Engine light on

Hi all, my dads 2002 Fabias  engine lights on. The codes are 17560 and 16891. It’s a 2.0 azl engine. He’s experiencing high revs (1500) especially when warm 

any ideas?

Edited by Chris S

I'm not sure whether it's relevant, but it's well worth having a good look at the brake servo vacuum hose anyway; the points where the hard plastic tube sections go over hose barbs at each end, and either  side of the non-return valve, seem very prone to splitting. Just found one on a friend's 2005 Polo hanging on by a wing and a prayer either side of the NRV, whilst doing a completely unrelated job on her car.

20180719_153158.jpg

Edited by Wino

15 hours ago, TMB said:

Are they new A/C pipes it has on?

I thought I'd replied to this yesterday on my phone, but obviously failed.

The whole engine bay is very clean, despite the car having 90k+ on the clock. Unfortunately one of those two pipes may be responsible for a total-loss refrigerant leak, at the point the G65 sensor sits.  Not sure yet whether it's an o-ring, welding or sensor problem, lots of oily mess around the pipe though, unlike the ends you can see.

5 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

Maybe the air is very clean down there?

Extremely dust-bowly just now actually!

Apologies to the OP for going off topic.

In my limited experience of fridge pressure sensors, they start to leak across the sealing area where the sensor seal touches against the metal Schrader valve adaptor - or more likely the same face on the other side of that sensor, ie the body of that sensor and that causes the gas and oil to leak down over the body of that adaptor stub, if caught early enough, like I was lucky to find on my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza, it is very obvious where the leak/oil/gas is coming down from. So fingers crossed that all it is, these sensors have been revised maybe more times than the brake pedal switch - and they were not revised for fashion or fun, I don't think that a new O-ring seal is included with the sensor so you will need one of them as well. Now, if it is that, you could be lucky and be able to clean up the corrosion on the sealing face and save some money, but I did not want to chance wasting any of my R134A, so I bought a new one, probably from Mike!

Dust-bowly - well that over up here now for a while, gentle light rain showers to damp the dust down, lovely for walking down to the bus stop to start on the journey to collect my wife's Polo from its second holiday at the VW Hotel.

Actually it is mainly the salt from winter gritting coupled with lots of snow and rain to "propel" that nasty salty mix into the front of these cars that sorts out that nice silvery new look on these alloy fittings quite quickly up this end of UK - probably the same stuff that causes the corrosion in these sensors sealing face.

Edited by rum4mo

9 hours ago, Wino said:

I thought I'd replied to this yesterday on my phone, but obviously failed.

The whole engine bay is very clean, despite the car having 90k+ on the clock. Unfortunately one of those two pipes may be responsible for a total-loss refrigerant leak, at the point the G65 sensor sits.  Not sure yet whether it's an o-ring, welding or sensor problem, lots of oily mess around the pipe though, unlike the ends you can see.

Ah I see.

Edited by TMB