700 + mile tank range citigo ?

777boeingman

Having enjoyed reading and participating in the 500+ and 600+ threads, I posed the question over a year ago. Is 700+ miles possible in a citigo using the full 38 litre capacity full to empty.

I felt after my 660 mile attempt in June 2017, that all we had to do was find another 40 miles! 

Dividing the required miles (700) by 38 litres full capacity (8.36 Uk gallons) meant needing to achieve 83.7 miles per gallon.

Several  attempts in the last year have seen a theoretical tank range of 650 to 700 miles, so with 50 miles more available in reserve I felt 700 was possible. These attempts unfortunately were thrown away due to traffic and requirements to use the car in the city.

However, here are the results of my last attempt. Initial trip saw 497 miles driven, 140 miles available (combined =637) plus an estimated 60 miles reserve could mean 697 + ?

image.png

• Like 3

Incredible!!!!!!

Just three miles short, I bet you can think of a few situations on that tank that cost you that shortfall.

That is a pretty impressive average speed (as in a high speed) for that distance as well.

When Peugeot set their 'world record' distance/mileage for a petrol production vehicle in their 308 3 cylinder 1.2tsi they had a team of experts using a dedicated track and averaged about 57kph  for 1810 km for 2.9L/100 or 99 mpg.

• Like 1

Yes, some slow moving M25 traffic, two A1M night time diversions, road work lights and a touch of town driving! If you could find somewhere in the UK that was all motorway and no traffic...... It would be a breeze!

• Like 1

Your profile says you're based in Edinburgh, so just go on holiday to Land's End, and drive around the M25 the long way! Meaning, go around the M25, going across Dartford bridge, rather than the more sensible idea of driving around the short way and going past the M4. Google Maps reckons that journey is mostly motorway or dual carriageway A roads, and it is a total journey of 726 miles! Probably ideal for maximising the economy if you stick to 60-65 all the way!

I certainly couldn't hope to achieve anywhere near that average figure, my usual best is about 45 mpg on motorway journeys, but then I have a very heavy right foot... :notme:

• 2 months later...

Marginal gains and the final attempt.

Having achieved 697 miles on a tank, and with limited time remaining before the citigo is returned, I had to give the "700" barrier one more attempt.

The tires were inflated by an extra few psi, the route chosen to include maximum motorway driving, the tank filled with a few extra "clicks", maximum use of "pulse and glide" and lifting off the accelerator where possible and choosing a six day period with light or no fuel sapping headwinds!

The results, fuel light on at 648 miles, 0 miles range indicated at 690, engine stopped at 747 miles!

PID calculated 84.5 mpg, and the car was refuelled with 38.8 litres giving a calculated full-full figure of 87.6 mpg.

one particular journey over the six days displayed 92.9 mpg over a distance of 172 miles!

At the start of these challenges I really thought 600 miles was a push, and 700 near impossible !

To achieve 747 miles and 87.6 mpg from 38.8 litres shows this is an amazing car.

Returning to the dealer in November with 16,000 miles, sad to see it go!

IMG_1096.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/10/2018 at 17:45, 777boeingman said:

You have achieved exceptional figures with this vehicle.

What will replace it?

I would have done almost anything to keep it, what a great alround  "city" car. However, I already have 3 other cars! The Citigo was shared with my son to help out with his pcp payments.

I would highly recommend the Citigo/Up/Mii to anyone needing a small economical car. 66mpg was my final average over the last 14,000 miles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2018 at 16:20, xman said:

Can I just comment that filling beyond the normal click off point can damage the fuel evap system by filling the activated carbon canister with neat fuel.

Yup - fell foul of this just after I bought my Superb. My inner Yorkshire came to the surface when I filled up to the brim in Luxembourg and was greeted with and Engine Management Light sometime later. After making a phone call I decided to drop into a German Skoda dealer who thoroughly checked the car out – didn’t get charged  ( not bad considering that had removed the full car length under tray etc...) but I left with a warning -  Von Klick Halte!!!!!

Edited by bigjohn

I have only owned a mk2 and mk3 Octavia and driven limited other VW cars, but none had this optional venting facility.

It is only from Briskoda that I was even aware that it was available on a limited number of vehicles. Earlier Fabia are usually mentioned?

777boeingman's distance claims obviously do not involve excess filling (venting), which is just one of the factors that impresses about his 700+ miles on a tank posts.

I'm know that 'pulse and glide' techniques with ICE engines can result in remarkable good returns but it is not something I am keen on using in normal/heavy traffic or for long distances or even with a passenger.  I was able to use it in traffic jam conditions on the M25 with a rental Kia diesel and was still getting returns in the 50's (at about 10mph average speed). Of course it did mean that BMW's in adjacent lanes could not resist diving into the gaps I occasionally left even though there was no real difference in lane speed.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

There are 2 different capacities of Up!MiiCitigo fuel tanks.

Then 'up the pipe' Brimmed or vented.

& there are South American built and European built Citigo.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/364603-500mile-tank-range-possible-in-citigo

The difference of running to near empty and getting in 35 litres or 42 litres comes up in some posts and has over the years.

Some Skoda models like a Mk2 Fabia petrol could be vented in error easily or if the person filling the tank wanted to vent it.

45 litre capacity tanks run to the car showing 50 mile range could still be filled with 53-55 litres of petrol.

post-86161-0-84456100-1452296762.jpg.0d1c1941d84dd7892b60d4d73fd85ff6.jpg

Edited by Offski

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/10/2018 at 08:15, 777boeingman said:

Marginal gains and the final attempt.

Having achieved 697 miles on a tank, and with limited time remaining before the citigo is returned, I had to give the "700" barrier one more attempt.

The tires were inflated by an extra few psi, the route chosen to include maximum motorway driving, the tank filled with a few extra "clicks", maximum use of "pulse and glide" and lifting off the accelerator where possible and choosing a six day period with light or no fuel sapping headwinds!

The results, fuel light on at 648 miles, 0 miles range indicated at 690, engine stopped at 747 miles!

PID calculated 84.5 mpg, and the car was refuelled with 38.8 litres giving a calculated full-full figure of 87.6 mpg.

one particular journey over the six days displayed 92.9 mpg over a distance of 172 miles!

At the start of these challenges I really thought 600 miles was a push, and 700 near impossible !

To achieve 747 miles and 87.6 mpg from 38.8 litres shows this is an amazing car.

IMG_1096.JPG

Remarkable results that u got in yr Citigo while u had it. Do u remember wether or not u had eco tyres that reduced rolling resistance or anything to aid u in these attempts? Also did u draft a lorry? Just asking as I want to crack 900 miles in my 1.2 110 TSI MK3 Fabia and have a set of sporty tyres on.

I’ve managed 839.5 up to John O Groats with luggage and averaged 71.2 mpg but I definitely could have done better as traffic wasn’t on my side on the A9. My trip computer only ever said 66.5 mpg when my car ran out.

I know I can definitely crack it if I don’t go up as high in the country.

• Like 1

Amazing mpg, well done.  Just a few days after I got my 2015 CitiGo wife and I did a 160 mile return journey to Anglesey to pick up her 63 plate CitiGo and the PID showed 69.x mpg which I was very pleased with. I thought I may be able to get over 70mpg in better conditions, but now I have bigger aims. 
I hyper miled my gen4 Prius hybrid and got 92.6 on a 100 mile journey, and 96.x on a 50 mile journey, many times in 80+ mpg, pleased with them figures.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2022 at 20:36, CY67 said:

Remarkable results that u got in yr Citigo while u had it. Do u remember wether or not u had eco tyres that reduced rolling resistance or anything to aid u in these attempts? Also did u draft a lorry? Just asking as I want to crack 900 miles in my 1.2 110 TSI MK3 Fabia and have a set of sporty tyres on.

I’ve managed 839.5 up to John O Groats with luggage and averaged 71.2 mpg but I definitely could have done better as traffic wasn’t on my side on the A9. My trip computer only ever said 66.5 mpg when my car ran out.

Not sure if you'll get a response from 777boeingman as they've not been on the site for over 2 years

• Like 1

On 06/06/2022 at 05:06, CY67 said:

If you read the thread there are some answers to your questions.

It was a Monte Carlo and only 16k when handed back so probably had original relatively sporty tyres for the type. He did add a few psi to the final and best attempt.

He used all the hyper mile tricks including pulse and glide, and drafting where possible and safe.

I suspect that he was doing (successive?)  fairly long journeys out of rush hour periods to achieve his results because his average speed is pretty good.

Pulse and glide techniques are not really possible on busy roads without inciting a potential road rage incident. 

• Like 1