Emissions fix without permission

Booked my car in for cambelt/water pump replacement at local Skoda dealership (months ago) just read the paperwork and saw that they had completed the 'fix' (without my permission) however I have to be honest and say I've not noticed and discernible difference in performance etc...

This is just an observation by me, I'd be interested in what others have to say.

If you haven't noticed anything up to now I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it in mond if your EGR valve fails as it will be covered under the trust building measure for 2 years from when the update was applied.

• Like 1

Do you have your paperwork for your 24 Months of the VW Group Trust Building Measure Guarantee?

So the Dealership gets paid,

you join the lottery of will it cause issues in the 24 months or after, maybe reduce the number interested in your car if you are to sell it

and the VW Group tick off another happy customer so they can tell the UK Government how many there are. 

• Like 4

"Do you have your paperwork for your 24 Months of the VW Group Trust Building Measure Guarantee?" Not sure Offski, will check and get back to you, thanks for the information.

No paperwork issued, it's all electronic now.

Skoda UK and the dealers will have access to the date the car had the fix applied should you need to claim.

• Like 1

You ask for the paperwork.   It could have been printed at the Dealership, along with the form to say, I do not accept you doing the new engine management install on my vehicle.

They can print off the copy of the letters you received or never received asking you to agree to having them 'Tamper with your car',  or just the usual 'Permission at servicing to do software updates that you signed when handing over the car.

That is not Permission to do The Fix, unless it was and you never read it.

• Like 2

Having problems with my EGR valve now, fault code P040300.

Fix was done Sept 2016 before I purchased the car. Contacted local skoda dealer, want car in 20th August to assess it, they asked that I bring all invoices for work done on the car as no records exist since 2016. These invoices are done by independent dealers and garages

Can skoda say that they wont sort EGR as not serviced by skoda??

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dudec said:

Can skoda say that they wont sort EGR as not serviced by skoda??

No. The car does not have to have been serviced by them, but it must have been serviced according to the recommended schedules etc.  If you were looking for "goodwill" outside of the 2 years it would be different.

"To be eligible, customers must present proof that all manufacturer-recommended service and maintenance work has been completed (i.e. this applies to vehicles with a full service history)."

See the Trust Building Measure text here:

Skoda Trust Building Measure from UK Site

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update, Skoda replaced the EGR couple of weeks ago, took them 4 days as 4x4 was a lot more work, no courtesy car provided :devil:

Car seems to be running better than before, DPF light did come on Saturday, but a 10min drive solved that

• Confused 1

I'd keep a close eye on the DPF light -  just because they replaced the EGR does not mean that the DPF is not going to go down with clogging.

I see the fix was done in Sept 2016 - that means you are about to exit the 2 year trust building measure "warranty". You might want to get that DPF checked ASAP - you don't want to cover a DPF replacement yourself it you can avoid it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in Ireland so definitely wait for some UK members advice...in case the advice/experience is different....

... but I would be going to the local dealer and reporting the DPF light coming on and asking them to investigate/check it out - especially in the light of the TBM already being actioned for the EGR.  You have already has problems and your trust needs building.  If they just offer counselling,  a hug and some chocolates - that's when I'd contact Skoda UK.

Make sure you have the visit and the reason for you bringing the car in documented. Murphys Law says that if you don't then there will be no record of the issue being reported and the DPF will be toasted the day after the TBM cover expires.

• Like 2

Local dealer couldn't fit me in before warranty was up, contacted Skoda and received a reference number which will cover me until the car is checked. Dealer does not sound too fussed on doing the work

Apologies for hijacking this thread!!