Value of a Rapid

On "thinking" of trading to Karoq found my "nearly" 2 yr old Black,1.2[110] tsi SEL with "desirable" factory fitted options was valued at OVER 55% of the list price = some £9000 lost, thankfully I didn't pay list price ,but its still a massive hit when the car your thinking of buying is £26500 ish? I have visited 3 separate dealers & there was a variation of just £250 ! Seriously thinking IF? I do change it will be with another manufacturer & Skoda & "value for money" slogan must only apply to when you buy new? I  suppose other models/variations will not depreciate in value like a RAPID any comments ?

• Like 1

Not paying List Price is part of why Skoda & SEAT depreciation looks as it does, maybe is as it is.

Other car Main Dealerships do not really want a Skoda or SEAT in as a trade in but will take them if they need to shift a new or used car of the brand they have.

VW Group manipulate the 'Value' and used values because it is about leasing, fleet etc, and finance and pyramid banking.

Dealer Contribution, Manufacturers Contribution, incentives to finance and hand cars back and cost to change.

Where the value to those buying is when they buy a Keeper, get discounts to buy, run it for however many years costing them a few grand a year 

and years later they still have a usable or car or one they can sell.

Some buy a £13,000 car and 7 or 8 - 10 years later it is worth a few thousand quid.

Seems better than losing £9,000 in 2 years.

Up to people what they need or want though.

My first one (Toledo) dropped 7.7k in 3 1/2 years from new purchase to trade-in so the retained value was 40% (of what I'd paid new,not the mad RRP) - not bad I thought. But 55% retention of RRP sounds great to me.

Edited by camelspyyder

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

My first one (Toledo) dropped 7.7k in 3 1/2 years from new purchase to trade-in so the retained value was 40% (of what I'd paid new,not the mad RRP) - not bad I thought. But 55% retention of RRP sounds great to me.

I think the OP means the Rapid was valued at 55% off list price. ie: it lost 55% from list price value in just less than 2years.

Perhaps the OP may clarify.

Now this WILL be interesting...yesterday[sat] on approaching a roundabout a car detached itself from its car and was heading for a head on collision  on me swerving my drivers door took all the impact ! Thankfully NO serious injuries ! On retrival at a garage was told if the "shutpillar" is damaged probably will be a right off [subject to full inspection Monday]  On being offered £ [last week]7500-£7750 as p/x ...its NOT looking good for a settlement payment with NO consideration for any "factory fitted" options taken into account, NEVER had a motor accident in 47years so this insurance mallarky WILL be an experience if nothing else & its going to cost us no doubt ?

Sorry to hear about your accident.

You are in the fortunate position with the Insurance Broker & Underwriter that you have recently been told by Dealers what your car is worth to them.

You know what it will cost you to replace the car you have with a like for like, so no need to accept ridiculous offers from the Underwriters if your car is a write off.

Get your information together, question their loss adjusters valuation and the insurance offer as they are not your friends, they are there to pay out as little as they can for their owners and shareholders.

You can always employ your own 'Loss Adjuster' to challenge their 'Loss Adjuster'.    Your car has a value greater than their first or even second offer.

Sorry to hear about the accident, good to hear the car gave the necessary protection to prevent injuries.

As for insurance, how old is your car, did you purchase GAP cover as this is supposed to cover the shortfall insurance payout as they only pay market prices. Also suggest you research the cost of purchasing a new to you car for similar age/mileage as the one damaged, This is what the insurance company needs to know (not the trade P/Ex value) as that is what the retail market price is.  

Accident damage now been "approved" &  " some part " on back order & due....when it arrives !!! from Skoda factory....seriously thinking about the latest deals on a "new Octavia 1.5 tsi SEL " WITH some factory extras " earliest build date week 48 !

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:58, Smileyman said:

Sorry to hear about the accident, good to hear the car gave the necessary protection to prevent injuries.

As for insurance, how old is your car, did you purchase GAP cover as this is supposed to cover the shortfall insurance payout as they only pay market prices. Also suggest you research the cost of purchasing a new to you car for similar age/mileage as the one damaged, This is what the insurance company needs to know (not the trade P/Ex value) as that is what the retail market price is.  

I think GAP insurance is for when the accident is your fault

If you are an innocent third party, their insurance should put you in a position equal to before the accident, either fully repaired, or a similar car (age, condition, spec, mileage), regardless of value

It is worth requesting indemnity from other party's insurer, so if a P/X offer is reduced by the having accident repair, the reduction in value is also paid to you when you come to trade it.

Having NEVER had any motoring accident in nearly 40 years... all this is new to me & I REALLY DO  appreciate all the information/comments/suggestions to all concerned ! Thank You...of interest an Octavia with factory options 1.5 tsi SEL week 47[minimum] build week.

Still no date for the "part" from Skoda...in the mean time I have ordered a Octavia 1.5 tsi SEL [with options] wk build 48 . E.T.A. Jan 19, so while the repair is in hand? Iam running around in a [paid for] hire car a Renault Captur & NO I wouldn't  recommend one !!!  

13 hours ago, BACUPIAN said:

Still no date for the "part" from Skoda...in the mean time I have ordered a Octavia 1.5 tsi SEL [with options] wk build 48 . E.T.A. Jan 19, so while the repair is in hand? Iam running around in a [paid for] hire car a Renault Captur & NO I wouldn't  recommend one !!!  

Dont get me started. They gave me a Vauxhall Mokka. It was dreadful. Glad to have my Rapid back.

A bit misleading, depreciation off list isn't really relevant.

Depreciation off the price you paid would be far more representative.

People often get upset at how much cars depreciate in their early years, unfortunately this is the price you have to pay if you want to enjoy the luxury of changing your car regularly.

Discounts are generous on the Rapid and Toledo, so assuming you paid significantly less than list and that the 55% reduction you've calculated is in fact quite a bit higher then I'd say the part exchange offers you've received sound quite generous.

The average annual depreciation on a new car is between 15-25%, the Rapid, alongside other Skoda models, is likely to be towards the top end of those parameters. The average total depreciation after 5 years is 60%.

Deal done for an Octavia.. the £2500 Skoda contribution & 2 yrs servicing £279  , "reasonable" p/x & loyalty bonus discount, ALL added up to an "acceptable" deal....factory options added , just need to get rid of the Captur & ride around in the Rapid, until E.T.A of Octavia in January !!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

REALLY glad to be rid of the Renault Captur & back into the Rapid after some 7wks in a main [Skoda] dealer body-shop for accident repairs..in the meantime the Skoda dealer supplying the Octavia as phoned to say delivery could now be as early as late November....if so is it really worth the wait until March for a "19" plate ?

Edited by BACUPIAN
8 wks not 7 wks !

On reading through my "opening message" it should have been that a CARAVAN detached itself from its [towing] car & it was the caravan that embedded itself into the drivers door !! Although ordered a new Octavia with factory extras ...now having reading comments on this forum & elsewhere there are "issues" with the 1.5 TSI engines & could i be making a "mistake" getting one !...after all the present 1.2 tsi in the Rapid as been [in my opinion] been absolutely FAULTLESS !....& even at this stage I am having second thoughts about the Octavia not being what I expect it to be ?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for ALL past replies in the "RAPID" forum section & now own Octavia 1.5 tsi SEL. Still think the 1.2 tsi engine is well suited for the RAPID range .

• 2 months later...

After 3mths & 3.000 miles of ownership have had NO issues at all...engine or gearbox & long term m,p,g average of 51.1 skoda maxi dot or my actual calculation 49.5 mpg , so a little down on the 1.2 rapid , but for me it is a more refined driving experience !

• Like 1

@abaxas

If over 20% buy 'new cars' in the UK that is still a good few 'Almost no-one's',

Then of the over 70% bought by Fleet / Lease / Companies etc a high number are bought and owned by Manufacturers / Dealers and are Demonstrators and bough as 'Nearly New' in the 3-6 months after First Registration.

The SMMT are very good at the manipulation of figures to suit 'Car Manufacturers',

and also Dealers / Manufacturers / Finance Houses (Manufacturers are Money Lenders...) at taking advantage HMRC / Tax Payers.