Fuel cap anti lose cord

Hi there , can anyone help regarding if you can purchase the fuel cap cord that comes as part of the fuel cap as mine broke this morning ,picture below of piece I'm  talking about , no doubt it's a whole new cap :crying:.

IMG_1502.PNG

Edited by fabman
Wording

Yep a whole new cap. I tried the dealer. The parts guy and I went through lots trying to find just the lead to no avail. Others may have had better success.

Yeah I am not paying that , think I will try and make one myself with large/ long cable tie 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fabman said:

Thanks for reply Danny , seen a couple on eBay as used parts , how much was new one ?

I am not sure now but thought it was about the same as vborovic states. Simply left it broken as I always take it off and put it on top of the fuel filler flap anyway.:D

It is very annoying for something that is worth £1-£2 at most is tied in to the whole cap and all, especially as it is an obvious wear item.

• Like 1

Yeah ok I have some light flexible rubber edging that I might try and use to join two parts together, cable tie idea is sacked ;)

I don't think its unique to the Superb....many VAG cars use it.

I think it's similar to the SEAT LEON and EXEO unit....might be cheaper? 

Dave

• Sad 1

Fixed it now with some u shaped soft rubber , glued both broken parts together within u channel and seems to be working fine now.

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I may have found a very cheap (but new) alternative for our fuel caps (the types which have a cord with and O-ring on the end, not a plug type) apart from the dealer ... aliexpress (not advertising, but hey, they're cheap) ... I've ordered the "Black" type for my car (as that's what my current fuel cap looks like) ... for $15, as a new part, free shipping, you probably won't be able to find a cheaper new fuel cap anywhere ... you could find one used from a breakers yard, but it will probably cost you (much) more ... can't speak about the quality in advance, but for what it needs to do, I guess it should be all right.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-Fuel-Tank-Cover-Gas-Cap-Switch-For-Audi-A4-A6-Q5-A3-A8-C5-Q7/32862176248.html

• 2 weeks later...

The cap is supposedly on its way (received a tracking code, but how it usually turns out, you can't track it in any way, and it should come from Singapore - sadly, I have bad experience from that country, several parcels never received - though the refunds has been given (props to aliex's support team) ... I hope I'll receive it within two weeks, and that it will be exactly what we're all looking for (at a reasonable price) ...

• Like 1

The fuel cap was received today, already installed, and it works. It even looks and feels like a genuine part (who knows, maybe it actually is). There is only one downside (relative) of the received new fuel cap - the screw/ridge part is a bit longer, meaning you'll have to turn 2-3 more until you tighten the cap to the point until top switch starts skipping (meaning you've reached the required sealing tightness) compared to the stock cap (well, at least in my case) ... I've also figured out why the rubber fuel line cord breaks close to its anchor point on the fuel tank inlet - the fuel tank door's hinge always shuts the cord with it (unless you yourself put the cord out of its way before closing it, shown clearly on the last photo), making it break sooner or later ... fault with the design, or possibly done intentional, so they can sell you an expensive fuel cap some years later...

All in all, for the price, I'm not complaining, it's not like I'm refueling the car every few days that a few extra turns create a bother ... I've tried checking whether or not it would be possible to put the cord from the new cap to the old one - not impossible, but a hassle, requiring cutting and gluing and keeping your fingers crossed that it would hold long enough afterwards (basically, on the level of @fabman's first aid shown a few post earlier). The received cap and cord comes with a plastic bolt (shown on photos #1 & #2), which is not needed, so I've removed it from the cord. The cord's hole easily goes over the fixed anchor point. Reminder, my car is a 3.6 FSI, whether or not the design of diesel-powered engines and the actual refueling intake has some impact on the design of the fuel cap, I don't know (meaning, this might not be a suitable solution for your actual car, so first visually check what your part looks like exactly and whether or not my choice would help you).

My old fuel cap was part no. 1J0 201 553 AD, the new one is 1J0 201 553 O.

IMAG1695.jpg

IMAG1696.jpg

IMAG1697.jpg

IMAG1698.jpg

IMAG1699.jpg

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1701.jpg

IMAG1702.jpg

IMAG1703.jpg

IMAG1704.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like it does the job perfectly, so you can twist it in further to ensure tight fit so no leaks of fuel out ,

• great shout also on what causes the cord to fail due to door closure :clap:

3 minutes ago, fabman said:

so you can twist it in further to ensure tight fit so no leaks of fuel out

Not exactly, both caps are identical in size (length), but there is more thread on the second one, that's why you need to turn a few times more until it is properly closed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Gdcobra said:

Why do you hang the dirty side of the cap on the nice shiney painted side of the filler flap?

:blink: ... you have any other way of demonstrating the cord length without using your hand(s) and thus not being able to show the important parts on the photo?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vborovic said:

:blink: ... you have any other way of demonstrating the cord length without using your hand(s) and thus not being able to show the important parts on the photo?

I always hang it so the dirty bit of the cap on the inside and that would still show the length.

Only trying to help stop you getting the fuel of Satan all over your pride and joy.

2 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

I always hang it so the dirty bit of the cap on the inside and that would still show the length.

Ahh - interesting!  I've used the same  justification for wearing skinny jeans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3