I have bought an Skoda Octavia Elegance on a 2014 plate from Lookers in February .The car came with 1 year  waranty and it had almost 20K .
I absolutely loved the car so I was well happy with my purchase.
Couple of days after bought it I was driving it and had an error appearing on my dash "Error Workshop :leave vehicle only when "
I have contacted the dealer and been told  that this may due to the fact that the doors are not closed properly . I wasn't convinced with the explanation but I thought it was a one off.  One month later I had it again and then again one after another month . 
However 2-3 weeks ago I had it when on the motorway at 70 mph and 2 days later again while I was doing less than 20 mph into a roundabout . Since then I had another couple of times showing up randomly . I can't find a pattern as why this happens . 
I have looked on Briskoda forums and than find this thread https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/426096-error-service-leave-vehicle-only-when-selector-in-position-p/
which I have to say gave me shivers as they talk about a serious issue with the DSG.
As I have been pretty busy at work I kind of postpone contacting the dealer but yesterday morning when I was returning home I had the management light coming on board.
I did not feel any loose of power or entering into a limp mode . I pulled out and stopped the car and start again but the light came back on . So now is there everytime I switch on the engine.I have read in the manual and on the forums about this which again is not good news.
I have contacted the dealer yesterday and he replied and said " the problems sound unusual" and they will book the car ASAP to look in depth at the issues.At this moment nobody called me back to book the car yet.

I have done 2500 miles since February and on a car that is only 20k bought from a approved dealer which has been fully checked and inspected is not something I would expect.
I am getting cold feet as I not sure I can trust this car anymore and not sure how I should proceed about it.I am sure the dealer will fix it but then what if this happens outside of the warranty as it seems quite serious issues . Can I push them to change the car ? What are my rights here ? What would you do in my place ?
I am sure that some of you around here could give me some good advice hence the reason of this post.

20180620_102052.jpg

Hi,

With regards to the "Error workshop..." message - I had mine looked at last Saturday for the very same thing (vRS TDi DSG).

I took a printout of the dashboard picture from the thread you mention above - car was hooked up to the diagnostic machine and they confirmed a new selector was required without hesitation (thankfully under warranty).

As for the other issues - hopefully the computer throws up a couple of fault codes they can chase to get to the bottom of.

TL;DR - let the dealer look at it and hook it up to the diagnostic machine to hopefully get to the bottom of everything.

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

This is known issue with some of the older cars & as stated above I believe requires a new shifter.

Its a known problem & you are only 5 months into your warrenty so the garage should just repair it for free without question.

Reading the thread you post, its only changing the electronic shifter part so nothing to be overly worried about. Its not like they have to change the entire gearbox.

With regards to the engine management warning light, you need to read the fault code with a diagnostic tool or take it to the garage.

This could just be related to the same error with teh shifter but could also be another fault.

Without knowing the fault code its difficult to give you any more advice.

Edited by Gabbo
  • Thanks 1

Always make an effort to get the car booked in as soon as an issue arises.

Taking pictures of the error message is a good thing. Dealers often claim that there is no fault code logged. Your response then can be to tell them you don't care, the fault was there (show them the picture). Leave them the car, drive away in one of their courtesy cars, and ask them to call you when they've fixed it. Make sure you get an explanation as to what they've actually done before picking the car up.

If you don't do this you'll be subjected to at least one more, probably several more, instances of having to ring the dealer, book the car in, drop it off, ring them for an update, pick it back up etc. etc.

Don't wait for the dealer to phone you back either, you'll be waiting a long time. You need to be proactive and ring them again. Booking the car in shouldn't require a call-back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for advising me, 

I have been pretty busy today and had no chance to call the dealer.

"silver1011" you are absolutely right if you don't push this guys they never call you back . To say I am dissapointed with their  service is an understatement it seems they not interested once they got your hard earned money.

I will make sure I will get a full explanation as what happened and will update the thread .

• Like 1

I used to get this "error-service-leave-vehicle-only-when-selector-in-position-p/" message , and then shifter was changed under warranty, but then after that I saw this message "Error Workshop :leave vehicle only when " appear couple of times but really very rarely. Apparently along shifter there is some kind steering electronics that needs changing as well..

• Thanks 1

As mentioned above its a gear selector problem. Get that changed and all your problems are gone :-)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everybody for advice .

The car has been fixed under warranty and the gear selector  was faulty  . The light was coming up as the Lambda sensor was having a fit as well.

Both issued been fixed at no cost to me but on the invoice parts and labor was just shy of a thousand pounds.

I need now to have the car serviced as it nags me I have 24 days left . I think I have to use only Skoda dealership for service as I still have warranty until  Jan next year and don't want to give them any reason not to honor it.

Has anybody used Garland in Aldershot ? They are quoting £159 for an interim service 

12 minutes ago, Isleman said:

Thanks to everybody for advice .

The car has been fixed under warranty and the gear selector  was faulty  . The light was coming up as the Lambda sensor was having a fit as well.

Both issued been fixed at no cost to me but on the invoice parts and labor was just shy of a thousand pounds.

I need now to have the car serviced as it nags me I have 24 days left . I think I have to use only Skoda dealership for service as I still have warranty until  Jan next year and don't want to give them any reason not to honor it.

Has anybody used Garland in Aldershot ? They are quoting £159 for an interim service 

Haven't used them, but £159 is the Skoda published maximum for a minor service on the fixed price scheme. Some dealers *might* do it for less, but I think those will be the minority.