1.8 tsi gen 3 oil consumption??

Hi,

did anyone experience significant oil consumption with a 1.8 tsi gen 3 engine?

My car was manufactured in November, 2017. I already have 8600 kms in it. Until 7000 km it consumed no oil at all. At 8100 km i noticed two "points" of oil missing from the dipstick. According to my experience from previous tsi engine (gen 1 CCZB 2.0 tsi), one "point" is equal to about 1 dl of oil. 

Today i checked oil level again, at 8600 km. Another two points missed from the dipstick! That means the car consumed about 4 dl of oil in just 1500 kms. And before it consumed no oil at all!

How is that possible? I thought the gen 3 1.8 (and 2.0) tsi engines no longer have the oil consumption issue!

I know, the manual says 5 dl/1000 kms is normal consumption, but that would be ridiculous. The Skoda service "of course" said, that's normal.

The car still has the factory filled oil, there was no oil change so far.

Any ideas?

?

Do you do a lot of short trips when the engine and engine oil is not getting up to an efficient operating temperature?

It does not say anyplace that 0.5 litres oil in 1,000 km is normal consumption.   Just 'Normal to use oil'. 

They say may use and go on about use etc. 

Driving style, weather, all the nonsense they use to cover themselves, 

Best get started with letting Skoda your Warranty provider be aware of the issue, then get onto getting an Official Oil Consumption test carried out.

*You have checked as they advise, and you are finding you have an excessive oil user sadly.*

eg.

w960_4095-227.png.770c157c672f613020746830067891b2.png

Edited by Offski

A colleague has the same engine in the Leon 5F and it uses some oil.

I can't work out from your post what a DL is, but ultimately if it's close to the guideline on usage then push for a consumption test under warranty. That would be the best way to determine actual consumption.

FWIW I have the 1.8 EA888  gen3, had it from new, often short trips, cold starts, check it regularly but it does not use a drop. third time in a row Just prior to its yearly service, still in the  'A' band (above) done about 20K now

I did however put a bit of thought into running it in when new, Not sure it made a difference but I do it anyway.

I have the same experience as flybynite and norsko. 

Oilconsumption is minimal. Never had to fill a drop between services. 

And I do lots of short trips, with wintertemps as low as -15 deg C.

Mine is a 2016 1,8 TSI. For its first year ~ 15k km (1/3 highway driving on long trips, 2/3 crawling in city traffic) it had a very slight drop (1 or 2 points) but no need to top it before getting serviced. In its second year, though, I have so far needed to fill about 0,6 L in 20k km and it keeps dropping. However I would say that most of it happened in Germany on the autobahn so I am not really surprised it used oil at those speeds.

While on the subject: when asked about the dreaded water pump failure my dealer suggested that in order to keep the transmission in good shape it might be a good idea to keep the oil level up (instead of waiting for the computer to sound the alarm for low level) as it would somehow improve the wear on the transmission when the engine is cold. I'm unsure if it makes sense technically but I thought it can't hurt.

I followed the manual's instructions while running it in. By the way, i drive cars for more than 20 years now, so i don't think i did anything wrong.

I have short trips too, but i always go for longer trips also, so that the engine can reach ideal temperature. So i don't understand why is this happening. Could it be the rear main seal issue?

I hope it's happening just because the enigne is still new.

Edited by gripx2

On 14/06/2018 at 17:24, ahenners said:

A colleague has the same engine in the Leon 5F and it uses some oil.

I can't work out from your post what a DL is, but ultimately if it's close to the guideline on usage then push for a consumption test under warranty. That would be the best way to determine actual consumption.

Deci-litre or 100ml I’d assume

• Like 2