Citigo Electric

Ronn

My own experiences with a Nissan Leaf (albeit a 24KwH version) have put me off electric cars for a long time.  Nissan suggested this car could do up to 100 miles on a  charge.  I never saw anything like that.  They don't tell you what a massive effect the cold weather has and in the depths of last winter we frequently got much less than 50 miles.  Yes they do a 30kwH Leaf which is supposed to do up to 150 miles except my friend's doesn't. 

The top spec Nissan Leaf  has heated seats and a heated steering wheel.  Nissan advises that in cold weather you warm the car up while it's on charge then use the heated seats and the heated steering wheel because guess what...when you use the heater it doesn't half affect the range (as do the lights and wipers)!   Oh, and don't try cruising at much more than 50 mph.  It affects the range badly.  I can recall driving on the M6 and actually being pleased to be in a 40mph roadworks zone!

60kwH and 225+ miles next year?  I'll believe it when I see it.  Perhaps in theory....

And then there's the charging pantomime.  At home it could be up to 8 hours, so overnight.  That's just about acceptable, as long as you weren't going anywhere.  A fast charge "on the road" takes almost an hour and only gets you up to about 80% capacity.  Yes, it costs less than petrol/diesel but I bet most people do like we did and go and have a coffee and high-priced snack thus negating the fuel cost advantage to say nothing of the lost time.  And when did anyone last go to a garage where there were only two pumps and frequently one of those wasn't working?  So you had to queue for up to an hour to hook up.  And when you did, other EV drivers might knock on your window and request you to stop charging your car so they could hook theirs up as their need was greater than yours.  And all EV drivers seem to hate hybrid drivers who dare to put their hybrid vehicles on charge!

My Octavia 1.0 low fuel warning light came on today and the car told me it only fuel for 65 miles.  I smiled because I'd already done 520 miles!

Trading our Leaf for a 3-year old Citigo was probably one of the best car deals I've ever done.

No, we have a long way to go.

Sorry to be unusually pessimistic and down beat.

John

PS I love my Cube Cross Pro Allroad E-Mountain Bike, my second e-bike.

bike.JPG

I think everything you say about EV is valid.

I think the car driving public are being conned regarding Electric Cars both by the Manufactures claims & Hyp & the Car reviewing press.

Let's face it: Electric Cars are not up to the job!

The slow progress means it will be years before they can replace Petrol/Diesel Cars.

And my God, what about the Eye Watering Price you have to pay to tolerate the inconvenience of owning one!

No, inspite of all the Bulls**t we all read about the positives of Electric Cars, forget them for the next 10 years at least.

The manufactures need loads more time to offer a decent product to replace Fossel Fuel equivalents + the pathetic infrastructure that exists to keep them moving on the road.

Edited by Ronn

The cost is different for different people / drivers.

If you get a Company Car / Business use, maybe interest free loans as in Scotland, free charging, free parking, use of bus lanes, or even you are leasing a car and a battery for private use and get the financial benefits.

It is a location location location thing really, where you drive, where you park, where you live and where you charge the vehicle.

13 minutes ago, Offski said:

The cost is different for different people / drivers.

If you get a Company Car / Business use, maybe interest free loans as in Scotland, free charging, free parking, use of bus lanes, or even you are leasing a car and a battery for private use and get the financial benefits.

It is a location location location thing really, where you drive, where you park, where you live and where you charge the vehicle.

I think you've hit a nail on the head there.  A near neighbour of ours has just acquired a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV as an alternative to a VW Passat Tdi.  It's about company car tax.

I hope they get there but it's a long way off.

John

I still say the only ‘decent’ electric cars with a  ‘good’ range are the Tesla’s! The major downside being the price tag. 

A range on a Model S P100D (top spec) is a maximum of 400 miles. Way over the Nissan’s 100 miles. 

39 minutes ago, Ronn said:

Yes, is Tesla's Technology a well kept secret or, is it too expensive to put into affordable Electric Cars?

The model 3 will be £35k new so it’s slowly getting into a better price bracket. 

Touch and go whether Tesla will go bankrupt before they get around to producing the RHD models in any quantity.

There are cracks appearing in the house of mirrors.

• 6 months later...

long time since I have been on here

I see the usual suspects are still around :)

interested in the Citigo -E, any further info about it like price etc?

wifes citigo has been commandeered by the daughter, so we are looking for another, but need one without the clutch, the ASG isn't great, so an EV is just the job

swmbo only does short <20 mile runs so range isn't a problem, as longer runs I have my Ioniq Hybrid

from what I am reading it is due end of this year

I just test drove e-up! I was excellent in many ways. I would have bought it if has more range. Under 100km just isn't enough for our needs. If VW isn't your thing I'm sure that e-Citigo is worth to wait. 

• Like 1

I spoketo my local Skoda dealer about the new Citigo range and they are dropping the Automatic in favour of the electric one 

Big mistake dropping the Auto 

The car is perfect for the ladies who only have an Auto licence 

My partner is one of them and i now several others

• Like 1

They dropped it already. Discontinued.  Poor sellers, not WLTP approved.

You get UP! ASG's.  and you got e-UP!'s.   

Skoda dealers or salespeople find out what is what when they get told and at present they know no more than they read in Autocar / Auto Express.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/454118-asg-production

Edited by Skoffski

Keith6775.

Everybody with 1/2 a brain cell knows that there is a snob value in owning the VW badged version of this little beauty.

The parent company VW know that women are the Key Market for this car but, if their husbands have a say in the purchase then, the Skoda version will be purchased.

The Skoda version makes the best sense to buy of all the versions available and, men with their more astute purchasing acumen will go for the Skoda version every time.

We men are not swayed by the advertising crap sent out by VW marketing that 'if you wish to impress your friends, by the VW version'.

Although I own a Audi TT, I find myself reaching for my wife's  Skoda Citigo key everytime when I wish to use a car on our drive.

The Citigo is a great car to drive & don't be misled by it's 'City Car' label.

My wife & I often go on 200 mile trips to the coast on Hotel Breaks for up to a week at a time.

Never experience any driving fatigue & there's loads of space for suitcases inspite of its diminutive size.

P.S. still don't think the new anticipated Citigo Electric is going to be any good for us however, at 186 miles on 'full charge' the range is still too small.

More work needs to done on battery capacity & recharging times before they'll get me out of internal combustion powered vehicles.

Ronn.

Edited by Ronn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ronn said:

P.S. still don't think the new anticipated Citigo Electric is going to be any good for us however, at 186 miles on 'full charge' the range is still too small.

More work needs to done on battery capacity & recharging times before they'll get me out of internal combustion powered vehicles.

Yes but for it's intended market segment of a city car, 186 miles is fine. (great even) For us as a second car it will be ideal. 99% of trips in our current Citigo are les than 20 miles and we only need the extra range for the odd trip to visit relatives when the family car is needed elsewhere. We have our Karoq for 200+ mile trips with luggage / dogs / kids / etc. 

8 hours ago, Ronn said:

Keith6775.

Everybody with 1/2 a brain cell knows that there is a snob value in owning the VW badged version of this little beauty.

The parent company VW know that women are the Key Market for this car but, if their husbands have a say in the purchase then, the Skoda version will be purchased.

The Skoda version makes the best sense to buy of all the versions available and, men with their more astute purchasing acumen will go for the Skoda version every time.

We men are not swayed by the advertising crap sent out by VW marketing that 'if you wish to impress your friends, by the VW version'.

Although I own a Audi TT, I find myself reaching for my wife's  Skoda Citigo key everytime when I wish to use a car on our drive.

The Citigo is a great car to drive & don't be misled by it's 'City Car' label.

My wife & I often go on 200 mile trips to the coast on Hotel Breaks for up to a week at a time.

Never experience any driving fatigue & there's loads of space for suitcases inspite of its diminutive size.

Ronn.

My partner has an auto citigo and its a fight for the keys when we go fir a drive ..lol 

And I win :)

Its such fun to drive , im 6'2" and find it amazingly comfy 

It sits fine on the motorway , the only thing I find if you slow in traffic on the motorway if theres a hill it takes a bit of getting going again in auto so i just flick into manual and then when up to speed again back to AUTO ..

Its such to drive around the back roads too 

Handles like a gocart ..high grin factor

12 hours ago, Ronn said:

Keith6775.

Show me a Citigo TSI, please. 

Although VW regard their 'Up' as the superior 'Top End' version of their City car (Skoda Citigo & Seat Mii being the other alternative versions), I would never buy the VW Up version.

Why (I hear you ask).

Well, 

1. That all glass boot lid looks like one of those cheap little Citroen C1's or a Toyota Aygo.

2. The grilleless front end that looks like a Fairground Dodgem Car.

3. Those bloody awful cut away side rear windows.

4. Oh, and not to forget the inflated VW Up Price Tag.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't understand why the majority of you out there think that a car labeled as a City Car (e.g. Skoda Citigo) is only useful for short journeys.

I drive a Audi TT & my wife has a Citigo.

We ALWAYS used the Citigo do short breaks or even full weeks away from home to the coast, often travelling 200 miles + in each direction.

Never experience any travel fatigue & the Citigo has plenty of space for overnight bags or even suitcases.

The reasons we use the Citigo for these trips are obvious.

1. Fuel Economy.

2. Ease of Parking.

That is why I say that a Electric version of the Citigo giving 186 mike's on a full charge is no good to me (or my wife).

Any EV will need to deliver around 350 miles on full charge before it can be regarded as an alternative to a Petrol fuelled car.

After all, just think about it, if you were in the market for a small Petrol Fuelled car, would you ever consider buying on that only gives you 186 miles range on a full tank of petrol?

Of course you wouldn't!!!

It would be pathetic & the Motoring Press would regard it a derisory.

7 hours ago, Ronn said:

I don't understand why the majority of you out there think that a car labeled as a City Car (e.g. Skoda Citigo) is only useful for short journeys.

I drive a Audi TT & my wife has a Citigo.

We ALWAYS used the Citigo do short breaks or even full weeks away from home to the coast, often travelling 200 miles + in each direction.

Never experience any travel fatigue & the Citigo has plenty of space for overnight bags or even suitcases.

The reasons we use the Citigo for these trips are obvious.

1. Fuel Economy.

2. Ease of Parking.

That is why I say that a Electric version of the Citigo giving 186 mike's on a full charge is no good to me (or my wife).

Any EV will need to deliver around 350 miles on full charge before it can be regarded as an alternative to a Petrol fuelled car.

After all, just think about it, if you were in the market for a small Petrol Fuelled car, would you ever consider buying on that only gives you 186 miles range on a full tank of petrol?

Of course you wouldn't!!!

It would be pathetic & the Motoring Press would regard it a derisory.

so when you head off for your long weekends you drive those 200 miles straight and never stop?

I just did a trip from Livingston to Stafford and back. Leaving at 6pm on friday night and returning leaving at 5pm on Saturday night. I've done that trip in a petrol car many times. In the petrol car I stop somewhere for some food and then I stop again for a break and a loo stop. Guess what?  In my car which only has 140 mile range I stopped at Gretna (would have been Southwaite but we were knocked onto the hard shoulder by a truck and had to spend 45 minutes giving statements to the police) and then we stopped for the loo at Lancaster.

On the way back we stopped at Preston, and Tebay. My passenger's bladder forced us to stop at Abington too (nothing to do with the car).

I did not need 300 mile range. The trip was only 536 miles in total so the 140 mile range was fine. 

Bottom line here is that in my old petrol car I'd have stopped more or less in the same places, but it would have cost me a lot more to do the trip. Even at rip off motorway prices for refueling it cost me just £25 to cover the 536 miles (and I had a third of a charge left over so more miles would be covered for that £25).

the idea that people can and should safely drive 350 miles non stop is just crazy. 

Who said anything about driving 350 miles without stopping?

But what I don't want to do is, be FORCED TO STOP at the discretion of an Electric Vehicle because the little Electrons have stopped running down the wires after 186 miles.

If I stop on a journey it will be when I want to stop & where I want stop!!

In 2019, Petrol Powered cars give ME that choice & freedom.

Electric Powered cars don't. 

Not Rocket science is it?

Edited by Ronn