Yeti 1.8TSi brand new engine - a success story!!!!

aka_pseudonym

Anyone know of any garages in the Redhill/Surrey area that would undertake the work, I’ve contacted several garages who either don’t want to know or just the say the engine needs replacing 

reply to enquiry from Station View garage Dorking today:

Thank you for your enquiry, but if its using that amount of oil then it clearly needs the engine replacing at that mileage it wouldn`t be cost effective its clearly burning oil internally which is common on these at this mileage, if you can provide the registration no. then I can raise an estimate for you to give you an idea at least.”

Station View Garage All Your Vehicle Requirements Under One roof
Call now on 01306 880 149 to book your appointment at Station Road, Dorking, RH4 1HF

Visit our Website  |  Follow us onFacebook  |  Twitter

Quote from that garage in Dorking

im not even going to justify my time to reply to them

Ok so after looking into things there is only 1 option we would be happy fittings and that’s an exchange engine from Skoda, subject to full strip down we estimate £12,500 inc parts, labour and vat

If you wanted to proceed the engine would need to be paid for at point of booking as non returnable, so the engine alone is £8582 inc vat

Let me know if you want us to proceed

Many thanks

Paul

You clearly like the car…..but I personally think this is a lost cause. Especially at the prices you are being quoted. 

I was checking prices on autotrader for a similar spec car to yours and they come out at about 5k in the UK.

Just thinking out the box here, would it not be best to spend your dosh on a similar car and keep the one you have as a clone. Lets be honest, you will have a lot of spare parts when something goes wrong.

Just a thought.

Edited by MCAMRA

13 minutes ago, MCAMRA said:

You clearly like the car…..but I personally think this is a lost cause. Especially at the prices you are being quoted. 

I was checking prices on autotrader for a similar spec car to yours and they come out at about 5k in the UK.

Just thinking out the box here, would it not be best to spend your dosh on a similar car and keep the one you have as a clone. Lets be honest, you will have a lot of spare parts when something goes wrong.

Just a thought.

Its not that I like the car mate, its how much its worth to me atm, I can't afford to replace it - its a question of can I get it repaired for cheaper than it would cost me to buy an equivalent motor and of course that comes with another set of baggage.

The £12k quote above was for a brand new engine as they weren't prepared do anything other than replace the engine.

I don't have the space or the money to maintain another.

Edited by Yetski

14 minutes ago, Yetski said:

Its not that I like the car mate, its how much its worth to me atm, I can't afford to replace it - its a question of can I get it repaired for cheaper than it would cost me to buy an equivalent motor and of course that comes with another set of baggage.

The £12k quote above was for a brand new engine as they weren't prepared do anything other than replace the engine.

I get your point…but I am guessing here that whole exercise is going to cost 2.5 - 4 k maybe if you go down the replacing the engine route.

Then you are going to drive it around and thinking…..have they done this right ?

What you really need is to find an age old wise mechanic that can give you an idea of what is going on. 

In my day there was one in every town and village. Now you just have garages that want the most expensive and easiest solution.

The engine could be fine !

You need a mechanic to solve your problems.

Edited by MCAMRA

5 minutes ago, MCAMRA said:

I get your point…but I am guessing here that whole exercise is going to cost 2.5 - 4 k maybe if you go down the replacing the engine route.

Then you are going to drive it around and thinking…..have they done this right ?

What you really need is to find an age old wise mechanic that can give you an idea of what is going on. 

In my day there was one in every town and village. Now you just have garages that want the most expensive and easiest solution.

The engine could be fine !

You need a mechanic to solve your problems.

100% - That's exactly what I'm trying trying to find.

For all I know it could be just a clogged pcv valve that needs replacing..

Edited by Yetski

34 minutes ago, Yetski said:

100% - That's exactly what I'm trying trying to find.

For all I know it could be just a clogged pcv valve that needs replacing..

You have these in Redhill…..which I guess you have tried ? ?

https://www.vdsperformance.co.uk/

or these..

https://www.tcgarage.com/

I would go for a more rural garage to be honest. Even if means driving further.

I wish you all the luck in world to solve your problem. We have all been there and share your pain.

Kindest.

The thread on the 1.8 and 2.0 TSI,s and their early demise is pinned at the top of the Octavia MK2 section. Plenty posts from members about their engine rebuilds, cost etc.  the garages that are quoting on new engines do not want you as a customer or the hassle but if you were prepared to pay the cost of getting another car to them they would be delighted to have you as a customer / mug.