(3T) 3.6 V6 4x4 hatch project ideas

I have no documents to prove the dsg adapts, I was told it did when I bought it and if it doesn't then I am able to fool my mind very efficiently.

I often drive on very hilly roads and the dsg behaves great unless I have spent a day on the motorway the day before and then the car wants to go downhill in 6th (exaggerating for clarity)

Using the manual shift a few times has it changing down again or at least not changing up on the steep declines.

As for time lag on changing, absolutely. I have learned to never boot the accelerator without changing to sport mode first (or manual)

I am shocked they would think the dsg was a suitable item in a 3.6 but then again a 3,6 superb is made for a different market than a 3.6 (insert some sporty car model here please)

Edited by superbdreams
  • Thanks 1

PS.

I am not anti-big cars.  You might of thought these guys were driving the perfect cars on the perfect road, except they were in the middle of the road almost all the time even on the few blind bends that there are, and it took a few passes in my big dirty diesel dsg 7 seater to be able to get a shift on on the road i know like the back of my favoured hand.

(i call her Palm. This day i was calling them b-****ers)

DSCN0131.JPG

DSCN0133.JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

Unless it's about DSG ;)

Touché, but I've asked one of my tech friends to pull out the service documentation on the DSG (it will probably be in Croatian or German), once we find what we're looking for, I'll get back to you ... but the DSG definitely does adapt to both the clutch wear (which can be reset) and driving style ... though, I'll accept that it maybe isn't actually the DSG as the gearbox itself, but rather the main ECU that dictates this behavior, but since the DSG is an automatic, it just listens to the commands received from the central (which adapts, in regard of various parameters, past and present ones on the road) ... the Aisin-Warner AT6 gearbox on the PSA cars (and quite a number of other cars of course) worked the same (except it wasn't a dual-clutch) ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Offski said:

So can have 2 brain farts.

Sorry, but I just can't resist, I know a good joke regarding this ...

There was a lady sitting in a crowded restaurant, waiting for her date to arrive. All of a sudden, without any warning, she let one go (farted) ... She felt very embarrassed as she started to notice the stares of people sitting around her, so she immediately stopped a waiter that was, by chance, standing right next to her when the incident happened and told him: "Stop that!" ... and he replied: "Lady, which way is it heading?"

Edited by vborovic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, jafo said:

if you've posted on your phone

Nope, I'm using a notebook ... much easier, and I'm not that impatient to wait for every single notification that would pop-up on the phone regarding the forum ... and today was surprisingly active (must be because it's Tuesday) ... :D

"The DSG does not adapt to the driver - the driver must adapt to the DSG. The DSG does adapt to its own behavior. In other words, if it slips a shift or makes a rough shift, it will correct itself to prevent that behavior in the future. Some of this will also be adapting to clutch wear over time."

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394995

• Thanks 1

put it in sport and see how it behaves i find it makes a world of difference to the box and the way the car drives, however these cars may be passat/A6 based but they do have bigger overhangs and am inclined to agree they can be a bit wallowy on certain roads and they certainly like to lean, stiffer dampers and bushes should cure it and maybe a slightly larger wheel ie 19s with a drop of 1 inch on standard rate springs.

Power wise VAG didnt make an engine specifically for skoda so i bet there is some truth to the detuned bit but what exactly did they detune

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cssuk said:

Power wise VAG didnt make an engine specifically for skoda so i bet there is some truth to the detuned bit but what exactly did they detune

The Superb is at the lower end of the power rating of the "same" engine, with "only" 260 HP, the "same engine" is mounted in the R36, Audi TTs, and a Porsche Cayenne (maybe some others as well) ... in the Cayenne's case, it outputs 300 HP, in the Passat's R36, it outputs 280 HP ... mechanically, they should be the same, I think the only major change is the ECU maps, though there could also be some minor changes within them, but which wouldn't make such or any impact on the HP output (much like you can get i.e. the "same" 2.0 HDi but with 2-3 variants of +20 HPs (factory maps actually, but selling you a much more expensive car).

8 hours ago, cssuk said:

and am inclined to agree they can be a bit wallowy on certain roads and they certainly like to lean, stiffer dampers and bushes should cure

Maybe the current situation is such that the bushes or other dampers already need replacing? I know (off the record ... :notme:) that the car handles just fine (almost like a go-kart) on a highway bend rated/limited at 100 km/h, while being driven at 180 km/h ... while still remaining in your own lane of course ...

Edited by vborovic
  • Like 1

hmm no on the mway its fine been well over the uk speed limit on a Autobhan and it handles fine, however on the twisty 40-70mph A and B roads in the UK it can feel a bit wallowy if you want to push on certainly more so than my passat B6 with the same engine (170 TDI) but its also more comfortable so something has to give, out of curiosity will the antiroll bars from the Octavia VRS fit the superb that might be a way forward but i still think a general control uprate rather than a stiffness increase would be more beneficial on the superb

9 minutes ago, cssuk said:

out of curiosity will the antiroll bars from the Octavia VRS fit the superb that might be a way forward but i still think a general control uprate rather than a stiffness increase would be more beneficial on the superb

If anyone wants to be a guinea pig, I'll be sure to follow ... :D

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/901203/skoda/h_r-anti-roll-bar-kits/33220-1.html

• 3 months later...

Right-o, so an update from my side to this post. 

I love this car. Like so many others have said, to be able to leave it in D and waft my family around, occasionally with a boot full of camping equipment and five people on board, then drop it into S and flappy-paddle it when it's just me, I have also regularly ferried customers around in it and have had no complaints so far.  Great great versatility and more than once surprised the hell out of other drivers. :D 

I have not started any modifications on the car, but stand by by my earlier comments around occasional DSG lag when pushing it (saw someone else on the forum has had the same issues), and requiring handling upgrades to make it feel less unsettled around corners. I am prioritizing handling upgrades therefore and have contacted a couple of tuning companies, but few seem interested in getting back to me or those that do are unfamiliar with the car. The curse of owning a fairly rare specimen I guess.

I have done some serious mileage in it now, around 10,000 miles, and fuel consumption is about as expected averaging around 22 mpg or 13 l/100km (though after a recent trip between Manchester and Edinburgh my average mpg came up as 6...I wont post what my trip average speed was showing however).

A couple of niggles:

1. The passenger foot-well and glove-box lights have a short somewhere. They periodically turn off, then turn back on again when you hit a bump.

2. The oil change indicator seems awfully keen. I had the DSG and engine oils done in October and now my car has decided it's time to change them again....? 

3. The tracking keeps getting thrown out, resulting in a slight wobble in the steering when doing over 70mph. Have paid good money to have it sorted twice now.

4. There is a small, irritating and inconsistent squeak coming from the drivers side backseat somewhere and it's driving me insane as I only think about it when I am doing a long run somewhere OR when I am sitting at work and can't do anything about it....

On a winter-note, we've got some serious ice build up around here and are expecting snow so have ordered some Avon WV7 snow tyres. Seemed fairly balanced reviews and decent price compared to many of the premium brands.  

So I guess it will be 2019 before I do commence it as a project. Let you know when I do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, bfg_hightower said:

Had to drive my wife's car this morning. This is why I need a Superb....

unnamed.thumb.jpg.80f0cd9011e12cfc65ea7de8438e2b92.jpg

In a similar vein I actually got to drive MY car this morning (I usually drive the Missus' Peugeot 308 due to the dipsomaniac drinking tendencies of the Superb).

Hmm - nice warm seats and a scraper-free windscreen at -3 deg c.. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just had major service, MOT, brake fluid change, switch over to summer tyres at local Skoda garage. Around £600 including replacement wind screen washer pump which gave up the ghost. Good news is that the car made it through clean.

(I tell you what lads and lassies, when they said that additional work would be charged at £108 per hour, I nearly fell off my chair! If only they would pay their mechanics a larger portion of the fee they charge their customers...)

The weird thing is, other than the pump I also seem to have developed rather squeaky brakes, and one of the brakes isn't engaging as well as the other three causing car to very slightly twist when brakes are applied in earnest (at speed). However the garage checked the brakes, and all they said is that they could do with a clean.