Automatic unlocking and window closing?

I've just swapped cars from a Mk1 L&K estate to a Mk3 Scout 150hp.

I had the Mk 1 tweaked so that the car automatically locked when it reached 10mph or so - but (and this is important) so that it did not unlock when, having stopped, I pull the key from the ignition.

As things stand at the moment, the Mk3 will either automatically lock, and then unlock everything when I take the key from the ignition: or not automatically lock, and not unlock when I pull the key. Has anyone managed to get

this altered by getting the comfort unit (or whathaveyou) adjusted electronically?

And a similar point with respect to the closing of windows when locking using the key-fob remote. The old car used to close windows and sunroof when I locked the car - i.e. one quick press and they all closed. The new one requires me to stand by the car keeping my finger on the button until they all close. This seems rather a backward step - so i wonder again whether anyone has managed to get one-press window/sunroof closing on locking enabled?

I'd be very pleased to hear of any relevant experiences!

Thanks

18 hours ago, Sangrail said:

I had the Mk 1 tweaked so that the car automatically locked when it reached 10mph or so - but (and this is important) so that it did not unlock when, having stopped, I pull the key from the ignition.

As things stand at the moment, the Mk3 will either automatically lock, and then unlock everything when I take the key from the ignition: or not automatically lock, and not unlock when I pull the key. Has anyone managed to get

this altered by getting the comfort unit (or whathaveyou) adjusted electronically?

And a similar point with respect to the closing of windows when locking using the key-fob remote. The old car used to close windows and sunroof when I locked the car - i.e. one quick press and they all closed. The new one requires me to stand by the car keeping my finger on the button until they all close. This seems rather a backward step - so i wonder again whether anyone has managed to get one-press window/sunroof closing on locking enabled?

I'd be very pleased to hear of any relevant experiences!

Thanks

My Octavia has the Electric Sunroof and I like the theatre of waiting and watching the sunroof do it's little performance whilst out of the car! As Metallica once sang "SAD BUT TRUE".:mmm:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

My Octavia has the Electric Sunroof and I like the theatre of waiting and watching the sunroof do it's little performance whilst out of the car! As Metallica once sang "SAD BUT TRUE".:mmm:

I quite enjoy that too, if I've got time - but think how much more fun it would be if you didn't have to keep your finger on the fob-button until it was finished!

4 minutes ago, Sangrail said:

I quite enjoy that too, if I've got time - but think how much more fun it would be if you didn't have to keep your finger on the fob-button until it was finished!

It's the nearest we will ever get to owning a Skoda Convertible, as even the Golf variant was killed off to let Audi have all drop top sales within the group (TT, R8 and A3 to name but 3 choices).B)

i also love the fact the windows close when you hold the lock button on the fob....i personally dont mind, as it only takes seconds and i get a buzz out of it (plus my windows are only ever open a few inch at the most)most) much love

the first point should be settable in the ICE menus wikthout resorting to VCDS trickery, I believe.

And the non-auto close is to stop stuff being trapped in the windows as they're closing.

- Bret

On 27/07/2018 at 21:11, Sangrail said:

Desperately trying to think of a reason where I'd stop the car, remove the keys from the ignition but want the doors to remain locked. Not only that, the reason is important.

Put me out of my misery...  why do you want the doors to remain locked? :wondering:

PS - brettikvi  - If a closing window meets any resistance it will stop then retract a little. (or in the case of my Skoda, retract a good 100mm).  Not sure if it was in the USA or over here in Europe but there was a case many years ago where a child was strangled when they popped their head out of the window and hit the window switch. The death led to most manufacturers redesigning electric windows so they stop when meeting resistance. I thought all new cars (certainly since the start of the millenium) had this feature?  If I remember right, first car I owned having this feature was a Vauxhall Calibra, and I bought that in 1991.

Edited by Guest

The selection for automatic locking on the 'car set-up' thing unfortunately also makes all the locks fly open when you take the ignition key out.

Why do I not want this to happen? Well, I suppose for the same reason I don't want all the lock to open when I press 'open' on the fob as I approach the car to get in: because I want to limit access to the vehicle by unauthorised and probably malevolent person/s unknown.

When I go to get in the car and press 'open' on the fob, I want the driver's door unlocked so that I can get in secure in the knowlege than no-one else can run up and hop in another door, or pinch anyhting from the boot - and this is what it does.

When I park, I like to get ready to leave by taking the keys from the ignition, and then I like to unlock and open the driver's door only by pulling the inside handle once I've had a look around, I don't at that point want the the boot and the other doors accessible by anyone else. This, unfortunatley, the 'automatic locking' option prevents.

This might smack of persecutory delusions - but there are bad folk about, and I live and work among such folk (amongst others, I hasten to add - the good with the bad).

Edited by Sangrail
  • Like 1

Thought it was going to be a more obscure reason than that.  Haven't you read the owners manual?  page 63 covers all your needs.

Persecutory delusions?  Absolutely.  If I was one of those people where you live and wanted to steal something from your car I'd just wait until you were outside, whack you over the head with a brick and help myself to your keys, wallet and phone. If I was having a bad day I might use a knife or a gun rather than a brick.

The car would be the least of my worries !

Your comment about global closing...   takes 3 seconds for my windows to close so time not an issue for me.  But again if I were living in your side on town, I doubt my bullet proof windows would ever be open in the first place. :giggle:

Edited by Guest

Can't help with the Paranoia but if you live in Jamaica you could move to a gated community and if you live in Moss Side join a gang and carry a knife (for personal protection of course). Hope this advice helps calm your slightly frayed nerves!:sweat:

As I said - it sounds as though I might have persecutory delusions (not paranoia, please note) - but in fact it is simply good common sense to be aware of what's going on around where you've parked and not to unlock doors and boot unnecessarily.

Scot5 - The owner's manual simply tells me that I can't make the car do what I want: hence this thread :)

You can easily set the drivers door to unlock only. Read the manual, think its selected by pressing a dashboard button to get to various options. 

As for those other scenarios, must be frightening for you.

Just remembered an article I saw some years ago. Found it on Youtube...

South African Anti car hijack

I especially like the last scene. There's a tad of Hollywood poetic licence about that criminal. :movie:

As if that's how it works - it's much quicker easier hijacking her before she gets in to the car.

1 hour ago, Sangrail said:

As I said - it sounds as though I might have persecutory delusions (not paranoia, please note) - but in fact it is simply good common sense to be aware of what's going on around where you've parked and not to unlock doors and boot unnecessarily.

Scot5 - The owner's manual simply tells me that I can't make the car do what I want: hence this thread :)

When you approach the car you can set it to only unlock the drivers door. And you can set the door to open when you pull the door handle rather than when you take keys out of ignition. What else do you want?  Even with the doors locked, nothings going to stop someone putting a brick thru your window. You might deter a brainless child but there's nothing you can do to prevent a determined person who's spent a life in crime - it's just a fact of life. Of course best solution of all is simply not frequent those areas.

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

You can easily set the drivers door to unlock only. Read the manual, think its selected by pressing a dashboard button to get to various options. 

As for those other scenarios, must be frightening for you.

I I've already stated in post 8 paragraph 3, when I unlock from the outside with the fob only the driver's door unlocks. That bit is just fine.

It's the automatic unlock when I pull the ignition keys out that needs to go.

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

When you approach the car you can set it to only unlock the drivers door.  And you can set the door to open when you pull the door handle rather than when you take keys out of ignition. What else do you want?  Even with the doors locked, nothings going to stop someone putting a brick thru your window. You might deter a brainless child but there's nothing you can do to prevent a determined person who's spent a life in crime - it's just a fact of life. Of course best solution of all is simply not frequent those areas.

Yup -  as I put in post 8 para three I've got the first sentence covered when approaching the car: one press of the fob unlocks the driver's door only.

Sentence two - yes, I can do that also, but not apparently in conjunction with the auto-lock feature which, you'll not be surprised to learn, I rather like. Currently, if I have auto-lock on, then auto-unlock of everything on removing the keys from the door also seems to be on.

Are you aware of a way of setting auto-lock without the auto-unlock? That is really what I'm after, rather than your insights onto my personal security - though your concern is most touching!:)

My personal experience and opinion is that my passengers would not like being locked in the car after I removed the keys. It is difficult enough to drop someone off with the engine running. I think on balance , occupants are much more likely to need to exit in a genuine hurry than having unwanted intruders.

No idea about setting up your requirements.:wondering: Sorry.

I I've already stated in post 8 paragraph 3, when I unlock from the outside with the fob only the driver's door unlocks. That bit is just fine.

It's the automatic unlock when I pull the ignition keys out that needs to go.

Yup -  as I put in post 8 para three I've got the first sentence covered when approaching the car: one press of the fob unlocks the driver's door only.

Sentence two - yes, I can do that also, but not apparently in conjunction with the auto-lock feature which, you'll not be surprised to learn, I rather like. Currently, if I have auto-lock on, then auto-unlock of everything on removing the keys from the door also seems to be on.

Are you aware of a way of setting auto-lock without the auto-unlock? That is really what I'm after, rather than your insights onto my personal security - though your concern is most touching!:)

You're lucky you don't drive an Audi RS7. Knew someone who drove one as a company car and came out of a hotel in London to find 3 hooded guys with baseball bats surrounding him as he unlocked the car! Did the sensible thing and handed over the keys to the £90,000 motor. Conclusion if you want to attract scum drive a desirable motor.:o

Are you aware of a way of setting auto-lock without the auto-unlock?

As I've said above, I expect this to be possible using VCDS. It's certainly possible to have auto-unlock set without autolock being set, I know because I didn't follow the instructions fully when trying to disable autolock (and unlock) on my Polo. Whenever I stopped, the car (audibly) tried to unlock the doors which were already unlocked.

See here for an example of how it's done (albeit on a older platform) https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/disabling-auto-locks-selective-unlocking.161535/

54 minutes ago, gregoir said:

No idea about setting up your requirements.:wondering: Sorry.

No worries!

I look forward to hearing further from you should I accidentally start a thread inviting debate about how well the functionality of my own vehicle meets my specific requirements with respect to security etc.

:)

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Wino said:

As I've said above, I expect this to be possible using VCDS. It's certainly possible to have auto-unlock set without autolock being set, I know because I didn't follow the instructions fully when trying to disable autolock (and unlock) on my Polo. Whenever I stopped, the car (audibly) tried to unlock the doors which were already unlocked.

See here for an example of how it's done (albeit on a older platform) https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/disabling-auto-locks-selective-unlocking.161535/

Thanks, Wino - I've located a local VCDS person, and I'll see what he's able to come up with.

Jesus people..... can you all just either:
A: Answer his original question, with FACT
or
B: Not comment at all, if you can't perform A: above.

All these comments regarding why he wants what he wants, or suggesting he's paranoid, is irrelevant and not productive.

I fully understand his reasons for asking the question, however I cannot answer it for him.

So please - keep it simple.... these forums are great for learning things about our cars, etc.... but I don't want to have to wade through countless pages of useless dribble, STILL without learning the answer to the original question.

Edited by spinifex
  • Like 1