So I went and bought a Jaaaag

1 hour ago, vrskeith said:

Moral of this story is if you want a reliable performance car don't buy an M4 (his seems to spend more time at the dealers than in his garage) but get a Ferrari F430. I have actually driven a F430 on track and they are very good.:)

Well all I can add is

• SKODA Octavia - several attempts until a final catastrophic breakdown at around 2 years old
  • BMW123D - owned 3 years - NO breakdowns
  • Audi A4 - Rear diff failed within 2 years (£7,000 if it had not been in warranty)
  • BMW M135i - owned 3 years - NO breakdowns
  • BMW M4 - owned nearly 2 years NO breakdowns

It is also fair to say my BMWs were driven much harder than either of my VAG cars, the Skoda being treated very gently on average.

So the moral of the story is: if you want to breakdown, buy a Skoda, or if you want to improve your overall chances of a full  breakdown or at the very least inconvenience of being stuck in limp mode, buy a VAG. 

Do I truly believe this? About as much as I believe some people like to p1$$ on your chips. 

• Like 1

This Alpine pass  road is awesome ,did it last year, plus a few others when  holidaying there

Check out what this guy does for fun / a living. 

Edited by vrskeith
  • Haha 1

You can see and hear he is not only short shifting, but also being gentle with the throttle. Sounds like the traction control is still on and I can't blame him on a damp twisty road. The cars width is too much to really let loose 😞 

6 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

You can see and hear he is not only short shifting, but also being gentle with the throttle. Sounds like the traction control is still on and I can't blame him on a damp twisty road. The cars width is too much to really let loose 😞 

Is this better for the UK country twisty /narrow stuff and a better all rounder than the M4?

James obviously thinks so -but is he right.

Interesting to know what it cost him and what he got for the M4 if he traded it in.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vrskeith said:

Is this better for the UK country twisty /narrow stuff and a better all rounder than the M4?

Interesting to know what it cost him and what he got for the M4 if he traded it in.

Watched the Long term 42,000 mile 4 year video on his M4 and it needed a 2 week stay at the BMW dealer just 200 miles after the first service at 1,400 miles for a new gearbox. Honest owner admits the rear seats are useless, 0-30mph acceleration is useless due to too much wheelspin compared to 4WD rivals and tyre costs that work out at £120 every 1,000 miles. He didn't mention how much depreciation it cost him over his 4 years of ownership and due to his age it would have been funny to know how much he has spent on insurance in those 4 years.😉

Not bothered to watch the vid. Man sounds a kn0b. If he is junking a set of tyres every 5-6000 miles he is either tracking the car (in which case understandable) or probably shouldn't have a driving licence. Rear seats are fine for a coupe (2 medium sized adults fit fine unless they are tall) and they are a huge step up in size from something like 911. If you want bigger rear space then get the M3, but I assume the man is a cretin if he bought the M4 and didn't test the rear seat space if it was important to him?  The trick with the M4 rear seats is to press the seat moving button once quickly and then it moves the front seat to it's max forward position. Ingress and egress is then much easier.  Some people keep their finger on the button and don't maximise the full travel available.

I also don't get the 0-30 thing. I grew out of that around the same time I became of a legal age to vote. Of course any very powerful RWD front engine car will struggle for traction off the line. If I and most M3/4 owners wanted to play 'racer' with the kids in their big boy hot hatches and cheap mid engined cars, we would probably have bought an RS5. Also as I've mentioned previously, it's a car that can trouble the traction control in the dry at over 100mph on a smooth surface. 0-30...give me a break :D 

I've said before, the M3/4 is not a car to go 'fast' in easily, it requires a fair bit of work and a good dose of concentration. On a track, the car is still competitive with cars developing 60-70bhp more (C63 and Alfa) and on some tracks is still the fastest of it competitors thanks to the chassis and weight, but on the road it's more like a very taught muscle car. Put it this way, you can buy a ready meal or learn to cook. 

update: I have watched the video and the man is indeed a kn0b OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! An erudite man he is not OMG! 

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Not bothered to watch the vid. Man sounds a kn0b. If he is junking a set of tyres every 5-6000 miles he is either tracking the car (in which case understandable) or probably shouldn't have a driving licence. Rear seats are fine for a coupe (2 medium sized adults fit fine unless they are tall) and they are a huge step up in size from something like 911. If you want bigger rear space then get the M3, but I assume the man is a cretin if he bought the M4 and didn't test the rear seat space if it was important to him?  The trick with the M4 rear seats is to press the seat moving button once quickly and then it moves the front seat to it's max forward position. Ingress and egress is then much easier.  Some people keep their finger on the button and don't maximise the full travel available.

I also don't get the 0-30 thing. I grew out of that around the same time I became of a legal age to vote. Of course any very powerful RWD front engine car will struggle for traction off the line. If I and most M3/4 owners wanted to play 'racer' with the kids in their big boy hot hatches and cheap mid engined cars, we would probably have bought an RS5. Also as I've mentioned previously, it's a car that can trouble the traction control in the dry at over 100mph on a smooth surface. 0-30...give me a break :D 

I've said before, the M3/4 is not a car to go 'fast' in easily, it requires a fair bit of work and a good dose of concentration. On a track, the car is still competitive with cars developing 60-70bhp more (C63 and Alfa) and on some tracks is still the fastest of it competitors thanks to the chassis and weight, but on the road it's more like a very taught muscle car. Put it this way, you can buy a ready meal or learn to cook. 

I agree having watched 2 of his video's he is typical of the you tube generation and completely deserves his KN0B jockey title Amanda.😏

1 minute ago, Lady Elanore said:

I think I can see why he has the only M3 in the world that is that colour. BMW do nice greens as well :D

Yeah think the only reason he is the only one who chose the expensive Individual Goodwood Green is because it sucks and he is trying so hard to be different it is indeed comical.😅

Goes to show that even what looks like a 420D needs legal tyres. Probably would have crashed a Kia Picanto with that level of idiocy

Btw did you go looking for 'BMW M4 Crash' and ended up with a BMW that crashed on the M4 motorway :D

Edited by Lady Elanore

5 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Goes to show that even what looks like a 420D needs legal tyres. Probably would have crashed a Kia Picanto with that level of idiocy

Btw did you go looking for 'BMW M4 Crash' and ended up with a BMW that crashed on the M4 motorway :D

No surprisingly I googled M4 Police Car and that popped up instead so I thought I would share that although some people can buy a nice car they may not be able to run one on a tight budget.

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

update: I have watched the video and the man is indeed a kn0b OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! An erudite man he is not OMG! 

James Kingston is a BALLSIE sort of guy, even if a bit mad but is   really a driven Adrenaline Junkie - check him out ,says a lot. 

Think he now needs 4 doors and useable rear seat ,as 4 years on, he need access for his kids and mates .

Edited by vrskeith
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

James Kingston is a BALLSIE sort of guy, even if a bit mad but is   really a driven Adrenaline Junkie - check him out ,says a lot. 

Think he now needs 4 doors and useable rear seat ,as 4 years on, he need access for his kids and mates .

I can confirm having watched those 2 video's the guy is completely barking mad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I can confirm having watched those 2 video's the guy is completely barking mad.

Hence the tyre wear rate!!

• Haha 1

On 03/01/2020 at 05:11, vrskeith said:

Which is the best M car for the money

Edited by vrskeith