Great review,did much the same route some 20yrs ago in a Honda Civic  VTI ,but the last stretch home was from fort William to Bristol nearly 500 Miles but it was worth it to drive in such fantastic countryside.............after seeing those pics it may be right to do it again,thanks.

3 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Great review,did much the same route some 20yrs ago in a Honda Civic  VTI ,but the last stretch home was from fort William to Bristol nearly 500 Miles but it was worth it to drive in such fantastic countryside.............after seeing those pics it may be right to do it again,thanks.

Definitely mate!  A lot has changed since then and they've improved the roads to deal with all the new found traffic.

Briskoda road trip?

• Like 1

I can still remember the complete lack of traffic,and driving for hours without the need of braking,the pleasures of driving that once were.i can also remember a couple of years prior to that ,flying up to Edinburgh and hiring a fiat uno and ONE  DAY driving up to Inverness THRO the Cairngorms and down Loch Ness,thro the trossachs back to Edinburgh ,bit of a trek ,a long day but well worth it.

Edited by Sad555

Well, there have been some upgrades on the Thurso - Durness - Ullapool section since I was last that way.

Oh and I've never seen a boat in Smoo Cave before! Divers yes, but not a boat. In which general context, were there any fulmars nesting on the cliffs there? (like gulls, but much stiffer wings in flight, nostrils extend along beaks.)

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Well, there have been some upgrades on the Thurso - Durness - Ullapool section since I was last that way.

Oh and I've never seen a boat in Smoo Cave before! Divers yes, but not a boat. In which general context, were there any fulmars nesting on the cliffs there? (like gulls, but much stiffer wings in flight, nostrils extend along beaks.)

I seen puffins, razorbills, guillemots, fulmars and kittihawks that day, I lady I spoke to also said there were nesting skwers too.

The boat in smoo cave is now free and just outside they’ve built a new zip slide called “the golden eagle zipslide”

15 hours ago, Sad555 said:

I can still remember the complete lack of traffic,and driving for hours without the need of braking,the pleasures of driving that once were.i can also remember a couple of years prior to that ,flying up to Edinburgh and hiring a fiat uno and ONE  DAY driving up to Inverness THRO the Cairngorms and down Loch Ness,thro the trossachs back to Edinburgh ,bit of a trek ,a long day but well worth it.

There was very little traffic when I done it even though I was warned that "its so busy now" and "there's motorhomes everywhere", I drove 200 miles of single track roads and only had to reverse once as there's parking spaces everywhere.

If you can get the weather there's not many places in the world tat can rival it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Yup..not bad up here where I live!!…..haha....

Mind you.....you are better off at Perth turning towards the A93, & go over to Braemar & then you can do the whole of the A939..which takes you to Nairn....best road out...2hrs of solid driving...…& several steep descents/ascents...

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/09/2018 at 21:18, fabdavrav said:

Yup..not bad up here where I live!!…..haha....

Mind you.....you are better off at Perth turning towards the A93, & go over to Braemar & then you can do the whole of the A939..which takes you to Nairn....best road out...2hrs of solid driving...…& several steep descents/ascents...

I’m sure I’ve driven a part of that road bud, love the road up by Glenshee, even better in the winter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My preference to doing the complete NC500 is to just do the portion on the West coast as the scenery is so much better there.

Follow whichever road takes you entirely on the coast even if the journey ends up taking longer.

Here's some additional photos that @Mickmartin should recognise and maybe some places he didn't manage to get to.

Another view of Balnakeil Beach.

Beach1.thumb.jpg.f445c227018f14e245d9aabaccca3b20.jpg

The Kylesku Bridge and Hotel from different angles.

1236564713_KyleskuBridge.thumb.jpg.14d7843214f8f26371fe89462ad0e067.jpg

1509167927_KyleskuHotel.thumb.jpg.98e1213383a4b654fda7aad1d33bf3f7.jpg

Cape Wrath.

1716895541_CapeWrath.thumb.jpg.ff5970c53d88292414793deadfac1036.jpg

Inquisitive sheep..

Local.thumb.jpg.c428944dbf559a89645ce3601ee8df23.jpg

A Puffin on Handa Island.

1225060214_Puffin3.thumb.jpg.6db189b5916c63e66cb7c85cc053fa6c.jpg

Landing craft used at the Duke of Westminster's estate.

906836451_LandingCraft.thumb.jpg.3e20d9cc5319e99ce0441124c70afbac.jpg

Where we stayed and the view.

House1.thumb.jpg.9fea0b1b14b2f430a52c69c617eab733.jpg

Ullapool.

1629222478_Ullapool1.thumb.jpg.4c079c072e42a5be6048b74d43bcf145.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, john999boy said:

My preference to doing the complete NC500 is to just do the portion on the West coast as the scenery is so much better there.

Follow whichever road takes you entirely on the coast even if the journey ends up taking longer.

Here's some additional photos that @Mickmartin should recognise and maybe some places he didn't manage to get to.

Another view of Balnakeil Beach.

Beach1.thumb.jpg.f445c227018f14e245d9aabaccca3b20.jpg

The Kylesku Bridge and Hotel from different angles.

1236564713_KyleskuBridge.thumb.jpg.14d7843214f8f26371fe89462ad0e067.jpg

1509167927_KyleskuHotel.thumb.jpg.98e1213383a4b654fda7aad1d33bf3f7.jpg

Cape Wrath.

1716895541_CapeWrath.thumb.jpg.ff5970c53d88292414793deadfac1036.jpg

Inquisitive sheep..

Local.thumb.jpg.c428944dbf559a89645ce3601ee8df23.jpg

A Puffin on Handa Island.

1225060214_Puffin3.thumb.jpg.6db189b5916c63e66cb7c85cc053fa6c.jpg

Landing craft used at the Duke of Westminster's estate.

906836451_LandingCraft.thumb.jpg.3e20d9cc5319e99ce0441124c70afbac.jpg

Where we stayed and the view.

House1.thumb.jpg.9fea0b1b14b2f430a52c69c617eab733.jpg

Ullapool.

1629222478_Ullapool1.thumb.jpg.4c079c072e42a5be6048b74d43bcf145.jpg

Amazing pics mate, Cant wait to go back next year. I agree the North and West coast's are the most spectacular however on the east I visited Fort George, Chanonry Point, Dunrobin castle, etc. Theres some great history to be had on the east coast and some cracking lighthouses along the cliffs.

I planned to camp on cape wrath on my 2nd night but the ferry car park was full and I ended up camping at Balnakiel. I'd done a fair chunk of the coast before but never the coast road into Applecross(not the bealach na ba, the only way in lol) and that blew me away with the views over to skye.

I'm already planning my 2019 trip!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickmartin said:

I agree the North and West coast's are the most spectacular however on the east I visited Fort George, Chanonry Point, Dunrobin castle, etc. Theres some great history to be had on the east coast and some cracking lighthouses along the cliffs.

I'd forgotten that Fort George etc was on the route as that's worth seeing as well as Chanonry Point with the virtually guaranteed dolphins.

Fort George & some oil rigs.

1321121783_FortGeorge093.thumb.JPG.38f5127bebd3fa285dd22dd4be10763b.JPG

3 hours ago, Offski said:

Shieldaig.   

There is someplace to camp with a water tap.  & a Pub / meals. (not cheap.) http://shieldaigbarcoastalkitchen.co.uk

2007-09-27 001 033.JPG

The place on the right is where I've previously stayed George but I think it was called the Tigh an Eilean Hotel then?

16 minutes ago, john999boy said:

I'd forgotten that Fort George etc was on the route as that's worth seeing as well as Chanonry Point with the virtually guaranteed dolphins.

I know that part of the world quite well for some strange reason...

& Clava Cairns & the Culloden Viaduct are also just down the road....nice for pictures....& then you have the big sandy beaches of Nairn, & Roseisle.. Rogie falls, Foyers falls, Glen Affric, Lochindorb (ruined castle of the The Wolf of Badenoch)….

Then the stuff east of Forres...masses

Basically its all scenery up here...if you need a local guide....

Edited by fabdavrav

13 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

I know that part of the world quite well for some strange reason...

& Clava Cairns & the Culloden Viaduct are also just down the road....nice for pictures....& then you have the big sandy beaches of Nairn, & Roseisle.. Rogie falls, Foyers falls, Glen Affric, Lochindorb (ruined castle of the The Wolf of Badenoch)….

Then the stuff east of Forres...masses

Basically its all scenery up here...if you need a local guide....

I mentioned it before on another post, Would be awesome to some kind of club meet and do a few of these routes. When doing the NC500 I randomly joined with a convoy of an impreza,2 fiesta St's, A Duke Nismo RS and an s3, We absolutely hammered a few of the roads near torridon and lets say I never got much sight seeing done for a few miles.

Edited by Mickmartin

Clamp downs coming on speed and some anti-social driving behaviours.

People are being asked not to be in convoys.   Also to be aware of Speed Limits which are maximums not a target.

Someone has scattered tacks on the road recently.  (As has happened in Perthshire when a cycle race was causing roads to be closed and locals to get annoyed.)

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-45238735

Lots of Cyclists now being drawn to the NC500 and other just wanting the views, stops and to travel the route safely.

As it is now the growing popularity is becoming the issue.  

Saying that, today would be a great day to head up there.  Wednesday's being a pretty good day..........

Edited by Offski

5 hours ago, Offski said:

Clamp downs coming on speed and some anti-social driving behaviours.

People are being asked not to be in convoys.   Also to be aware of Speed Limits which are maximums not a target.

Someone has scattered tacks on the road recently.  (As has happened in Perthshire when a cycle race was causing roads to be closed and locals to get annoyed.)

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-45238735

Lots of Cyclists now being drawn to the NC500 and other just wanting the views, stops and to travel the route safely.

As it is now the growing popularity is becoming the issue.  

Saying that, today would be a great day to head up there.  Wednesday's being a pretty good day..........

I went in the height of the summer and I kid you not when I type this, I had to reverse once in 200 mile's of back roads due to the lack of traffic as the roads were dead.I can understand the local frustration in places but the flip side is the local economy is getting boosted from the tourism, I would hate for them to change the route in anyway as its perfect the way it is now.