Skoda dealer OIL

3 hours ago, silverden said:

Three times a year  :worried:  I don't think so !

I think the OP was trying to make the point that if the customer drove 30,000km per year they would require 3 services on fixed but only 1 service on variable.

Which of course is still wrong.  Again people making the mistake that variable = 30,000km.  It's up to 30,000km. so the car could require 2 or 3 services on variable - just depends on how it's driven.

Edited by Guest

Yet taxis that work 24 hours can have the least wear and tear as they are always hot.  Regular Oil & Filter changes as well,  but not crazy short mileage oil changes.

The government will fix that though when sitting ticking over is banned.

• Like 1

IT ALMOST IS!!! its recommended to switch off when stationary and soon, all new vehicles will have stop-start technology as standard. Might be pointless though as not long after, oil burning vehicles will no longer be sold!

" Quote"...  With the fixed system, to keep the warrenty, they needed to service the car e.g. 3 times a year.

Not so but even if it did, there is no legal obligation to get it done at the main dealer, it just has to be done at the correct intervals, with the specified service items being done. Stamped up and bills to prove, naturally.

11 hours ago, retiredbri said:

It says 9,400 miles so because he has used long-life oil, tomorrow I will call the dealer to see if he will change it to Variable servicing. I'll let you know how I get on

My Octavia 1.6 tdi was on variable when I bought it 5 months ago.  It's due a seervice etc in around 2000 miles according to the Infotainment.  As I only do around 7000 miles a year I queried with my local dealer about going onto fixed servicing.  They told me not to worry about it and just stay on variable because if it was changed to fixed it couldn't be changed back again to variable.  I'm still considering going to fixed when the service is due though.

11 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Again people making the mistake that variable = 30,000km.  It's up to 30,000km. so the car could require 2 or 3 services on variable - just depends on how it's driven.

Seen a few reports on here lately of people with cars on variable regime taking their car to the dealer 'cos it's telling them a service is due, only to be told that they'll just reset the service indicator and wait till the 30000km comes up before they'll do a service. Make of that what you will; I guess it's only on cars where the servicing is included in the purchase deal, so there's no cash to me made by servicing it properly.

2 hours ago, mrgf said:

" Quote"...  With the fixed system, to keep the warrenty, they needed to service the car e.g. 3 times a year.

Not so but even if it did, there is no legal obligation to get it done at the main dealer, it just has to be done at the correct intervals, with the specified service items being done. Stamped up and bills to prove, naturally.

I didnt say you had to service at a main dealer, just you have to service it.

If you go back to Skoda & complain your turbo has blown up but you didnt change the oïl or filters in the last 3 years, they will give you the bill for it..

13 hours ago, Scot5 said:

I think the OP was trying to make the point that if the customer drove 30,000km per year they would require 3 services on fixed but only 1 service on variable.

Which of course is still wrong.  Again people making the mistake that variable = 30,000km.  It's up to 30,000km. so the car could require 2 or 3 services on variable - just depends on how it's driven.

The point is it is cheaper for high mileage drivers because they dont need a service every 10k miles.

The point is that High Milage drivers / owners might want to have the Oil & Filter change at the 18,500 - 20,000 miles, 

& want Air Filters & Pollen Filters changed, and when paying with their or Company money then Main Dealers are maybe not worth giving your money to.

If you can drop off the car, get a courtesy one and get on with the miles you need to do when you want to do them then good.

As it is Skoda, VW, SEAT & Audi dealerships are that busy with The Fix, fixing those going wrong from The Fix, fixing Warranty issues from poor QC at the factories that booking a service can be for 21 to 28 days now. 

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  Some hope!

Gabbo, i was just mentioning, not implying that you knew not of such a fact that anyone qualified can undertake the service as l;ong as its backed up and documented... Others may think they MUST go to the main dealer and many dealers like you to think this is the case! Also, as we are referencing main dealers and for accuracy, you said "They" which either implies the owner OR the dealer so it was a little bit vague as to the meaning. I never actually mentioned waiting three years either, servicing at the proper interval is integral the good running of the car and in keeping the service history/warranty in check. I would think by the time you had run the car for three years, the warranty has expired anyway. Mine was but then, I purchased in 2009. Might be five years now. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry about not getting back earlier but here are the "words" from the garage.

"This garage have not been charging the customer correctly for the oil (previous invoices charged for 8 units of 0.5 litres of oil when we were using the Skoda defined 4.2 litres of oil.) We are now charging for 4.5 litres because that is the minimum we can bill for on our invoicing system"

"Regarding the Variable servicing, we will set it to variable free of charge if you bring the car back in" 

I took it back 28 Jun 2018 and it was set to variable.

A Satisfied customer!

...And an amendment to the issue of idling, as mentioned in the earlier thread. i recently saw an ad or notice, might have been on a bus shelter or school gate or something that fines are being issued for drivers caught idling without need, halved if paid early, just like parking tickets. I doubt know how anyone can define if it is needed or not as you might be repairing/working on said vehicle or using a pump to inflate tyres, etc. Perfectly reasonable. Might be extremely cold so keep running to heat the car. Its just the parking gestapo all over again! (Might even be connected as my daughter was saying where she works, the Traffic Enforcement Officers don't ticket a car that has the occupant in it and engine running, if they are parked in the incorrect place as its too difficult to prove they are not just collecting/picking up a passenger, etc. So now, they can ticket for idling, instead!

^^^ Which Area / Local Authority area was this in.   It would be good to see what By-law the have introduced and under what law they can apply a penalty.

There has been plenty mention of this being introduced, and where a Local authority issues a Taxi Badge / Permit maybe they can apply a Rule like that.

On 18/08/2018 at 17:48, mrgf said:

fines are being issued for drivers caught idling without need

Good! It's ridiculous how often engines are left running.

using a pump to inflate tyres

You don't need the engine running for that!

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:26, silverden said:

My Octavia 1.6 tdi was on variable when I bought it 5 months ago.  It's due a seervice etc in around 2000 miles according to the Infotainment.  As I only do around 7000 miles a year I queried with my local dealer about going onto fixed servicing.  They told me not to worry about it and just stay on variable because if it was changed to fixed it couldn't be changed back again to variable.  I'm still considering going to fixed when the service is due though.

It's probably easier to leave it variable.

My Octavia was last service Jan 2017. My ownership started in May 2017 and I've not serviced the vehicle at all. Variable scheme says I'm due in 2000 miles, meaning ~Jan next year :D  I rarely drive my Skoda, last time I bought diesel was in June.

As much as good oil change is good for the engine, unnecessary oil changes is generating extra pollution. Perfectly good long-life engine oil comes out of the engine at 7000 miles. So just leave it and service every 2 years.

Cheap motoring, it's not like the engine will run for 200k miles trouble free if engine oil is changed regularly. Other components will fail before a badly looked after engine (EGR, DMF, engine mount, injectors, glow plug, etc)

I am the original poster. 

When I first got the car it was on a zero% finance plan with 3 free services thrown in. I did 19,000 in the first year (most on motorway, 65mph, 2 persons on board and with few, gentle hills). After 17 months, I had used up the 3 free services. 
I wanted variable servicing because the engine (for the majority of the time) is running at optimal speed, optimal temperature, 2k revs (7 speed DSG) and always having warmed up properly.  Long life oil has always been used even though it was on Fixed servicing and it always looks fresh and free flowing, never black or sludgy.
Having to pay for two services a year is, I think, excessive.
By the way, in nearly 60,000 miles I have only ever had to add 1 litre of oil.

Edited by retiredbri
typo