10 weeks in, comments and a check or two

Well, the last 10 weeks have flown by, but I've had chance to become acquainted with my new Superb.

First off,I don't think the car is as coherent as my my old Yeti was. By which I mean that the engine, handling and steering don't seem as well matched. In particular, the firm Sportline suspension feels at odds with the character of the 1.4 engine.

The engine encourages a relaxed, grown up driving style but the ride is a bit harsh. I'm wondering if the SE-L with its softer suspension and higher profile tyres would be a better partner for the engine.

On the occasions where I have let my hair down a little, the steering feels a bit remote, so I don't think I'd be totally at home if I'd followed my original plan and bought the 280 either.

It's disappointing that the 1.4 has the little brakes, but as I'm not driving like a go kart that's not a worry for me.

I'm still very wary of the width of it, and there have been many occasions when I've decided not to drive it as I'm worried about getting it dinged in the car park. I know I should take my new car everywhere, and I'm sure I will when I've got a few more miles on the clock.

The online features were fun for a few days but I've not used them much since.

Whatever, whilst I've not bonded with it in quite the same way I did with our Yetis, it's still an excellent car. It looks magnificent, the missus loves that it's like a limo with a monster sunroof and it's got a boot the size of Belgium. I have, of course, taken a fridge freezer to the tip in what feels like a Superb right of passage.

I'm still finding out things about it that I like, such as the hill hold (auto handbrake) button which I only discovered yesterday.

Having looked through the forum, I think I know the answer to my (current) outstanding queries but would appreciate confirmation in case I've missed something...

I think...

1. When I head off to France in the summer I have to manually change the vehicle setting to driving on the right and that will both get the lights to dip the other way and avoid the DCC getting confused. Similarly I need to change units to km manually.

2. The car can't be persuaded to properly remember that it's in eco mode after it's been switched off so I need to manually select it each time I start it up.

3. Whilst the car happily pairs to my phone and stays paired with my phone, I can't stop the pairing message regularly appearing on both the phone and Columbus.

I'm sure there's something else. If it occurs to me I'll add it to the list.

On your query 1, I went abroad in April/May this year and it automatically changed the lights and ACC to right-hand traffic as soon as we drove off the ferry in Dunkirk.  Every time the car was started when we were away, a message flashed up for a few seconds that the lights were adjusted to right hand traffic.  The ACC adjusted too and ignored traffic on the right on motorways but slowed down if there was slower traffic in the left lane unless you overrode it.  I assume you mean ACC getting confused rather than DCC as that needs no adjustment for right hand traffic.

Whether it changes automatically will depend if it has Amundsen or Columbus sat nav fitted and factory xenons. I think there is an option in car setting screen...

I think halogens have to be set by moving levers in the headlamps, but I could be wrong.

Edited by xman

1. You shouldn't need to do anything if you have xenons and satnav. However, if you do it is Car--Settings-Light. Remember the beam pattern will not be altered (AFS system) as long as you are driving on the right. However, since you appear to use 'eco' mode a lot then it is not operational on that setting here in the UK anyway. Thus you will not notice any difference. I dont know about halogens but suspect that Xman is correct.

2. Yes you do need to select eco each time. A pain but the way it is.

3. Cant help with that question 

Good to hear you're enjoying it Gyp.

On point 3, do you have more than one phone paired? Have you tried clearing out all pairings on both the Columbus and the phone then pairing the phone again?  Mine is a one-to-one set-up (never bothered pairing SWMBO's phone to the car for example) and I've never seen this message.

1 hour ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Good to hear you're enjoying it Gyp.

On point 3, do you have more than one phone paired? Have you tried clearing out all pairings on both the Columbus and the phone then pairing the phone again?  Mine is a one-to-one set-up (never bothered pairing SWMBO's phone to the car for example) and I've never seen this message.

Just one phone paired to the Columbus.

It seems to happen when I unplug the phone from the USB cable (which it's connected to for Android Auto and err charging).

I'll try clearing and repairing.

3 hours ago, Sagalout said:

2. Yes you do need to select eco each time. A pain but the way it is.

older(2015-2016) models do remember last mode,

i can only guess engineers are idiots or stupid, maybe all together :)

Also on 10 weeks this week!

On point 3. Yes it does as you say for me as well - after plugging in - the next time bluetooth gets a bit confused and does some screen stuff both on phone and car (sometimes but always). I just ignore or accept (either works for me) and carry on. Annoying/confusing but still working.

Not to jump on your thread too much but my human 'issues' are ACC related (see other threads I have commented on) but think I have got the hang of it now.

Generally the car is fab and a huge difference to my Honda Jazz before! I am not really used to yet using the higher rev ranges when it  goes like a rocket :) Trying to use them for running in was difficult but fun! Time will get used to that.

Only 'real' issues are intermittent driver door rattle/vibration (also another thread), that I need to be looked at soon but as intermittent difficult to get recording of to take to dealer. Is very annoying when it does it however. Also have a weird one with Columbus and its own sim, where sometimes lately there is no SIM connection/4g etc at all for whole trips, but works next time . Not found out why (and not always noticed its not working either!)

All minor points (well not the rattle but hope to get that fixed) and on the whole all great.

On 27/06/2018 at 13:37, Gyp said:

Just one phone paired to the Columbus.

It seems to happen when I unplug the phone from the USB cable (which it's connected to for Android Auto and err charging).

I'll try clearing and repairing.

What phone is it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Slight update...

Just back from a 1,500 trip to France.

Car advised me I was in France when I got there and displayed the (now out of date) French speed limits, but did not change the time, lights, MPH to KPH etc so had to do those manually.

On the trip the car collected a deer (thankfully no damage to the car but more than a little to the deer), cracked the undertray getting out of a driveway and picked up someone else's door paint on the near side rear in a supermarket car park. Add that to the wing mirror/bus incident and its first supermarket ding on the offside rear quarter, that's one incident every 560 miles.

Other than that the car has been fine. 41mpg average, 47 or so on a run. Transported 3 adults from Gloucestershire to Rennes and 3 adults plus about 80 litres of booze back in total comfort.

It does feel like simply a huge wagon rather than one of the family like the Yeti did, but it's doing what it was intended to do very well.

i do still need to sort out the phone stuff (especially as we failed dismally to get media command to work) but that's of minor importance