Octavia nose dives on pullaway

I have the nose dive to a certain extent in first and second gear, I have tried to'adjust' my driving to compensate for this. 

As I'm on a PCH deal I am not in a position to even consider changing cars, it would be interesting to see if anyone has been to see their dealer about this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using my Octavia in sport mode for the last couple of weeks and it certainly does seem to lessen the nose dive problem to the point that I don't notice it now. The sport mode hasn't affected my fuel consumption and I prefer the slightly heavier steering.

• 2 months later...

It's been a long time since this thread was touched.  Another thread explained how the ACT engine varies the valve timing so that on overrun and idle there is a large overlap to provide very low fuel consumption in those conditions. However, the valve timing is altered mechanically and needs time to adjust to full power mode. So, when you go from idle to pull away, it is necessary to allow time for the valve mechanism to adjust to avoid the nose dive effect. I have taken this on board as it gives a good explanation for what I have experienced and now and I wait for the revs to rise before releasing the clutch, but it is still easy to get it wrong. I have played with the driving mode set  up and for whatever reason, I think the throttle response is best in ECO mode. Has any one heard anything from Skoda about the problem? Has any one got any other solutions to the problem?  

Karoq forum has a 22+ page thread on this 1.5tsi topic. Plus other threads here and Karoq about problems at low speeds in 2nd gear, kangarooing, and the elevated idle speed issue that people experience before the latest softwae update 

Someone on a T-Roc forum (with the same engine) said VW had quoted that a fix is being worked on and planned to be available in Q2 2019 (yes, its really that silly).

My theory/posts about Miller cycle operation being at the heart of the problem have been proven to be wrong as the 150ps version is configured to operate with a conventional OTTO cycle, just like the wonderful 1.4tsi that preceded this engine.

Edited by xman

• 1 month later...

My wife has exactly this issue with her 68-plate 1.5 TSI and today stalled it at a junction - that is a safety issue Skoda and needs to be sorted.  Despite dealer's protest 'the 1.5 TSI engines do that' it is going back.  If they cannot sort it I will pursue the 'unfit for purpose' route.  Our last 1.4 TSI did not have this problem and we will not keep a car with it.

• Like 1

That settles it, shredded my Skoda Kodaq 1.5 configuration summary and will keep my 1.4 Octy. Ridiculous situation in my opinion, I too am one of the old school who can remember having to double de-clutch when cars had no syncromesh.  IF you cannot control the throttle/clutch you cannot drive safely or confidently.

• Like 2

Johnny T 2, I guess that's the DTUK pedal response control. Does it solve the problem? If it does give instant pedal response then it will give some explanation of what causes the problem. But shouldn't Skoda solve the problem?  I have tried to drive around the very poor throttle response from tickover for a year now and today I stalled the engine at lights. I have had the car for one year on PCP and on many counts, I want to pay the balance and keep the car but I am really P.O. on the problem of making a smooth and reliable standing start. Not a drag start or a power start, just a smooth and reliable take off without the passengers complaining about 'where did you get this lumpy petrol'.

On 09/01/2019 at 14:38, Flying said:

If they cannot sort it I will pursue the 'unfit for purpose' route.  Our last 1.4 TSI did not have this problem and we will not keep a car with it.

On 09/01/2019 at 17:50, ajw1100 said:

That settles it, shredded my Skoda Kodaq 1.5 configuration summary and will keep my 1.4 Octy.

This is the only way of getting it through to Skoda / VAG that this really is not acceptable. 

ajw1100 - Hope you make sure that Skoda dealer and Skoda UK are quite clear that this has lost them a sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I'm new to this forum. I've recently obtained my new Octavia 1.5tsi with manual gearbox. I would like to ask some questions or add my view related to this problem/characteristic.

1.  I've seen some threads here for Octavia regarding issues with high revs or nose dive/kangaroo issues but not as many as for koroq or t-roc forums. There are many many more complains regarding this issue and more and more people complain for other models. This engine and gearbox is same across all VAG group (as far as I know). I'm wondering why are there only some models of cars where people complain about these issues. For some models there are only few people complaining (like here in Octavia thread) and for some models there are no complains

2.  As i mentioned I bought my new Skoda Octavia with 1.5tsi engine and manual gearbox. I can pull away pretty smooth without nose dive but when there is cold start I can't fully release the clutch in 1st gear. I need to change to 2nd gear a little bit before the clutch is fully released. Another option is to use higher revs. Also when I use only clutch to pull away (without any throttle) when engine is cold I need to change to 2nd gear before the clutch is fully released. When i change to 2nd there is no lack of power and car is moving smoothly without any issues. in some time after the cold start when the engine is warmer I can release the clutch fully in first gear on pull away.

Does anyone anyone have same experiences with his/her Octavia 1.5tsi? I mean i can live with that "characteristic" i just need to be careful when I have cold start I need to change to 2nd before the clutch is fully released and after some time I can do what ever I want. I still wonder how it is possible that there is different behavior for this engine across VAG group models. Or is it the same but just different people feel it differently?

• 1 month later...

My 1.5TSI does this all the bloody time. I feel like a right clown when driving. My wife, who drives the car more than I do, has managed to adapt her driving style to overcome it - I haven't yet!

• 6 months later...

Had a call from Skoda UK this afternoon..

They (allegedly) have a fix for the kangaroo!.

Car already booked in this afternoon for a whole week to investigate headlights that don't respond to the 'drive on the right' setting and a clock issue where it does not update when driving abroad, despite having the 'set time from GPS' setting enabled...

Will update next week

Good luck vegit8!

The thread on the karoq forum regarding the kangaroo is livening back up with reports of software updates, the majority (based on a small sample) appear to be having a positive effect, though early days still. My car's due a service in a couple of months so will be eager to find out if there's an update for my car by then. Trying to keep my expectation low though.

Edited by AlexBlue

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2019 at 08:02, AlexBlue said:

Good luck vegit8!

The thread on the karoq forum regarding the kangaroo is livening back up with reports of software updates, the majority (based on a small sample) appear to be having a positive effect, though early days still. My car's due a service in a couple of months so will be eager to find out if there's an update for my car by then. Trying to keep my expectation low though.

Update news!!!

Last Friday I got may car back after a week in the hospital (the car not me)...

Of the 3 reasons that it was in I managed 1 result, I draw and one loss.

The Loss?... According to 'Skoda Technical' the LED headlights (that do not change side even after setting them to drive on the right) are working correctly. They tried to tell me there is an imperceptible difference between the settings - but when set to the right they will not blind European drivers. I disagree and have raised this as an escalated issue with Skoda UK. 

The Draw?... The (master) technician called me regarding the infotainment unit not updating the clock to another time zone even after setting 'Set time by GPS'.. He told me that he had done (lots of technical) things to the unit, and I should 'see' if that has fixed it the next time I go to France...

The WIN.... ta da... They applied an update to the ECU which has killed the kangaroo!

Finally I now have a car that is driveable, even SWMBO can manage to pull away smoothly.

Everyone with the 1.5Tsi - who has this issue should demand that their dealer applies it forthwith.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just phoned for my second service next month. No scheduled software update 😥 my18 (built may 18).

I don't think mine's anywhere near as bad as some are describing, and as has been suggested at least once in here, it feels like it's a lot to do with the revs changing as the clutch goes up making it more unpredictable to control the required throttle.

This is very interesting. I asked about a software update back in January 2019 when my car was serviced and at that time I was told that there was no software update (and no problem) and that I should take it up with Skoda customer services. Back then, someone on this site had posted that there was an intended software update due in the second quarter of 2019. In May, I phoned Skoda C.S. and they said that there was no update available, and I assumed that there would not be an update. BUT having read this recent post, I called S.C.S. again today and they said contact the dealer where I bought the car. I did and they knew of the update. They had told me previously that because it was 'Not a safety issue' they would not be calling me and that I would have to find out about any update myself. Whatever, my car is now booked in for a E.C.U. software update on 25th October. This ECU update does now exist to overcome the engine hesitation and poor throttle response, at least I hope it will correct the problems. I suggest that any one who suffers from the nose dive on pulling away should get on to their dealer and tell them that there is an update available, or maybe wait until some more owners have tried the update first. I will report to the site as soon as I have tried out the update, though vegit8's report sounds very encouraging. Thanks vegit8 for letting us know.

I understand that there is an update for my car which was built in late 2017. It is a 1.5 Tsi ACT manual. It was a very early example of this engine type and the 1.4 Tsi was still available. I was persuaded to go for the 1.5 because I was told that it would hold its value better. It's a good car apart from the very poor throttle response from idle. 

I took my car as pre-arranged to the dealers where I bought it last year, for the E.C.U. software update this morning ( to correct the engine hesitancy on pulling away). I sat and read the newspaper for about an hour and the job was complete and the car had been washed and vacc'ed. The work was recorded on the car's electronic record and I was given a paper copy to keep. I got into the car and started the engine. Before I moved away, I tried blipping the throttle a few times and I was immediately aware that the engine response was 100% better. The engine responded much faster than it used to. I drove home and found the car much easier to drive and the anxiety over every pull away started to diminish. The engine also seems smother and quieter around town also. Since this morning I have driven about 30 miles in mixed traffic with lots of start/stop; I always keep the engine stop/start feature enabled. The update makes for a much more relaxing drive when every pull away does not require intense concentration on balancing the clutch and gas pedal and over-revving the engine. I later realised that I had previously set the engine mode to select 'sport throttle response'. I don't know if that makes any difference to the updated software but I had set it before the update in the hope it would give a sharper response, though I never noticed any improvement. Whatever, the improvement to the throttle response after the ECU update is immediately noticeable and makes the car much easier to drive and much more relaxed to live with.

• Like 2

Another 200 miles and I am pleased with the improvement to the drivability of my 1.5 Tsi ACT Octy. I recommend that anyone who has the nose dive problem with this engine should get on to their supplier and ask for the software upgrade.