Petrol engines advice if buying a mk2

Zarch

Over in the mk.1 forum I've been getting some great advice as i've been contemplating an old mk1 when our leased Yeti has to go back in 8 weeks time.

But i'm also considering the option of spending a bit more and getting a mk2 (07/08/09/10 plate) and maybe an estate to replicate the boot space of the Yeti.

From searching the mk2 forum it would appear any of the TSI engines would be a bad choice due to the chain issues?

I'll only be doing around 4k per year and generally short trip urban driving ferrying the kids and their bikes about.

Is the 1.2 HTP 68bhp engine up to dragging a larger estate around?  or would a 1.4 85bhp be a better bet? 

We have a lot of hills in Sheffield and maybe we've gotten too used to our newer 16 plate Fabia 90 bhp and the Yeti 110bhp engines. :)

Cheers.

It might 'appear any of the TSI engines would be a bad choice due to the chain issues'   But that is only appearances. 

There are 2010-2012 TSI's problem free or that have had updated chain tensioners, and then newer ones without issue.

So 

What is your budget to by a petrol mk2 Fabia?

• Like 2

On 21/08/2018 at 14:33, Offski said:

What is your budget to by a petrol mk2 Fabia?

Maybe £2,000 to £2,500 .... like 07/08/09 sort of plate?  One of the early ones.

• Like 1

^^^ That is true you do not know the quality, and when you get an engine from a vehicle it is sitting in you can only go by the Mileometer and cars history..

But people manage to source them from Accident Damaged cars as not everyone writes off a car because an engine is a write off.

I can recommend the 1.2 HTP engine having run mine for 40 odd thousand miles (73,000 in total) in the last couple of years. This has included about 8 runs from Lincolnshire to Cardiff on the motorways. It's not an engine for regular motorway use nor for a large family, but for 2 it's ideal. I find  the engine willing and free revving  so it's a pleasure to drive and it has not used a drop of oil between services. If you're in a rush you do need to use the gearbox however as it only has 70bhp, but that does come in at a useful 3,000 revs. Do check the gearbox for bearing noise especially in 3rd, 4th and 5th as I've just had to have mine rebuilt for this (£1,033.20) and have been told it's not an uncommon issue with the HTP gearboxes. The fact I've spent £1,000+ on the car tells you that I like the engine :-). 

• Like 1

I have the 1.4 16v engine in my fabia and it has been very good, on a long run the trip computer has been showing 45mpg and it does not burn any oil from what i can see. However when under load under 3000rpm i can hear a faint ticking sound coming from the engine, i dont think its serious as the engine pulls well, gets good mpg and burns no oil. However i dont know if it suffers from the gearbox bearing issue that the htp fabia suffers from.

We have a 2002 Polo with the 1.4 16v engine,if we use 95 ron fuel we get 'pinking' (rattling) from the engine whilst under load.

If we use 97/98 ron the engine is quiet,we normally use Tesco 99 'momentum'.

On our fuel flap the placard states 98/95 ron  which I would read as 98 ron being the preferred fuel and 95 being ok if 98 is not available.

Worth a try if you do not already use 97/98/99 ron fuel ?

Thanks for the advice, I will give the 98ron fuel a try, from what i understand though, these engines can  also have faulty hydraulic valve lifters which can also make a tapping sound.

Thanks everyone.

I think we are leaning towards a 07/08/09/10 Estate rather than Hatch now, so wondering if the 1.2 HTP might be a little underpowered?

Find one for sale, go view it an drive it then decide.  If that one is not for you but there is the power you need look at others, if not then do not.

That is the only way to know as personally for me they would have enough power if i was never going out of town and doing a few hundred miles with a full car.

22 hours ago, fabia88 said:

Thanks for the advice, I will give the 98ron fuel a try, from what i understand though, these engines can  also have faulty hydraulic valve lifters which can also make a tapping sound.

I used to find with our 1.4 16v that it was much more likely to 'pink' in warm weather - not usually so bad in cooler weather.

The 'pinking' on our engine was a totally different type of noise from what I expected,on older engines (say back in the 60's/70's/80's) the 'pinking' noise was tinnier/rounder/more sort of echoey - the pinking on our Polo 16v was much more like a flat mechanical rattle and I was seriously worried about it until I realised it was at least partly ambient temperature related.

I agree there are other possible causes of engine mechanical noises but nice to try to eliminate possible causes as easily as possible.

Quite frankly I would be inclined to steer clear of the mk2 unless you are mechanically knowledgeable. The HTP 3 pots particularly pre 2010 are not economical on fuel, pretty noisy (particularly loud whine at 2000 rpm from balancer) and feeble performance wise. OK for running around locally though. The tsi’s are a much better drive but a gamble. The timing chains are a very common problem, if the engine was made before 2012 and hasn't had its oil changes at 10k/1 year absolute max then don't buy. For others its only a matter of time. The engine was reworked in ~2012 with revised chain/tensioner parts, enlarged oil galleries and larger oil capacity. VW/Skoda in full stealth mode didn't publicise this and even gave the new engines the same codes CBZA/CBZB. Cheeky buggers.

For both htp and tsi engines, any loud rattle on a cold start after it has been stood overnight, or on any other cold/warm start, then walk away and find another one.

Also the rear drum brakes on these cars are a pig when they start sticking/seizing on after being parked up after rain/washing as they invariably do. Requires complete strip/clean/rebuild with certain parts replaced if not completely new brakes fitted.

In my experience of 3 fabias, front wheel bearings are prone to early failure and recently had major issues with the 5 speed gearbox (bearing in final diff collapsed) on one and excessive noise on another.

Do you think keeping the gearbox oil level topped up will reduce the chance of the gearbox bearings failing? Because as a student it would be a huge finantial strain to have to pay for a gearbox rebuild

Common sense is to check the level and top up if necessary especially if you suspect a leak. Unfortunately its not really something you can do yourself. Its supposed to be checked at a Skoda major service, but I have my doubts whether some dealers bother.

• Like 1

I did a bit of research and apparently the oil is at the right level when it is level with the filler hole, when i checked my car almost half a litre was required to bring it back to the correct level. I believe the shaft seals may be leaking a bit as there are patches of oil around the drive shafts on the gearbox.

On 26/08/2018 at 14:09, xman said:

Quite frankly I would be inclined to steer clear of the mk2 unless you are mechanically knowledgeable. The HTP 3 pots particularly pre 2010 are not economical on fuel, pretty noisy (particularly loud whine at 2000 rpm from balancer) and feeble performance wise. OK for running around locally though. The tsi’s are a much better drive but a gamble. The timing chains are a very common problem, if the engine was made before 2012 and hasn't had its oil changes at 10k/1 year absolute max then don't buy. For others its only a matter of time. The engine was reworked in ~2012 with revised chain/tensioner parts, enlarged oil galleries and larger oil capacity. VW/Skoda in full stealth mode didn't publicise this and even gave the new engines the same codes CBZA/CBZB. Cheeky buggers.

For both htp and tsi engines, any loud rattle on a cold start after it has been stood overnight, or on any other cold/warm start, then walk away and find another one.

Also the rear drum brakes on these cars are a pig when they start sticking/seizing on after being parked up after rain/washing as they invariably do. Requires complete strip/clean/rebuild with certain parts replaced if not completely new brakes fitted.

In my experience of 3 fabias, front wheel bearings are prone to early failure and recently had major issues with the 5 speed gearbox (bearing in final diff collapsed) on one and excessive noise on another.

Thank you for the comprehensive reply...... but oh dear, quite a damning verdict of the mk2 that really puts me off unless, I want pay more than our budget get something 2012/2013 onwards.  I wouldn't gamble with a pre 2012 TSI anyway from what i've read previously.

Maybe I can live with the sluggish 1.2 HTP on a 07/08/09/10.  As per previous advice given, i'm going to get my backside in gear over the next few weeks and test drive one to see how it performs for me.

Or maybe i'll revert back to the mk1 idea, LOL.

Thank you.

As previous mentioned find a 1.2 TSI that has had yearly oil changes or 10k whichever comes first. I did and bought my 2011(60 plate fl 1.2 (86hp) TSI just 2 years ago with 62k , it's now got 81k and still going strong. In fact it's now with remap (to 122hp) and with full stainless exhaust it has 142hp. And it's had two oil changes keeping to yearly intervals. All cars have their faults , lot are even down to owners not keeping to correct regular upkeep. I'm not a believer in mileage based services.

Drove a 12 plate 70bhp 1.2 HTP estate today and was pleasantly surprised by the engine.  Seemed to have enough poke around a few Sheffield hills I tried it up.

Won't be following up though.  Despite FSH it just seemed a little battered around the edges for me, maybe i'm expecting too much for something at 6 years old.

I'd like to try a 1.2 TSI though as I expect it to really have more oomph.  So will continue to keep an eye out.

After the acceptable, but not very exciting performance of the 1.2 HTP engine in the estate I drove last week I was smiling yesterday whilst test driving a 1.2 TSI.  

This car was night and day from the HTP.  Everything about it was on a different level; engine, condition etc

I enjoyed driving it that much i'm taking delivery of said 11 plate 1.2 TSI Elegance in a week or so. Has main dealer FSH with everything at the right time (year/10k), 55k on the clock.

I took the advice of the board of buying based on condition and history.  It ticked the boxes on both fronts.  As well as being elegance and having those rear parking sensors etc.

Its coming from a Skoda main dealer and I asked specific questions over and over about the timing chain. 

I was assured there were no problems on that front and that it had been through full workshop checks.

Obviously this can't guarantee there won't be future issues, but being non-mechanical its a much reassurance as I think I could get alongside the FSH.

Also comes with 3 month warranty.

Granted, this blows the original budget of what I was after at first, ie  £1k mk1 hatch........ but the search took the family decision down different paths. LOL.

So the leased Yeti goes back in a few weeks and in comes this Fabia Estate to replace.  We'll be a 2 Fabia family. :)

Search over.  So expect numerous new threads on stereo replacement (swing) and other topics! :)

FabIMG_1359.JPG

• Like 1