Replacing my Mk1 VRS for a Mk2 VRS TDI a good idea? Or engine swap to TDI?

Hello guys, at this moment I drive about 8k (miles) per year with my VRS and since last year I am in a relationship and my mileage is going upwards.

Since we like to travel and do small road trips I am considering trading my Octavia for a Mk2 VRS TDI. But is this a good idea? Have anyone regretted to go TDI or VRS Mk2 in particular? 

I would also consider swapping the engine to a 1.9 or 2.0 TDI, but don’t know if the later 2.0’s would fit. The Passat bi-turbo would be fun though hehe... I also guess the WRC spoiler is a bit to much show for anything under 200 bhp, so would have to be replaced by the OEM RS spoiler.

really a lot of food for thought!

Pro:

Newer base, perhaps stronger body and more comfortable 

Better economy for TDI

Better performance and upgrade possibilities for petrol Mk2

The wife doesn’t like the seats, she prefers the seat in her 207 (they are good!), maybe the Mk2 have better seats?

Con:

Some European cities are banning diesels (at this moment before 2004, but for how long?)

Hard to trade in a Mk1

I’ve spend loads on my RS, both maintenance and upgrades like the 370 mm TT RS brakes. Well 4K when I bought it in 2014 and 9K since. And it is hard to sell it for a penny.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by dcstuurman

Personally I'm not a fan of the later vw 2.0 tdi lumps anyway.

If you've spent that much on the car to start with I'd be tempted to transplant a 1.9 ARL (150bhp) into it.

Came in Mk4's for 2002 only and badged as gti with red I.

Some all red tdi Bora's and many many Leons. 

I had a mildly tuned Leon ARL up to 215bhp and it went very well and could do 60mpg 

22 minutes ago, fwdnewbie said:

Personally I'm not a fan of the later vw 2.0 tdi lumps anyway.

If you've spent that much on the car to start with I'd be tempted to transplant a 1.9 ARL (150bhp) into it.

Came in Mk4's for 2002 only and badged as gti with red I.

Some all red tdi Bora's and many many Leons. 

I had a mildly tuned Leon ARL up to 215bhp and it went very well and could do 60mpg 

Hi! I am considering this engine, but by that time I’ve read they are a bit laggy and on/off depending on boost. Maybe mapping would help in this matter. I’ve read 190 bhp and 410 Nm is about stage 1, so what have you done to get it to 215 bhp? I’ve also heard about wild stuff with this engine... 

Ive had 2.

First was in a mk4, was rolling roaded at 156bhp in standard form at 108k miles.

Was stage 1 mapped by Rtech to 196bhp

2nd was in a Leon, was only a pipercross panel filter, decat and map and saw 215bhp

Only thing is the camshafts can be fragile and need a very specific oil but other than this I cant fault them

Still a fairly small turbo so lag is minimal and comes in at around 1800rpm  

2 hours ago, fwdnewbie said:

Ive had 2.

First was in a mk4, was rolling roaded at 156bhp in standard form at 108k miles.

Was stage 1 mapped by Rtech to 196bhp

2nd was in a Leon, was only a pipercross panel filter, decat and map and saw 215bhp

Only thing is the camshafts can be fragile and need a very specific oil but other than this I cant fault them

Still a fairly small turbo so lag is minimal and comes in at around 1800rpm  

They are very interesting, Van Vught Tuning offers them to over 280 bhp and 481 Nm and 2 stages in between. So could perform over the AUQ engine. 

Unfortunately the engine is classified Euro 3 and in some cities they are banned. In most cities in Holland they are starting environmental zones where petrol cars before 1992 and diesels before 2001 are banned. So critical and near critical...

I've gone from a mk1 1.8T vRS to a facelift mk2 2.0 TSI vRS. I didn't actually plan to but things happened and I don't regret the path I have taken. There are pros and cons are like you say. The clutch let go on the mk1 and it have been worth about €1.54 if I tried to sell it as a whole car with no clutch and a turbo that's on the way out. So it has been broken for parts. Could you do this to your mk1 if you upgraded? I really loved my mk1 and it was a very painful decision to make to strip it.

I find my mk2 refined, economical, good-looking and a pleasure to spend time in. I had mk4 Golf Recaros in my mk1 so can't do a direct comparison with the mk2 seats. However, in standard form at least, my mk2 is less exciting to drive and much slower than my modified mk1. 2.0 TSI engines are very tunable with minimal upgrades though...

I think you need to have a drive of some mk2s, both petrol and diesel, spend some time with them and see what you think. I took a punt on my mk2 as it had engine damage when I bought, so I only got as far as sitting in the driving seat making "bruuum bruuum" noises before laying down the cash for it.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

you say you were doing 8k miles a year.

it would have to go up significantly to be worth changing to diesel.

i run my vrs daily and do about 25k a year, varies with work but not sure even that mileage would benefit from being diesel v the cost of fuel.
i wouldnt change fuel system, but thats me,

• Like 1

On 06/07/2018 at 03:00, KTP said:

you say you were doing 8k miles a year.

it would have to go up significantly to be worth changing to diesel.

i run my vrs daily and do about 25k a year, varies with work but not sure even that mileage would benefit from being diesel v the cost of fuel.
i wouldnt change fuel system, but thats me,

Yes, that is correct. Last year was about 11k. Since exactly a year I have a GF and we have loads of plans to travel. But you’r right it might not be interesting. In Holland it is about 1,70 for 98 octane and about 1,30 for diesel. Euro’s that is, is the difference about the same in the UK? Annual road tax is 704,00 for petrol en 1.388,00 for a diesel. Both in 1.250-1.301 kg class. Is there a road tax in the UK?

On 06/07/2018 at 10:22, KenONeill said:

Well, I've driven mk1 and mk2 diesels over the same roads, and IMO the only advantage the mk2 has is more legroom.

Really? Wooh, wouldn’t except that.

13 hours ago, dcstuurman said:

Yes, that is correct. Last year was about 11k. Since exactly a year I have a GF and we have loads of plans to travel. But you’r right it might not be interesting. In Holland it is about 1,70 for 98 octane and about 1,30 for diesel. Euro’s that is, is the difference about the same in the UK? Annual road tax is 704,00 for petrol en 1.388,00 for a diesel. Both in 1.250-1.301 kg class. Is there a road tax in the UK?

Petrol and diesel are both around £1.30 a litre here at the moment. Road tax since 2001 is based on emissions. My VRS is about £260-270 ish a year I think. A similar diesel car (1.9 or 2.0 TDI Golf/Ocatvia/Leon/A3) would probably cost me less to tax and be more economical but I prefer petrol engines and I think the running costs of my car have been pretty low (including servicing, repairs and insurance) so it could actually cost me more in the short to medium term to change my car for a diesel.

I haven't driven a MK2 but its not as tunable is it? Depends what you're going for. I can't afford to keep my MK1 running as a student, and if I drive like a granny, max I'd get is 34mpg in urban.... The diesel would get you much more imo

Tax costs and brackets have nothing with emissions and never have.

They are all subject to change at any point so purchasing a car on its tax class is a pretty bad idea and is best forgotten about.

We are all probably only a matter of a couple if years away from £200 minimum whatever lump you have in mk1/2's  

Diesel is about 10-15c per litre cheaper than petrol over here at the moment, and typically stays about that gap, so added to the economy saving a diesel makes more sense.... 

Up until 2008 our tax was based on engine capacity, so my old 2004 mk1 1.9 diesel octy cost €670 per year tax. My 2009 2litre diesel insignia is €370 as its on the newer carbon emissions. Had it been on the old set up it would be €730..

The problem is, people see the tax and fuel cost being cheaper and bought thousands of diesels they didnt need or drive in the right conditions for them to actually save money (short journeys and commutes and never getting proper dpf regens complete) add on that the vast majority of people have no mechanical sympathy and thats why many modern diesels have dpf issues, dont give the economy people expect (ridiculous published figures dont help either) etc. The owners have no sense of there being anything wrong until its too late... 

OP - you dont need a diesel ;)

• Like 1