For goodness sake, someone stop me...maybe!!

20 hours ago, Estate Man said:

Surprisingly Bill, the modern GTS Vespas are very stable at any speed, and over rough roads. They handle very much like a motorcycle these days. It's the trailing link suspension and something called ESS (enhanced sliding suspension) that does it. This keeps the suspension and wheel geometry in total alignment at all times. Couple that with a very stiff monocoque steel frame, the abs, traction control and very sticky radial tyres, and she's happy to glide along at a comfortable 75-80mph all day (subject to speed enforcement). The engines are modern fuel injected liquid cooled units with fully automatic transmission, and will usually go around 100,000 miles between overhauls. They are good. Are you a bike man?

My GTS300ie...

IMG_20171113_115052.thumb.jpg.e6ce622fee96a411f5d2c7b680302531.jpg

Gotta say that's a nice Vespa! I'm about to buy me one next year, sadly just the 50cc, for work commute. I'd love to have a PX or a GTS but then I would need a motorbike drivers licence (extra 1000-1500 euros) and the insurance costs are high as well. The 50cc is considered to be a moped so insurance low, no need for an extra licence and most importantly no need to pay any parking fees as you can park it anywhere just as with bicycles :) Let's see if I can find a 1960's or 70's Vespa 50 somewhere...

ANY Vespa is good! You won't be sorry you bought one. They are all very modern now and offer car type reliability. I'd encourage you to get your motorcycle license in full, eventually when your funds allow it. The bigger Vespas, well, are bigger with much more power and taking on the traffic is no problem. Mine goes 0-62mph in around 8.4 seconds.  I came back from Birmingham to North Essex with a passenger after a day out to the NEC and the bike performed faultlessly over the 350 miles of every type of road you can think of. I kept to 65-70mph most of the time and it returned over 81mpg, it was extremely comfortable and smooth. My bike has traction control and abs as standard. It has 'heated grips' so you never get cold hands, puncture resistant tyres that self seal, a fender extender at the front to reduce stone chips, a gps/phone charging point in the glovebox and a huge underseat storage area. It's got loads of other stuff onboard but can't remember everything just now...lol! I have a rear rack leather topcase so I can carry just about anything I might want for the day. Mrs Estate woman finds it extremely comfortable. It's my 'go to' two wheeler and I use it above any of my other much bigger bikes as it is just so nice to ride. Incidentally, George Clooney has one and rides it regualarly!! I ride in all weathers too and yet the bike has remained in perfect condition, but it is only two years old at the moment but looks completely new. I'll rack up around 15,000 miles on it in the next 18 months as I have some serious touring to do. My aquaintance, Quezzie, has just ridden hers around the US completing over 60,000 miles in 3 years on it. 30,000 miles of those were completed in the first year of the trip. she has the 250cc vesion which is largely the same as my 300cc bike. Just some further info teraja...good luck!

3 hours ago, Estate Man said:

ANY Vespa is good! You won't be sorry you bought one. They are all very modern now and offer car type reliability. I'd encourage you to get your motorcycle license in full, eventually when your funds allow it. The bigger Vespas, well, are bigger with much more power and taking on the traffic is no problem. Mine goes 0-62mph in around 8.4 seconds.  I came back from Birmingham to North Essex with a passenger after a day out to the NEC and the bike performed faultlessly over the 350 miles of every type of road you can think of. I kept to 65-70mph most of the time and it returned over 81mpg, it was extremely comfortable and smooth. My bike has traction control and abs as standard. It has 'heated grips' so you never get cold hands, puncture resistant tyres that self seal, a fender extender at the front to reduce stone chips, a gps/phone charging point in the glovebox and a huge underseat storage area. It's got loads of other stuff onboard but can't remember everything just now...lol! I have a rear rack leather topcase so I can carry just about anything I might want for the day. Mrs Estate woman finds it extremely comfortable. It's my 'go to' two wheeler and I use it above any of my other much bigger bikes as it is just so nice to ride. Incidentally, George Clooney has one and rides it regualarly!! I ride in all weathers too and yet the bike has remained in perfect condition, but it is only two years old at the moment but looks completely new. I'll rack up around 15,000 miles on it in the next 18 months as I have some serious touring to do. My aquaintance, Quezzie, has just ridden hers around the US completing over 60,000 miles in 3 years on it. 30,000 miles of those were completed in the first year of the trip. she has the 250cc vesion which is largely the same as my 300cc bike. Just some further info teraja...good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I agree any Vespa is good :)

The motorcycle vs moped thing is not that much about the cost of license and insurances but more of parking problems with a motorbike. You can leave a moped Vespa on the front door at work or when shopping but with a motorbike you have to reserve a spot at work and pay for it...