Smartlink Activation Skoda Yeti 2016

ZackyD

8 hours ago, Expatman said:

Not sure if any system works solely through Bluetooth. By connecting the phone via USB the phone is controlled by Smartlink Android Auto via the car display, although many items are disabled due to “safety”. Basically you can use mapping software, phone and music but not a lot else! Mind you the sat nav systems available on your smartphone are easily a match/superior to the in car satnav.

I agree; having the ability to use both Waze & Maps is very useful - whether or not it's worth the cost only time will tell...

55 minutes ago, freedie said:

There is NO cost to using Waze and Maps if one doesn't pay for Smartlink. Smatlink is not necessary for navigation, music or phone.

This is true, I thought the integration between the vehicle & my phone would be better. As I said (or at least implied) time will tell if I am right or not...

1 hour ago, freedie said:

There is NO cost to using Waze and Maps if one doesn't pay for Smartlink.

So how does the infotainment system mirror the phone to display that?

1 hour ago, Urrell said:

This is when you either need an Android head unit or SmartLink I believe.

Replacing the MIB2 head unit is not worthwhile as far as I'm concerned - it is quite a good unit. The question, as far as I'm concerned, is whether it better (for a given value of "better" 😉) to have activated the SmartLink or to have a suitable mount for my 'phone. However, the SmartLink does "integrate" the 'phone with the controls (steering wheel functions like volume control as a petty example) whereas having mount possibly doesn't... 

4 hours ago, freedie said:

There is NO cost to using Waze and Maps if one doesn't pay for Smartlink. Smatlink is not necessary for navigation, music or phone.

2 hours ago, Urrell said:

1 hour ago, mustrum said:

This is when you either need an Android head unit or SmartLink I believe.

I thought that it was what this thread is about, displaying information on the head unit?
Android head units will come with Smartlink so saying you can use the apps without Smartlink is a non starter.

You can use any Smartphone App independently of the head unit, beauty of Android Auto is that all directions, maps and inputs are made via the head unit when the phone is connected to the Head Unit through smart link/android auto. It makes Waze - or whatever system you choose to use - act as if it was in inherent part of the head unit. That’s what you pay for and I find it invaluable even though I have Skoda satnav in my car, Waze and Google maps are more accurate and the feedback on jams, obstructions etc. is far better than the inbuilt system.

On 29/06/2019 at 08:32, freedie said:

There's no cost to using motorway service toilets for a crap either if that's the thinking behind your comment. You don't need Smartlink for many day to day actions, but if you want Waze, Google maps etc. to integrate with the head unit and display in the screen then it's pretty important.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:07, Urrell said:

I thought that it was what this thread is about, displaying information on the head unit?
Android head units will come with Smartlink so saying you can use the apps without Smartlink is a non starter.

Do Android head units come with Smartlink? I was unaware of that...

4 minutes ago, mustrum said:

Do Android head units come with Smartlink? I was unaware of that...

Guess what part of Android do you think Android Auto is?

Smartlink is Skoda's name for the Android Auto / Apple Carplay compatibility system. Android head units won't have Smartlink, but they could well be Android Auto compatible if they're a new enough Android version

• Like 1

I don't think any of the Chinese Android based headunits support AA out the box. There are plenty of branded (Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood) double DIN units which do support AA/CarPlay but I doubt any are running Android :)

16 hours ago, mustrum said:

But smartlink isn't a part of android auto - surely it merely makes use of it?

Smartlink is Skoda's way of getting you pay extra to use Android Auto on your phone through the car's infotainment screen.

15 hours ago, langers2k said:

I don't think any of the Chinese Android based headunits support AA out the box. There are plenty of branded (Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood) double DIN units which do support AA/CarPlay but I doubt any are running Android :)

I suspect quite a few do.
Like in phones it makes it easy for manufactures to use it or put their front end on it.

Edited by Urrell

How long was Smartlink actually a thing? IIRC it only became available in 2016 and was gone on the Octavia 3 FL by late 2017. 

I was thinking its a bit rough to still have to pay for it on a 2017 Yeti, but I guess earlier cars are even worse off.  

Smartlink was available on Yeti from May 2015, from November 2014 to that date it was MirrorLink, that was nowhere near as useful.

• 1 month later...
On 28/06/2019 at 22:34, Expatman said:

Not sure if any system works solely through Bluetooth. 

Just some BMWs from 2017 onwards, recent Minis and some Audis from 2019.  BMW want an annual subscription of £89 though!

It's strange because Wireless CarPlay would be convenient, and can't need any more hardware.  Apple must be charging a premium for it...