Why is my Octavia Combi so HIGH?

Hi 

Received my brand new Octavia (the face lift version) in November 2017 - and noticed that my ride seems higher than that of the newer Octavias ever since...

Se picture for reference (mine is black, the "low" one is grey)... The grey represents the VAST majority of the cars in my country (Denmark)... Only a few look like mine.

Has there been an update in the suspension specs or has my car got a "wrong" set mounted?

I prefer the looks of the lower octavias compared to mine... Mine looks like Skoda had no clue reg. tolerance chains and just added plenty of gap to absorb potential wheel/bumper clash... 

Does anyone know if there has been a technical spec update which resulted in lower cars since i got mine? Do I have a case for a warranty job here, or should i rest my case?

(Octavia height spec sheet says 1460mm and always did - but it's hard to measure that accurately)

//gkev

Ride height.jpg

Just now, nidza said:

Rough road package car on the left, no rough road on the car to the right?

Might be - although i did not order that specifically... Is there any way to identify whether the package is mounted or not? An ID number or a special feature to look for?

On regular Octavia should have additional plastics from front until the rear axle. One big for engine undertray and two long for each side of bottom (in between is exhaust pipe not covered).

Something like this on the side:

1443078d1448361951-love-hate-relationshi

It is not hard to measure the height of a vehicle, Max height as the Official Figures.

Put a piece of wood or some straight long thing, a roof rack bar will do across the roof rails at the highest place and measure from ground to the bottom on the straight edge.

10 minutes ago, Offski said:

It is not hard to measure the height of a vehicle, Max height as the Official Figures.

Put a piece of wood or some straight long thing, a roof rack bar will do across the roof rails at the highest place and measure from ground to the bottom on the straight edge.

Yeah - but then again it's hard to eliminate uncertainties like e.g. the wood being perfectly leveled, road indentations at the measuring point and etc, considering accuracy in millimeters over such a big span. 

How much of a lift would a rough road package add?

Stop at a road surveyor and they can measure the height for you with a lazer.

You park on level smooth ground, get a spirit level, and get the official figures if that bothered.

As it is many 'clearance' heights given are wrong with Rough Road Packages as the gubbins fitted they have less clearance with some models than say a Greenline that comes with smaller circumference tyres and figures of lower roof heights.

If you do not like the look and style over function is more important when the car is loaded just getting lowering springs.

A 2015 thread, so pre facelift.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/352373-rough-road-package-increased-ground-clearance 

Edited by Offski

Or check the build codes on the label in the service book or sticker on the boot floor. For my Scout - 2UB = rough-road design, not sure if its the same for other models.

31 minutes ago, match14 said:

Has the grey one had optional sports suspension fitted?

I don't think so - almost all Octavias here look like the grey one, and sport suspension is not part of the "style" package here in DK.

I highly doubt that 95% of the Octavia owners have actively selected this option... But I may be wrong. I will look for the shield plates on my car later today - haven't checked this yet.

This will isolate whether or not the Rough Road Package is installed.

How do all of your guy's Octavias look like? Like mine or the grey one?

5 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Have you checked that the transport blocks have been removed? Commonly overlooked by dealers  during pre delivery inspection it would seem...

+1 :nod:

Gaz

So, i had a look underneath the car this afternoon... Is this it? is this the Rough Road Package? The whole floor seems covered except for the exhaust pipe...

Se the pics (taken from the front, facing the rear) below. If this indeed is the RRP, can this be the cause of my high ride?

//gkev.

Left side.jpg

Right side.jpg

6 hours ago, nidza said:

Hard too tell.

25021131037_fed5387a69_b.jpg

Believe it or not, this thing _has_ rough road package, but luckily it doesn't add height to RS.

So did mine - I guess due to Finnish winter with all the trails of ice and snow scrapping under.

11 hours ago, GKE said:

So, i had a look underneath the car this afternoon... Is this it? is this the Rough Road Package? The whole floor seems covered except for the exhaust pipe...

Se the pics (taken from the front, facing the rear) below. If this indeed is the RRP, can this be the cause of my high ride?

//gkev.

Left side.jpg

Right side.jpg

Indeed it is. :)

You have just gotten yourself additional equipment free of charge. Should be thankful to your dealer actually. Springs can be always replaced with shorter ones, but this nice protection stays. Actually, since you're half way to Scout, I would look around to Scout factory wheels and buy them for the summer set.

Wow there you see... so this is positive i guess... having received the RRP without it being requested.

Changing the springs to "ordinary" ones will probably change the suspension feel then i presume?

Thanks to everyone for solving my mystery.

Springs and shocks would need changing to revert to normal probably. Could also affect alignment which is fixed at the rear, factory set. I've read comments that RRP is a little softer than standard and less crashy.

RRP is an option I would tick if ordering new.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/06/2018 at 08:22, nidza said:

Indeed it is. :)

You have just gotten yourself additional equipment free of charge. Should be thankful to your dealer actually. Springs can be always replaced with shorter ones, but this nice protection stays. Actually, since you're half way to Scout, I would look around to Scout factory wheels and buy them for the summer set.

It would seem my new Octavia Estate also has this (sorry for poor pics).

john

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

• Like 1