So I went and bought a Jaaaag

Hmm makes you think.

Just get a used diesel golf and a DB11.

Was looking and actually started to think I could get a Bentley GT. it'll cost a fortune to run, but I could get a Bentley GT for less than a Golf R

I wouldn't want to pay for the repairs/parts/servicing of a Bentley :D or a DB11 for that matter. I've driven the Bentley GT Speed and it was properly quick :) Amazing noise too :inlove:.

I imagine it's what being launched from a trebuchet whilst sitting in a wingback Chesterfield armchair feels like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also looking and thinking...

I could get a used M5 and it costs lots to run.

I could get an Aston Rapide S and it would costs lots to run.

The Aston would probably depeciate less, therefore it makes more sense to run an Aston Martin than a BMW.

I think my logic is correct.

We were in BMW today having a look for me missus at the X2 and otehr practicals. They had lots of M4s and 8 series but no M3s.

M3CS would be epic, but proper rocking horse stuff. You can get a huge amount off the M4CS at the moment, but they are a bit stripped out compared to the regular full fat M4. Funnily enough you can get HK audio on M3CS but not M4CS. I figured it's because the door cards are made from recycled egg boxes or something and the M4s door cards are much longer and therefore a tad more 'bendy' :D  

How about a C63 (6.2 V8) and something sensible for winter :) I looked at it as a possibility before I bought the M4. I had a C350CDi AMG Sport Plus for a few years and it was pretty much faultless, seemed to be built rather well. 

On 01/10/2019 at 14:14, Aspman said:

Ere...

What the depreciation like on a motor like this?

My friend lost £18K in 2 Years, He paid £50K for his and sold it for £32K earlier this Year.

He could have possibly got a bit more but didn't want people coming to the House, The Dealer he bought it off made him the offer after he contacted them due to getting a Ban.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

M3CS would be epic, but proper rocking horse stuff. You can get a huge amount off the M4CS at the moment, but they are a bit stripped out compared to the regular full fat M4. Funnily enough you can get HK audio on M3CS but not M4CS. I figured it's because the door cards are made from recycled egg boxes or something and the M4s door cards are much longer and therefore a tad more 'bendy' :D  

How about a C63 (6.2 V8) and something sensible for winter :) I looked at it as a possibility before I bought the M4. I had a C350CDi AMG Sport Plus for a few years and it was pretty much faultless, seemed to be built rather well. 

I was looking around at C63s last night for a bit. They seems to either be very very expensive or quite reasonable. Read a few reviews and they were being descibed as boring.

Finacee is first in line since we have 3 cars right now. She has a JCW Mini Coupe which is phenominal fun but not much use with the impending arrival of sprog2. We'd toyed with the idea of effectively bagging it up for 10yr as I think it will be a classic at some point but not for a while. We drove a JCW Cubman which was very nice but not interesting enough to demand nearly £40k. she really didn't like the barn doors either. They're qurky but also a bit of a PITA (we also have an older clubman cooper)

My mileage has just halved so I don't really need a derv anymore. I can afford something reasonably exotic but not every 2/3yr if it's going to lose 30k in that period.

I think during the 4 year cycle that my M4 is on it is projected to lose a maximum of £24K, that being the minimum GFV, so perhaps it will lose less. But this is mainly because I happened to be in the right place at the right time when I found the pre-reg delivery mile car :) and the huge discount that had been applied. I'm hoping that in reality it will work out nearer £5k a year, which although not exactly cheap, is still pretty good for a car that can do 0-100mph in around 8.5 seconds (on the right day). Time will tell, but it is a car I still get a buzz out of every time I climb into it and usually after 18 months I will be getting past that stage. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

:D traction is an issue for all M4s. The third to fourth gear change breaks traction at around 95mph on a dry warm smooth bit of tarmac :D :D 

My brother had a slot car racing track that the cars were stuck to the track with magnets and all you did was press the controller flat out and watch the cars whizz around....he got bored quickly. He next got a proper Scalextric where the cars flew off the track if you were over enthusiastic with the controller, he only tired of it after the dog ate the cars or if I beat him. It's sort of a bit like the RS5 compared to the M4 really 

I should add I would still be more than happy with an RS 5 though (especially the older version with the V8 :)  - it's nearly as nice as George Clooney-who am I kidding, nothing is as nice as George Clooney)

Edited by Lady Elanore

18 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

:D traction is an issue for all M4s. The third to fourth gear change breaks traction at around 95mph on a dry warm smooth bit of tarmac :D :D 

My brother had a slot car racing track that the cars were stuck to the track with magnets and all you did was press the controller flat out and watch the cars whizz around....he got bored quickly. He next got a proper Scalextric where the cars flew off the track if you were over enthusiastic with the controller, he only tired of it after the dog ate the cars or if I beat him. It's sort of a bit like the RS5 compared to the M4 really 

I should add I would still be more than happy with an RS 5 though (especially the older version with the V8 :)  - it's nearly as nice as George Clooney-who am I kidding, nothing is as nice as George Clooney)

I'm sure Mrs Clooney would agree with you entirely.:blush

On 10/08/2018 at 14:45, KenONeill said:

There's an M898 (arguably should be a sliproad of the M8).

I drive on it often -

The M898 motorway is a ¹⁄₂-mile motorway in Renfrewshire, Scotland. It is a spur route from the M8 motorway towards the Erskine Bridge. It is the highest numbered motorway in the United Kingdom, and also the shortest. It lacks hard shoulders along its length.

2 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Don't know what he sees in the successful, intelligent, elegant, tall, slim, attractive woman? Maybe she can cook? 

Might be a She Devil, if he was lucky. He should cook for her . Tasty. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back to P1 " As some of you know, I went out and spent my retirement fund on a pre-registered BMW M4. "

Now that I'd expect therapy is over, the song is "Amanda are you well/well /well?"🤓

Amanda,

So you have had your car for approximately 18 month ,having had £20 k chopped off retail. How many miles have you now put on it? 

Ultimately what will your car actually cost you at the end of the PCP agreement plus settlement . What would be your best guess or quoted figure for trade-in now? 

Would it have been better to have used your pension to by it outright? or take out a bank loan at 2.9 % APR?

Got to say the Sytner (and others) deal on the new X3M looks strong. The new M3/4 engine with 500bhp for £549 deposit and £549 a month! Lots of toys as standard.  A lot of the 'M3Cutters' have jumped onboard and say it's a lot better than some of the reviews suggest :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...