Dash cam location

Tried the search, breifly, and couldn't find a post.

Anyway I'm getting a dash cam and wondering where on the front screen to put it. Was thinking of either behind the mirror but there's the big plastic bit or top left but the passenger.

Recommendations or tips and pictures welcome. 

Thanks 

My Blackvue 650S 2CH setup is Front camera slap bang in the middle behind the mirror, the Blackvue has a small stick on mount so it's tucked up just under the Black plastic LA camera housing.

The rear camera is also in the middle of the rear screen at the top and is just in the sweep of the rear wiper.

3 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

My Blackvue 650S 2CH setup is Front camera slap bang in the middle behind the mirror, the Blackvue has a small stick on mount so it's tucked up just under the Black plastic LA camera housing.

The rear camera is also in the middle of the rear screen at the top and is just in the sweep of the rear wiper.

Ditto with my 750.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Ditto with my Toguard dual dash cam set up. The front camera is just behind the rvm and the rear is as above, smack bang in the middle at the top of the rear screen.

The only thing is that the camera slightly obstructs the view when going downhill and round to the left, so I'm wanting to raise it up a bit. Problem is the little black dot's surrounding the rvm.

I'm trying to figure out what I can use to get the sucker mount on the front camera to stay put over the black dot's surrounding the rvm? Any ideas, please shout out.:thumbup:

19 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Ditto with my Toguard dual dash cam set up. The front camera is just behind the rvm and the rear is as above, smack bang in the middle at the top of the rear screen.

The only thing is that the camera slightly obstructs the view when going downhill and round to the left, so I'm wanting to raise it up a bit. Problem is the little black dot's surrounding the rvm.

I'm trying to figure out what I can use to get the sucker mount on the front camera to stay put over the black dot's surrounding the rvm? Any ideas, please shout out.:thumbup:

I don't use a sucker mount, but used double sided gorilla tape for my mount and it's held for well over a year on the black dots :)

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I don't use a sucker mount, but used double sided gorilla tape for my mount and it's held for well over a year on the black dots :)

Cheers for the info. I'll have to get some and try it. I can bend up a little bracket and stick it on that way :thumbup:

This is the one that l have been using for the last 2 years or so. Been in my last car and now in the new replacement. Easy to install too.

Screenshot_20180608-124841.png

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

This is the one that l have been using for the last 2 years or so. Been in my last car and now in the new replacement. Easy to install too.

Screenshot_20180608-124841.png

Where's it mounted ? Any pics?

Worth noting that some insurers will drop the price of insurance if you use a dash cam from a approved manufacturer, i have a nextbase 512 gw, great bit of kit hidden behind the RVM .

1 hour ago, seanbrady49 said:

Worth noting that some insurers will drop the price of insurance if you use a dash cam from a approved manufacturer, i have a nextbase 512 gw, great bit of kit hidden behind the RVM .

Not all require an approved manufacturer. I was simply asked if I had one, no mention of an approved list or which model I had.

4 hours ago, JaminWales said:

Where's it mounted ? Any pics?

Here you go. I'm planning on moving it up slightly to lessen the slight impairment of my view. But I like this one as it can't be used against you if Mr PC plod decided to confiscate the memory card to prove you may have been slightly over the speed limit:D this doesn't have GPS logging built in. :thumbup:

IMG_20180608_190827.jpg

46 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Here you go. I'm planning on moving it up slightly to lessen the slight impairment of my view. But I like this one as it can't be used against you if Mr PC plod decided to confiscate the memory card to prove you may have been slightly over the speed limit:D this doesn't have GPS logging built in. :thumbup:

IMG_20180608_190827.jpg

You should definitely move that, you'd be lucky not to get pulled and fined for that. It shouldn't impair your view at all.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

IMG_20180608_190827.jpg

Yeah looks a bit intrusive, I'm guessing it would be ok to put higher up and to the left or right of the mirror? 

3 minutes ago, JaminWales said:

Yeah looks a bit intrusive, I'm guessing it would be ok to put higher up and to the left or right of the mirror? 

In all fairness the picture makes it look worse than it is, it's not quite taken from my eyeline when driving.

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

You should definitely move that, you'd be lucky not to get pulled and fined for that. It shouldn't impair your view at all.

It's been there in that position near on 2 years, not once had a tug from an officer of the law. As above the picture makes it look worse than it really is.

But as in my earlier post, I'm planning to change the mount and raise it more in front of the mirror.

Aukey dual dashcam, front is hidden like other posters and same for the rear. I think it looks better hidden and it's probably safer than smack in the middle of your eye line

IMG_20180608_211601.jpg

Better view from my eyeline. No where as bad as in the earlier picture. 

Been like it 2 years, but planning to lift it out of view more this weekend.

Forgot to mention earlier, I think tthat the camera should be more akin to the drivers view as much as is reasonably practicable/safe, rather than off to the passenger side, then if the footage is needed to be relied up on in a legal case following an accident, it will give a more realistic view from that of the driver.

Just a thought.

IMG_20180608_213219.jpg