Fabia mk1,Manual Door Locking

This  may help anybody who has problems with the interior light not coming on,when one of the front doors are opened. My mk1 has manual door locking.I noticed the passenger door stopped turning the interior light on when opened. I checked the circuit, and decided to take the door lock out,because it seemed the microswitch was faulty. A triple square 8mm spline bit( 12 tips) is needed to remove the two lock holding bolts.  It turned out the switch plunger was sticking in because of old oil and dirt.  The reason I am posting this is no mention on Briskoda,or the internet,the fact that the switch cannot be changed, complete lock replacement seemed the only solution .The microswitch,and the 2 pin socket are directly connected. I wrongly  assumed that a burgess type microswitch with or without the red and blue wires could be used to replace the faulty switch. To sum up I managed to clean the plunger with switch cleaner(not WD40),and it worked.

Edited by AndyPandy
missed words

There are plenty of posts on microswitch replacement. I replaced mine with a Burgess one (with slight modification to the mounting holes in the lock unit).  However, direct replacement microswitches are now available on ebay.

Part numbers..

Left: 3BD998785

Right: 3BD998786

There maybe plenty of posts on microswitch replacement for Central Locking locks.The reason I posted was making the point that Manual locks on Mk1's have a different microswitch setup.Central Locking has about 3 microswitches, an 8 pin socket, and a motor.My locks have just one microswitch which is directly connected to a 2 pin socket.There are no connecting wires between them.I have attached a photo showing  this

Fabia Manual passenger door lock bottom view.jpg

Not a problem it has taken me 16 years to find this out,and I posted to help other members with the same setup.Its the first time since owning the car I have had to work on the door lock itself.I have fitted  a Sparkrite remote system which needed solenoids fitting to each door.Retro fitting a Fabia system seemed far to involved,and expensive. It appears a VW Golf Mk4 manual lock is identical.By the way this photo is not of my lock,I cleaned mine up while it was out!

Edited by AndyPandy
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

sorry to bring up an old thread, but my key as started spinning in the drivers side door today, (it has been hard to turn for the last 2 days again, I was gonna spray more wd40 today but the Mrs went to it today and obviously forced it, LOL says she didn't!)

it as been stiff before but putting in a flat head driver and some wd40 solved it temporarily, 

but now it wont open either from inside either (pulling the door lever just seems to jam, the button by the window doesn't come up fully),

so I'm guessing this part as gone on my car, any idea of the part number?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-2000-2005-OFFSIDE-DRIVER-SIDE-FRONT-MANUAL-DOOR-LOCK-CATCH-MECHANISM/303118222305?hash=item46934103e1:g:TrEAAOSwy2Ncp7ut

I think this is it, non electrical version, no central locking, however it seems very expensive for the state it looks.

thanks

:)

Cars.. always something... the list just keeps growing

also I remember taking the door panel off before to try and have a look, but it seems the metal panel is riveted on, so I left it there as using a screw driver seemed to unstick it,

so I cant actually see my part, I don't want to take it all apart unless I've brought a rivet gun and got the correct part to put back in,

I'm gonna take the lock barrel out in a bit just to make sure it isn't that, if it is that then ill just swap barrel with the passenger door, but because it seems as if the button on the inside of the door is jamming, I think its the internal lock mechanism.

As always any help/advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Edited by MinkyMike

You should have bolted door panels on a 2002 car. Maybe a door from a later car was fitted at some point? :thinking:

So your car doesn't have central locking?

12 hours ago, TMB said:

You should have bolted door panels on a 2002 car. Maybe a door from a later car was fitted at some point? :thinking:

So your car doesn't have central locking?

Nope, nothing at all, its key only, no power windows either, I'm sure it was riveted last time i had the door panel off, that's why I didn't go further, but I'll have another look.

Having to get in the passenger side and jump across, it's a right pain ! lol

Edited by MinkyMike

You might have to take the front seat out and remove the door card and metal panel and then smash the lock to get it to open.

damn I'm having quite a bit of trouble finding one, even on Skoda parts with my vin number in, nothing is showing up, all my local scrap yards will only sell a door now.

anyone know a good part site where I could put in my vin number?

update:

after 1 hours of searching I appear to have found it I think, under a different part number (apparently the part number is superseeded?)

it is the 2 pin connector, (non central locking, right hand drive, front right) ..

how complicated it is.

3B1837015BR

there's one for £50 pounds on eBay.

I'm pretty sure this is it, I emailed them and they say they think its correct, but it it isn't send it back for a full refund.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Right-Door-Lock-Actuator-Mechanism-for-VW-Transporter-T5-2003-on/113241792566?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've spent so much on this care lately, and now the drive shaft is knockin! O.o

Edited by MinkyMike

Does look like the right one. Seems very expensive considering you can get pattern central locking ones for about £23.

Edited by TMB

I guess I won't know till I get the old one out.

Yes, it is expensive :/

I cannot find this part anywhere else nightmare.

Edited by MinkyMike

Be very careful when buying a secondand item.Mk 1 cars normally have had a lot of door opening and closing.This can cause wear on the plastic cam which engages with the microswitch.Before fitting a  S/H one make sure the microswitch is operating in both positions correctly by using a multimeter on the ohms range. I bought a S/H one on Ebay.which looked OK on first sight. But it had a worn cam,so I got a refund. The locks are quite involved to remove and fit. On my car the lock barrel had corrosion which made it hard to remove,and you cannot get the whole lock out without removing the barrel.

Yes, it looks a right pain.. I've ordered that new one..  just hope it's the correct one.  

He made that lock barrel look really easy, I remember trying to get mine out before that time the key went hard to turn, and it wouldn't budge. 

I even lost the top grub screw in the door, hopefully this will be my chance to retrieve it with a magnet.

Edited by MinkyMike

Well I'm gonna have a go at this tommorow the lock is here and a rivet gun, I've watched that video tmb very helpful mate, I'm a bit unsure as to why the window glass as to be removed though? Doesn't really make sence to me but I'm guessing all will be obvious tomorrow, updates to follow. Cheers 

Edited by MinkyMike

1 hour ago, MinkyMike said:

Well I'm gonna have a go at this tommorow the lock is here and a rivet gun, I've watched that video tmb very helpful mate, I'm a bit unsure as to why the window glass as to be removed though? Doesn't really make sence to me but I'm guessing all will be obvious tomorrow, updates to follow. Cheers 

Once you have unbolted the two window regulator clamps you can just pull the window closed and tape it to the top of the door frame. No need to take it out of the door.

I taped mine at the bottom but either way is fine. I think I taped the bottom because I had to use the car before the job was finished and I needed the door to close properly.

SS853023.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

ah cheers mate, well anyhow it turns out that its not the internal lock issue,

but the actual lock barrel as siezed, so going to return the lock i brought,

and i've just ordered a lock barrel repair kit, see how that goes.

Anyone had any luck with these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Door-Lock-Repair-Kit-Front-Fits-Skoda-Fabia-Mk1-1-4-5-YEAR-WARRANTY/174017453798?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I know I could buy 2 new lock cylinders, but I really dont want an extra key.

Edited by MinkyMike

Brillitant, looks nice and easy, Hey Lee, you wouldn't happen to know the size of the top grub screw would you? the top one T20, Like a plonker I went too far and let mine fall inside the door. :D

you can buy them on ebay not sure what M size it is though, i could take the passenger side out and measure it but i run the risk of loosing 2 :)

or am I possibly looking at a search & rescue operation?

or do I just pretend that i never lost it and its all good, argh! this will bother me, athough I know the 2nd screw under is more then enough to keep it in!

haha

also it you were right the panel is bolted not riveted, not sure why i thought it was O_o

Edited by MinkyMike

:D

Grub screw is M5x9. Part number N 90976902

ebay seems to mostly have M5x8 or M5x10. I guess the M5x10 would be fine rather than risking the shorter one.

Edited by TMB
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MinkyMike said:

also it you were right the panel is bolted not riveted, not sure why i thought it was O_o

Ah, good :biggrin:

Did you try the magnet to find the grub screw? If I remember correctly, the doors have a crevice at the bottom that seems to swallow up tiny screws and they are never seen again :D

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

Excellent, much appreciated, many thanks ! 

I didn't actually take the inside panel off, as I didn't need to, so I didn't break the seal.

Also I noticed my speaker as also popped. Doh

Edited by MinkyMike
  • Like 1