So I went and bought a Jaaaag

I like the 4 series, seeing more of them in non M spec around.

I just cant justify the outlay, given what i use my car for work wise..

1 hour ago, Ryeman said:

You bought it for the exhaust pipes........admit it!

...and the illuminated M badge on the seats (proper tacky :D) 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

...and the illuminated M badge on the seats (proper tacky :D) 

Priorities I guess.

ps....a harsh ride and rattles would tire me out quick time.

Edited by Ryeman

Sweeeet.  White not my favourite car colour but that works.

I know what you mean about rattly doors. Mine does it at extremes of temperature only thank goodness. Very hot or very cold and tappity tap in my ear. And I hate rattles in cars.

I love the engine in me beemer but the build in the rest of the car hasn't impressed me.

The car is only 30months old and my alloys are rotten and will need powder coated. The radio needs replaced again due to the paint on the buttons splitting (that would be the 3rd one). And BMW every time you point out an issue roll their eyes like they'd done you a favour to sell the car in the first place. They refused to fix the alloys under warranty because they had been fixed once before (this was an in house BMW company car sold approved used).

Some big bills coming up so I'm thinking about moving on..... then I press the loud pedal, and remember I've a 313hp diesel that will out accelerate a Ferrari 355 and gets me 42mpg. Damn you, you Bavarian beast.

• Like 2

My M135 didn't have any rattles of note, so I was a little disappointed about the M4 already having a few. Having read the M3/4 forums on the subject, I now realise that the rattles are a feature, not a fault. I'm using the M4 as a daily driver and I guess it's getting near to the point of what is a dual nature car. An Aston might be easily as quick, but probably a lot easier to live with in some ways, but then again it cost 2-4 times as much. So I guess BMW focused on making the car quick before they dealt with the mundane stuff, eg the car has no 'creep' in drive, so slow speed maneuvering, especially on an incline is a little tricky. The answer to this one though is to use the 'proper' handbrake and the throttle to inch the car about :D It's also a surprisingly big car. around 2 inches wider than the B8 Audi RS4 Avant and only a couple of inches shorter.

But it comes back to why did I buy it and it succeeds in that department in spades. I've driven it over the North Yorkshire and Co Durham moors a couple of times (70 miles of unbroken happiness)  and I noticed I was traveling the same sort of speeds I did in my M135 but I thought I was just cruising, it certainly didn't feel like cruising in the M135. A lot of this, I feel, is down to the dampers which was a weak spot in the M135 and the latest M4s have the 'Competition' dampers now as standard. It's easily quicker than the Baby Beemer, the only real limiting factor (well apart from traction :D) is the width on some of the tighter twisty, but you can't have the nice wide track without it :D 

• Like 1

I'd love to have an M4. Out of interest, why don't you like the white? I think it's great for the car! What was your first/second choice for colour?

Congratulations indeed, what a lovely car!

• Thanks 1

It's always dirty :( If I had the choice I would have gone for Tanzinite Blue, but I also like Yaris Blue, Mineral grey and they do a Ferrari Red sort of colour which is stunning (but cost more than a small stately home to option :( ) 

• Like 1

Very nice car Amanda, if I see you coming the other way i'll make sure to pull right over due to your extra few inches :)

My 3 series doesn't rattle but it did squeak!

BMW fixed it during it's first service and the lady on the service desk remarked they all do that after a while!

Adjusted the doors and added some sort of tape to the door rubbers, all done with no complaining.

My extra few inches are mostly the width of the car! honest ;) 

It's nearly always the door cards that peeps complain about it seems. Hopefully I'll be coming up through Co Durham to my parents next week. I drive up through Kirkby Stephen and on through to Middleton in Teesdale, before whizzing up to Stanhope or Wolsingham :) Some great roads 

Now that is very pretty indeed.  Nice work :thumbup:

Ordinarily my philosophy on white cars is that only two cars should ever been spec'd in white, a Golf GTI or any flavour of 911.  I must say however that the M4 looks lovely in white and really suits the lines and proportions of the car.  I've never actually liked any BMW I've seen in white but that just looks epic.   I also have exhaust envy.  

What a fabulous way to spend your retirement fund too.  I've never understood the mindset of working hard all your life and saving, investing, etc and then never actually enjoying the fruits of your labour.  Life is too short and that 'rainy day' could be your funeral. 

What other cars did you consider/try before 'settling' for the M4.  Did you not fancy the F type or maybe a Cayman?

Enjoy the car, anytime you wish to have me drive it around the NY Moors for the day then just let me know :biggrin:

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

Funnily enough I love the F Type and the Cayman - both on my fantasy shopping list, but simply couldn't get the deals I wanted (they were miles out financially from the BMW deal). The F type makes up for it's lack of performance and a bit too much time at the pudding section of life with fabulous exhaust sounds (V6S) and it looks stunning. The Cayman is simply too expensive if I wanted delivery miles, or new, on one and a decent spec. But the M4 looks good (still prefer the chunky M3 though) sounds OK (not as good as F type or screaming flat six) but makes up for this with performance that makes the other two cars look like they are pulling a static caravan behind them. It does feel a very serious car though. I can't put my finger on why, but I suspect it's the micro sensations of the drivetrain, suspension, road surface etc  making themselves known. I've driven many faster cars than the M4, but they rarely felt quite as raw (not including really daft things like Intergrowlers, Viper, Megabusa Westfield :D etc)

• Like 2

WOW- saw this post and like the other one about Hamburgers, though it might be about a certain Motorway. Anyway- enjoy your choice of car. Hopefully you won't have many of the mods mentioned on Sniff Petrol added. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

I must admit both myself and the dealership are a bit baffled. Still, perhaps the new owner of the Demo car has an aftermarket zorst lined up? You would assume so, surely :huh:

• 1 month later...

So to follow on from this Zorst stuff above, it recently came to my attention that you can't actually buy an MPE exhaust any more (current stock excepted) for your M3/4. Turns out that once the M4 resurfaces in a month or two with it's OPF exhaust filter jobbie, it won't be able to use the flappy valve exhaust thingy. So I got in just before the lock so to speak :D

But more worrying is, I've have just read Shmee150's review of the new M2 Competition (linky) and the 'M2 Comp' seems to be the first incarnation of the S55 (M3/4 engine) with this new Euro filter. You no longer get the 'weird farting' (His words and I'm not sure if Shmee is referring to the car or himself?) between gear shifts and in order to protect the new filter all sorts of compromises have been made to the engines performance. Reading between the lines it looks like this may in general be a backward step for performance fans in general as this new rule comes into force. I am guessing any current production engines will now suffer a little to accommodate the mod :( 

• Sad 1