So I went and bought a Jaaaag

On 30/05/2018 at 09:15, Aspman said:

The car is only 30months old and my alloys are rotten and will need powder coated. The radio needs replaced again due to the paint on the buttons splitting (that would be the 3rd one). And BMW every time you point out an issue roll their eyes like they'd done you a favour to sell the car in the first place. They refused to fix the alloys under warranty because they had been fixed once before (this was an in house BMW company car sold approved used).

Some big bills coming up so I'm thinking about moving on..... then I press the loud pedal, and remember I've a 313hp diesel that will out accelerate a Ferrari 355 and gets me 42mpg. Damn you, you Bavarian beast.

Saw this just now. Moan on their facebook page about their alloys if you've not sorted it already. That should get you some traction.

Edited by bspman

Problem was the first owner has had 3 of the 4 alloys refurbed. I looked very closely when I got the car and couldn't see a mark so they were refurbed well other than the lacquer has lifted over 18 months. BMW dealer nearby took photographs and went back to BMW UK but they just said they'd been  refurbed therefore bugger off.

there is a local powder coating company nearby. I've had a decent quote so I'm just going tog et them painted, I wouldn't want the diamond finish redone it's not fit for the road.

• Sad 1

I hate diamond cut wheels :( My little Vitara has picked up some tiny stone chips on it's spokes and sure enough the lacquer is beginning to show signs of lifting. There isn't even a scuff mark on any of the wheels either :( 

Only just seen this post. Beautiful looking car, I'm more of an F30/F80 guy but that do look fantastic. Any interior pictures?

It's interesting times with regards to these new filters and emissions restrictions, I kinda feel like it's the DPF for a petrol but hopefully it wont be as problematic. How the exhaust? I keep putting off getting the MPPSK for my 340, I was thinking they'd make it for a while yet but it sounds like if I push my luck too far they'll stop selling it. 

• Like 1

I didn't take any of the interior as it's pretty much generic 3 series inside, except for bits of carbon fibre dotted around the place and the rather nice seats (although the illuminated M4 badge is a mite tacky imho. 

As for the exhaust, it's rather, er, exciting! It isn't a sweet and rorty thing like the MPE was on my M135, it is much more a 30ft walrus sneezing into a giant flugel horn. Also unlike the M135 it doesn't have the crackles on the overun like the M135 which is probably a good thing bearing in mind how loud the zorst is in Sport/Sport+ It does however sound awesome underneath motorway bridges and is easily loud enough (if you set it that way) to overcome the usual tyre noise and other car noise which can spoil your selfish enjoyment of these echoing 'boot it in a tunnel' moments. The crack on the upshift isn't like the one you get with a hyper hatch, it's much more of a large handgun going off next to your head. Epic! :D  

I would definitely get an MPE for the 340 if it sounds anything like my old M135. In eco mode it's not really any louder than the standard zorst and didn't drone in any way.

See what Cotswolds can do one for (fantastic prices and I've bought 2 exhaust from them now as they could be beaten on price). In fact they held my old zorst for me for a whole month while I was working away from home. They just couriered it up today for £50 :) The driver wasn't too happy as it's a very large box (about the size of a very wide coffin) and was a lot heavier than the roof rack he thought was in it :D  I've heard 340's with various sports exhausts on You Tube and if I am honest, they don't have the drama of the one on my car, but in general sound much sweeter and have a more pleasant tone. Definitely do it :nod:

• Like 1

On 30/07/2018 at 21:02, Lady Elanore said:

I didn't take any of the interior as it's pretty much generic 3 series inside, except for bits of carbon fibre dotted around the place and the rather nice seats (although the illuminated M4 badge is a mite tacky imho. 

As for the exhaust, it's rather, er, exciting! It isn't a sweet and rorty thing like the MPE was on my M135, it is much more a 30ft walrus sneezing into a giant flugel horn. Also unlike the M135 it doesn't have the crackles on the overun like the M135 which is probably a good thing bearing in mind how loud the zorst is in Sport/Sport+ It does however sound awesome underneath motorway bridges and is easily loud enough (if you set it that way) to overcome the usual tyre noise and other car noise which can spoil your selfish enjoyment of these echoing 'boot it in a tunnel' moments. The crack on the upshift isn't like the one you get with a hyper hatch, it's much more of a large handgun going off next to your head. Epic! :D  

I would definitely get an MPE for the 340 if it sounds anything like my old M135. In eco mode it's not really any louder than the standard zorst and didn't drone in any way.

See what Cotswolds can do one for (fantastic prices and I've bought 2 exhaust from them now as they could be beaten on price). In fact they held my old zorst for me for a whole month while I was working away from home. They just couriered it up today for £50 :) The driver wasn't too happy as it's a very large box (about the size of a very wide coffin) and was a lot heavier than the roof rack he thought was in it :D  I've heard 340's with various sports exhausts on You Tube and if I am honest, they don't have the drama of the one on my car, but in general sound much sweeter and have a more pleasant tone. Definitely do it :nod:

Fair enough, while the lights are a bit tacky from what I remember the seats themselves are quite nice. 

Exhaust sounds decent, now I think about it my mates M3 had the exhaust and he got a similar deal. A dealer had a car in the showroom with loads of M Perf bits on it and were asking bonkers money. It wasnt shifting so they offered the exhaust to him for a huge discount. I think I took it through a few tunnels to appreciate it's sound :D 

I've seen a few videos of the 340 exhaust on the F30 FB page, it sounds bonkers, louder than all the other aftermarket options, pops and bangs and still switches with the modes so you dont have to put up with it all the time. 

I was going to wait till after my holiday but I might have to drop Cotswolds a email and see what they can do. :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@Lady Elanore - I'm genuinely not surprised by that; as a general rule it's only people who like brass band music (or at least have watched "Sounding Brass" who know what a flugel is! So, "Orange Juice"?

That was a bit 'posh' for us lot. It was more like, 'the opening for Little Drummer Boy played by Flugel' at least thats what it said on the score and nobody was going to steal my golden moment :D 

3 hours ago, XLBaconDoubleCheese said:

I've seen a few videos of the 340 exhaust on the F30 FB page, it sounds bonkers, louder than all the other aftermarket options, pops and bangs and still switches with the modes so you dont have to put up with it all the time. 

I was going to wait till after my holiday but I might have to drop Cotswolds a email and see what they can do. :D 

If it's similar to my M135 then it's loud-ish and start up and very livable with. I have calibrated  my thoughts on what constitutes a loud exhaust after getting the MPE on my M4 :D I wish it had a separate button for the valve like Merc and Audi, as sometimes I like to put my foot down without sounding like someone trying to make a low pass in their light aircraft. Even in Comfort mode, it still opens up if you nail it at higher revs. There are aftermarket remote controls for the flaps, but I'm skint again :D

16 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

That was a bit 'posh' for us lot. It was more like, 'the opening for Little Drummer Boy played by Flugel' at least thats what it said on the score and nobody was going to steal my golden moment :D 

That would work for me too; in fact I think the flugel is a very underused instrument in orchestral works, because nothign else sound like it.

the M140i seems to be a beast. I saw a video of a stock one doing 0-60 in 3.9 seconds which a few years ago was supercar fast!

When I bought my M135i only the Focus ST could be had for similar money. Being an on-call firefighter I'm wondering if an S3 will be a safer option for winter responding, I just can't justify the extra £5k to buy one, maybe winter wheels and tyres are a better option

5 hours ago, VRS Mike said:

the M140i seems to be a beast. I saw a video of a stock one doing 0-60 in 3.9 seconds which a few years ago was supercar fast!

When I bought my M135i only the Focus ST could be had for similar money. Being an on-call firefighter I'm wondering if an S3 will be a safer option for winter responding, I just can't justify the extra £5k to buy one, maybe winter wheels and tyres are a better option

When does the phase out of the M140 i 6 pot   happen and the new  4 pot replacement  get launched? 

Have you seen or read much about it yet.

Edited by vrskeith

9 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

When does the phase out of the M140 i 6 pot   happen and the new  4 pot replacement  get launched? 

Have seen or read much about it yet.

Not sure. I’ve heard they will be x drive. 

8 hours ago, VRS Mike said:

The M135 is the better engine imho ;) and the MPE sounds better on it than on the M140  too :)  :) Not that I am biased at all 

2 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

The M135 is the better engine imho ;) and the MPE sounds better on it than on the M140  too :)  :) Not that I am biased at all 

I don’t think my neighbours would appreciate the MPE when I’m leaving for a shout, the cars shouty enough already lol. Would love an MPE tho

You start it in the quietest mode and drive off very quickly before they can come out and berate you. Besides they will enjoy the noise so much they will thank you and name their children after you. I started mine today (M4 with MPE) and immediately popped the exhaust into loud mode, as a colleague and petrol head, asked to hear it. I gave the car a small blip and was staggered at how loud it was. it is much much MUCH louder than the M135 MPE I used to have. I still have my catalysts fitted too. Can't imagine how loud it would be with racing catalysts or straight down pipes. 

it was quite nice really :)

• Like 1