Skoda Kodiaq Dash Camera Installation Guide

silver1011

That's as good a guide as I've seen for installing a dashcam - well done.

When I install my dashcams, I do a couple of things different which might speed up the process.

1:  I can't understand the issue with the piggyback fuse holder and blue 15amp fuse ( rear wiper ).  Yes, if you place it with the power lead coming out the bottom, that large metal electric seat fuse will stop the piggyback assembly from seating properly but all I do is place the fuse holder the other way around  i.e. so the piggy back fuse assembly now covers the brown 5amp and pink 30amp fuses to the right.  I use the piggyback fuse holders than come with NextBase cameras - seems such an obvious solution?  Perhaps the OP's fuseholder is of a different design.

spacer.png

2:  I don't unscrew any bolts to get my earth. Again, from the excellent pics taken by the OP:

spacer.png

All I do is use an m8 nut on the exposed thread in the above pic so you end up with:

IMG_20201127_124913074.thumb.jpg.7fdf4ed2fbcae5ec6a9854afc89914c5.jpg

Hope that helps someone.

PS.  Installation is exactly the same for the Octavia Mk3, Kodiaq and Karoq ( I'm guessing others as well ) but have to say in the case of the Karoq, the trim on the A-pillar is nowhere near as plyable as the Kodiaq.

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

I would use the same installation for powering WiFi battery router as I have 50GB data/per month to spend and the kodiaqs with prod.date 2021 come without sim slot. 
As I learned that the power outlets disconnect 10 minutes after switching off, maybe a fuse number. 40 is OK ? ( 12-volt power outlets )  
Now I use the standard cigarette power outlet but it is a mess with the cable. 
What is your opinion ? 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Brilliant guide, I really appreciate the effort you put into this, My Blackvue camera is now working a treat.

I thought I'd give something back, which might help others doing the same thing.

Something I couldn't find the answer to was the correct orientation of the piggy back fuse. Both ways round will actually work but electrically one is wrong and one is right. I've attached a drawing to explain it better.

On mine, the Ignition 12v terminal was on the top and the connection to the wiper was the bottom.

Thanks again to everyone.

FuseBox.JPG

Piggy Back Fuse.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just an update for anyone tackling this.

I upgraded my Blackvue dash cam for a new model, unfortunately the new camera needed both ignition +ve and perm +ve connections, so out with the old cable and in with the new.

Two piggy back fuses.

Ignition +ve - Fuse 47 (Rear Window Wiper)

Permanent +ve - Fuse 40 (12-volt Power Outlets)

Hope this helps someone.

DSCN2761.JPG

• 1 month later...

Using this well written guide, I have installed a Viofo A229 duo to my 2018 Kodiaq. I managed to fed the rear camera cable through the roof lining. But, I can't  get the boot lid cover off. I can easily get the cover free around the bottom and sides, but can't shift it from the bottom of the rear screen. Can anyone offer some advice on this? I really want to run the cable through the rubber grommets/sleeve so it looks like it belongs there - not an after thought.

Apart from this snag, the camera works well and the rear camera wiring doesn't seem to have affected the DAB radio reception as some have reported. The design of the dash cam main unit means that it doesn't  get in the way of the passenger sun visor.  I do have an issue getting the camera to talk to my android phone via WiFi. I usually have to reboot the camera. But this maybe an issue connected to security features installed by my company - I can't find any posts where others report the same problem. Photos to follow if/when I can properly Finish the install.

Sorry Sven I can't help you with the tailgate cover however, if I may, give you some advice on the tailgate rubber grommet.

West End Skoda in Edinburgh fitted the rear parking camera to my car, their technician broke the retaining clip for the rubber grommet that lead to a water leak. He/she clearly new they had broken it 'cause they tried to stick it back in with some black silicone rubber. Slightly off topic - when the car went back into West End Skoda for them to replace the grommet they managed to scratch the side of the car, it won't ever be going back to them again.

The cover, I believe, is the same as the Volkswagen Tiguan.

Many thanks Andy for your reply. As this maybe more problematic than I first thought, I will look at making a small hole in the rubber surround and thread the cable that way. I'll certainly have a look at VW Tiguan to see if there's any more help there. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know if its the same guide for a karoq dash cam installation. The dash can I want to use I need it to be wired for the parking sensor to activate when the engine is switched off please.

• 3 months later...

Stumbled across this excellent guide, deeply appreciated. 
I am planning to install 2 dashcams that are currently powered by USB instead of cigarette plugs. Is this achievable? My Kodiaq also has heated and electrically adjustable seats.