which second hand octavia to buy?

Hi all,

Looking to buy an Octavia. Given my low budget it will probably be a Mk 2, with max 100K Km.

Now, I understand almost nothing about motors, and I would be very happy to hear your opinions on these questions:

- what are the common issues of this Octavia models (I am looking only at petrol engines, but I am open regarding the specific engine size)?

- what version/engine is the most reliable and problem-free?

- how to inspect/judge the car when I look at it and test drive it? If I find one which looks good, I will eventually take it also to a mechanic for a final check, but I need to first filter myself.

Thanks!

G

Sorry blaskspaven and AkisVH, I do not understand your messages, I am a total noob hehehe :)

Anyway, yesterday I test-drove a Skoda 1.8 TSI Laurin & Klement DSG with automatic transmission with ~ 90K Km and 8 years old. I looks in a very good state and I had a very good feeling driving it. Can anybody comment on this model? Should I expect to spend lots of money on it in the near future? The car was always serviced every ~ 25K km/2 years, though nothing was replaced besides oil and brake liquid, spark plug, and air filter.

Hi, You really need to read the sticky at the top :  1.8 TSI and 2.0 TSI engine failures.

It may make you think again about the 1.8TSI, unless it has had the chain tensioner updated.

And read Bazza1's recent '1.8 tsi oil issue' thread.  I'd personally avoid the Oct 2 1.8 tsi (having owned one for a month and returned to seller with a full refund given).

If you pull the plastic engine cover off the top of 1.8 tsi look for oil stains down the front of the block  - this is what I found on mine after I bought it and was trying to work out where all the oil was going - clearly previous owner had been topping it up fairly regularly - as I ended up doing, circa 350 miles to a litre of oil.

Also black soot in exhaust and smoke under hard acceleration.

Edited by ScoutCJB

Rhodri & Scout, 1.8 with the BZB engine is a different beast to the ones suffering with tensioner problems though, that's why I specified that one. Brad on here also has one and is convinced the change in the way the oil is distributed is why they started ballsing up on the non-bzb models as it's the same as the more troublesome vrs type 2 litre. According to Etka, BZB is only up to October 2008, so definitely pre-facelift.

Although there is one reported case of a stuffed tensioner with the BZB on that thread, the 1.8 Giff testdrove would definitely not be the same 1.8 I am suggesting buying; that would have been either CDAA or CDAB which are the tensioner prone models.

Edited by blackspaven

12 hours ago, blackspaven said:

Rhodri & Scout, 1.8 with the BZB engine is a different beast to the ones suffering with tensioner problems though, that's why I specified that one. Brad on here also has one and is convinced the change in the way the oil is distributed is why they started ballsing up on the non-bzb models as it's the same as the more troublesome vrs type 2 litre. According to Etka, BZB is only up to October 2008, so definitely pre-facelift.

Although there is one reported case of a stuffed tensioner with the BZB on that thread, the 1.8 Giff testdrove would definitely not be the same 1.8 I am suggesting buying; that would have been either CDAA or CDAB which are the tensioner prone models.

So everyone here is basically suggesting I skip buying this particular model, right?

50 minutes ago, blackspaven said:

If that's how you read what i wrote then good luck to you! :blink:

You wrote "the 1.8 Giff testdrove would definitely not be the same 1.8 I am suggesting buying;", I thought you meant that you are suggesting to buy a different model/engine? Thanks for your patience :)

Personally, I think it's the best engine in the entire range for power with economy, but the bzb is the possibly the more reliable. Oil issue is pot luck but there's gonna be more good than bad out there. Any car is a potential gamble. 

5 minutes ago, blackspaven said:

Personally, I think it's the best engine in the entire range for power with economy, but the bzb is the possibly the more reliable. Oil issue is pot luck but there's gonna be more good than bad out there. Any car is a potential gamble. 

I guess an experienced mechanic would be able to inspect the car and tell whether the engine has the above-mentioned problems? 

On 05/06/2018 at 12:27, Giff said:

I guess an experienced mechanic would be able to inspect the car and tell whether the engine has the above-mentioned problems? 

For a 1.8 tsi petrol around 2010 (which is what I think you were looking at based on the car you saw being 8 years old) , Oil staining down the front of the block from poor topping up, black soot in exhaust and possible smoke on hard acceleration would be a giveaway for the oil useage issues (I'm not talking about any other issues).  Other than that you couldn't really tell from an inspection and you'd need to drive 300 miles plus to see if there was a serious oil useage issue like I had. 

Remember Skoda say 621 miles to a litre of oil useage is acceptable and within parameters, I was getting 350 miles to a litre :wondering:

I wanted an Oct 2 Scout so purchased a Diesel shortly after returning the petrol.

I have a 2010 1.8 TSi L & K (engine code CDAA) And has been almost trouble free, only fault was a water pump leak which was repaired under warranty. Yes my engine is the one prone to tensioner problems and oil consumption problems, but it didn't stop me from buying, if the tensioner goes pop then that's a warranty issue and i have full skoda warranty and full skoda service history, as for the oil i changed from 5w30 oil to 5w40 and the consumption is a lot better (900 miles to a litre and has been stable for about 6 moths)

As for the 1.8 TSI engine, well it's a very very good engine, plenty of power when needed (160bhp) very free revving and pretty good MPG wise (about 24-25mpg around town, on a long motorway run i have seen high 40's, and my right foot is like a piece of lead) my only fault is not enough torque and it comes in a bit too far up in the revs, but i did used to drive a 20.tdi. 

I can't comment on Peterol Engines as I've a Diesel it's an 07 plate with the 2litre engine and 6 speed box and it is the L&K model and I've got to admit about the best car I've ever owned ...Bought July 2015 with 70,400 miles it now has over 112,00 miles on the clock and I've loved every mile I've put on it.

It's not been without its faults I will admit that having so far both the rear calipers and pads replaced, OSF caliper replaced, NSR & OSR wheel bearings, NSF CV joint, OSF CV Gator, Drop Link and Spring replaced .... Not all at the same time I hasten to add... However compared to the list of repairs carried out on my previous cars, Citroen Xantias and a C5 this is chicken feed.

The car maybe isn't as economical as the old 1.9 engine but a full tank still gives me anything from 530 to  580 miles which is about two weeks driving in and out of work for me .... With the BKD engine although it has the EGR valve there's no Diesel Particulate Filter to worry about and she uses no oil between oil changes 

Edited by labman1001
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

I have a 2010 1.8 TSi L & K (engine code CDAA) And has been almost trouble free, only fault was a water pump leak which was repaired under warranty. Yes my engine is the one prone to tensioner problems and oil consumption problems, but it didn't stop me from buying, if the tensioner goes pop then that's a warranty issue and i have full skoda warranty and full skoda service history, as for the oil i changed from 5w30 oil to 5w40 and the consumption is a lot better (900 miles to a litre and has been stable for about 6 moths)

As for the 1.8 TSI engine, well it's a very very good engine, plenty of power when needed (160bhp) very free revving and pretty good MPG wise (about 24-25mpg around town, on a long motorway run i have seen high 40's, and my right foot is like a piece of lead) my only fault is not enough torque and it comes in a bit too far up in the revs, but i did used to drive a 20.tdi. 

Interseting, the very best I ever got out of mine in the monypth I had it was 37mpg and that was literally coughing on the accelerator.

900 miles to a litre whilst within tolerance it wouldn't be acceptable for me with the mileage I do though.

On 6/3/2018 at 22:44, Giff said:

yesterday I test-drove a Skoda 1.8 TSI Laurin & Klement DSG with automatic transmission with ~ 90K Km and 8 years old. I looks in a very good state and I had a very good feeling driving it. Can anybody comment on this model? Should I expect to spend lots of money on it in the near future? The car was always serviced every ~ 25K km/2 years, though nothing was replaced besides oil and brake liquid, spark plug, and air filter.

Now there's another of these cars on the market, with only 23K Km and 6 years old, for a price which is ~15K USD, compared to the ~10K USD asked by the first dealer (iin both cases I guess I would be able to bargain the price a little bit).

I have not seen this second car yet (it's outside the budget I had given myself, but it's not that I cannot afford it), but I ask you: is it a problem for this type of car to have been driven only 23K KM in 6 years?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

Interseting, the very best I ever got out of mine in the monypth I had it was 37mpg and that was literally coughing on the accelerator.

900 miles to a litre whilst within tolerance it wouldn't be acceptable for me with the mileage I do though.

From memory, best I've gotten is about 43-44.

I admit I do drive like a granny at times but on a long trip I get mid 40s to 50 mpg and recently on a weekend in the Chilterns it did actually reach 60 mpg with a bit of cruising down hill. Maybe my maxidot is faulty!

My partner has a 1.4 TSI which I also drive but I can't get as much displayed mpg from that as the 1.8 TSI

Yes, I do put my foot down sometimes and love the engine. Turbo cars for me in future I think.

Hi giff 

i will let you know about my 1.8 tsi when it’s back from the garage again mate so that might give you an idea of my thoughts 

I've a 2010 60 reg 1.8 tsi. (L&K) If you can get one that has had the chain tensioner problem sorted, then its an absolute blinder of a motor.

I bought mine 2nd hand and it had already been fitted with a new engine after a tensioner fail, so I have a late 2013 engine fitted. (had to find this info out myself as dealer/service book didn't record info but all the 2013 engine parts was dead giveaway)

I've owned it for over 2 years now and have had no problems, and have no plans to change it. Just changed shocks and springs and its as tight as a drum.

Its remapped, probably close to 200 horses now(the basic 160hp is generally an underestimate.), and I get 33 mpg town use, 38 mpg rural A roads, 40+ on long runs motorway. (With heavy right foot these figures diminish but not too much)

One big proviso with this engine, change the oil often and regularly, and it will repay you in kind.

Edited by promethian