 12 months in the shape of the new Audi A6, or A4.  As good a value as the Skoda is I can live with a few toys missing for the build quality and finish Audi offer.  Taking the A6 on contract the prices aren't a million miles apart and the A4 might even be cheaper. 

A6 is a great car - I had one previously. 

Extra toys and more importantly the extra space in the Superb makes it a winner for me though.  Back seat is much bigger in the Superb which is crucial for me as I have 3 kids.  Boot is also bigger.

So my next car will likely be another Superb, possibly a Sportline.

I'd lean towards another Superb.  However, it would be my fourth Superb and eighth Skoda so maybe a time for a change!  With price differences between the established premiums models and the Superb narrowing much more in recent years, this would make me think even more seriously about changing.  I always have this debate every time I'm trading - slightly used A6 etc v Superb!  My preference is to have a car in warranty so the reduced warranties in Audi, Merc BMW is another factor for me.  I'm more worried about the resale value on my diesel Superb though, as a (likely) reduction on this would make the cost to change very expensive.

Before the Superb we had a Leon. It was a great car but for DIY, tip and holiday runs it was a bit challenging for space. The Leon estate was tempting but the Superb was way better value and has done everything we have wanted it to. Last week we went to Scotland, everything fitted in with no problems dis about 1000 miles and averaged a calculated 54 mpg. The Leon was a more sporting drive but despite being smaller and lighter could not match the Superb for economy.

So what next. On car on our radar when we bought the Superb was the Volvo V60 T4 190 PS, well kitted, beautifully finished but little bigger than the Leon. The next Volvo V60 looks way better but is probably way more expensive.

Another issue for me is I have been driving for 44 years and never had more than 4 cylinders. Wife had a Rover V8 before we met so I feel deprived. Would love a 6 (or even an 8) before they are outlawed but which one. Every manufacturer has downsized the engines and fitted more turbos instead so what actually exists?

Looks like it would be another Superb.

Edited by skidpan
Checked the web, it was a T4 and not a T3

3 hours ago, Shhhkoda said:

Lease and contract rates are surprisingly close sometimes.  I test drove an A4 before changing last year and even compared to my old MKII Superb, the A4 was not in the same league.  The A6 is a fine car and the new model looks the business!

The S3 is a great car and will take some beating when the time comes to renew. The L&K is a well specced car at a 'bargain' price really. If, like me, you prefer only the high spec models then it is difficult to beat the S3 IMO.

However, 2 things have changed in the Volvo camp since I bought the current S3. The S90 is now available with a petrol engine (T4) and the new V60 is almost on stream with the same engine promised towards the end of the year. They will both be on my radar; if the deal is right then one or the other will be my next car. The list price may be more than the S3 but Volvo dealers are generally very competitive with their deals. They are certainly easier to deal with than the snobs at BMW, Merc and Audi.

I’d agree with the Nerc and Audi dealers, both of whom I have had very poor experiences with.

Maybe I’m lucky with my BMW Dealer but they have always treated my wife and I very well.  Of course that might be the fact I married a petrol head who sees buying everything on the options list as a hard target!!  In days of old she had a Leon Cupra R when I drove an Octy 1 Estate :blink:

• Like 1

I’ve ordered a Volvo XC40 First Edition ( the R-Design Pro with all the option boxes ticked ) D4 AWD Auto, expecting delivery in October. It will be my retirement treat to myself.

It was a hard decision for me as I love the Superb but all this messing around with engine spec choice and availability at Skoda came just at the wrong time for me. I looked at quite a few alternatives but only the XC40 gave me the fizz that I felt when I got my Superb. More expensive than a new L&K but it has more gadgets and gizmos than the Superb and the interior is a class or two above the L&K.

I’ve had it on a PCP so depending on how it goes I might just be back in these forums in a few years time, I’ll miss the L&K...

• Thanks 1

I like high-speed cars but i also expect them to be assembled well. I do not wish to be on first name terms with the skoda master tech at the dealer due to repeat visits. 

Realistically having wasted almost £25k on this i need to adopt some air or realism as to its replacement. 

E class is just the wrong side of the budget hence the liking of the c class as its a fine place to sit. Boot space is important but we used to cope well with the Octavia estate so was spoiled with the superbs space so i dont expect the c class estate to be such a hardship.

I did view some Volvo V60 estates again a year old but tiny inside and very dated interior so no thanks.

Not viewed yet and soon to be is the BMW 3 GT. Reviewed as a decent drive, good engines and more space than the estate.