205/50 R16 tyres on the Fabia VRS

I have just completed work on the suspension including new drop links and having the alloy wheels refurbished. New tyres all round too.

As the roads are now TERRIBLE in my area of Hertfordshire I elected to have 50 profile tyres fitted instead of the stock 45. Already enjoying the ride much more. However as there is more volume of air in the tyre now, what would be the suggested pressure? Im trying to work it out mathematically but my skills lie in other areas. So if anyone has any suggestions before I just start trying out different pressures I'd be very appreciative of your input.

Just to update I am very impressed with the new tyres. They are Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance and on my commute the rode quietly and navigated the tight high speed motorway slip road with good steering feel and turn in. Running at stock pressure feels fine, just hope they wear evenly. One positive is that the speedo now reads almost true - just 1 mph over at 70. I found it tiring having to keep adding 'extra' MPH to the displayed figure especially in changing limits. I won't have to do that now.

Will do Ken. Surprisingly, the old Vreidestein tyres on the front showed overinflation wear pattern upon disposal despite regularly checking pressures with calibrated gear. So I will definitely be taking note.

I don't know why the VRs wasn't fitted with this tyre size as standard fitment. Seems to corner better as less skitter over broken surfaces on bends and more compliant over really bad sections.

12 hours ago, king_o said:

Great, thanks......I need tyres soon and may get these as well. (same colour as mine too!!)

I think you will like the 50 profile - I know I do. Only minor negative is the taller sidewall means the front is less 'darty' on small steering applications - but cornering power and grip are unaffected - in fact a bit better on rough corners.

I have noted my MPG is up a little too - but that just may be the newer tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Bucks and the roads are not much better here just had my 17inch spiders refurbished getting my standard wheels done too, my cars been lowered 30mm would 50 profile rub on standard wheels? Highly recommend wheel clinic in Northampton they are brilliant!

Not sure if lowering will make for rubbing. Look inside the nearside rear arch, there's a bit that protrdes at the back. My 50's missed it at all suspension loads - but not by much. Mine is standard with stock 16's. Plus if you have 17's, rubbing may be a bit more likely. I used Max Powder in Apsley. Another good one. No nonsense and a great gang.

Edited by Tailhappy