Reminded why STOP/START is nonsense

I am looking for a Van that i like, but think now i have seen a Peugeot Rifter i will get one,

just because i can not believe that Peugeot did not know what someone rifting does.

19 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

And it’s a little bit arrogant of you to presume you know our requirements better than we do. You seem to have reduced it to a one dimensional assumption of it all being about economy. For information, our requirements were big enough to fit our stuff, economical, comfortable on a long journey, decent headlights for driving at night, CarPlay. An opening panoramic roof was on the nice to have list.

I wasn't presuming, I was going on the requirements you'd mentioned in previous posts in this thread. That list seems to grow with each post so the goal posts keep moving.

This thread is about stop / start, which as you'd expect turned into a debate between those that like it and those that don't.

In the defence of those that don't, my point was that the benefits of stop start, from a moral perspective, can easily be offset by not choosing an SUV.

I've no issue with those that aren't overly concerned, I'm one of them, my decision to buy a Kodiaq was based on some of the same reasons as yours, but I am willing to accept that there are other more environmentally friendly cars out there that can meet those needs equally well.

12 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I wasn't presuming, I was going on the requirements you'd mentioned in previous posts in this thread. That list seems to grow with each post so the goal posts keep moving.

You know that comes across as a little bit rude? I didn’t claim to have posted an exhaustive list, and I didn’t think it would be taken to mean that all I wanted from a car was something that had a massive boot and the best possible economy, and nothing else mattered. 

Sheesh, you posted the important aspects surrounding your choice to buy a Kodiaq. Unsurprisingly my response focused on them. Neither unreasonable, or rude.

On 04/09/2018 at 09:28, MrTrilby said:

What a ridiculous, ignorant and divisive thing to say. I’m out. 

The above post was in response to someone who suggested the reason they chose to occasionally turn off stop start was that they weren't overly concerned about emissions, compared with mechanical reliability. I'm getting the impression you might be being overly sensitive, there are limitations to the written word, especially with regard to impersonality.

No offence or disrespect implied or intended.

On 04/09/2018 at 08:37, Kenny R said:

Let’s just put it down to those that just use a car as a tool and have no mechanical sympathy whatsoever and are quite happy to use stop/start even though it’s benefits are minimal, and those that have some interest in cars and how they work and prefer to turn stop/start off.

That’s not true. My post was in response to the above. They’re not “suggesting a reason they turn off stop start”, they’re pigeonholing anyone who disagrees with their opinion as being someone with “no mechanical sympathy” and that only people who turn stop start off can have an interest in cars.

Thats what I meant by divisive as the “if you disagree with me you must be lack mechanically sympathy and have no interest in cars” shuts down debate, which is a shame because as someone who actually is interested in cars, I find the detail of how things like the stop start logic works and the mechanical modifications made to reduce wear fascinating. 

And I think it’s a bit ignorant because it’s far less black and white than implied about which approach has the greater mechanical sympathy: is pulling off your drive and sitting in a queue of stationary traffic with the engine idling in cold oil more mechanically sympathetic than having it just stop?

So yes I am a bit sensitive when you effectively call me a liar about my requirements for a car, or if I’m told that disagreeing means I must have no interest in the topic. I suspect that I’m not so unusual in that respect.  

6 hours ago, NikTheGreek said:

Dear GIBSONMB greetings from Thessaloniki, Greece. I noticed an argument in your otherwise wise post. We dont all get to swap cars in 3 or 4 years, while they are under warranty. So i am expecting skoda or any other manufacturer of commercial vehicles to provide me an environmental friendly start stop system that its use does not compromise other vital parts of the vehicle, like turbo charger or battery etc.

I think this is a fair point and I've not had any personal evidence of the start/stop causing all the mayhem amongst the engine parts mentioned here. I do know the battery is specially designed with start/stop in mind.

I also recognise that I'm very fortunate in being able to change my car every couple of years. I do wonder how a car with this amount of electronics and embedded systems will work in say 10 years.

On 29/09/2018 at 23:06, GIBSONMB said:

I think this is a fair point and I've not had any personal evidence of the start/stop causing all the mayhem amongst the engine parts mentioned here. I do know the battery is specially designed with start/stop in mind.

I also recognise that I'm very fortunate in being able to change my car every couple of years. I do wonder how a car with this amount of electronics and embedded systems will work in say 10 years.

Personally, I don’t think today’s cars will be working very well at all in 10 years.

I think they are all built down to a price and have become very much a “throwaway” consumer product, like so many other things around us.

So will be very interested to see how today’s attractive bells and whistles are performing in the distant future. Obviously, money can be spent to maintain almost any mechanical object, but a lot of people won’t entertain that approach to their motoring in future.

The manufacturers and dealers are only interested in selling as many new vehicles as possible.

And by “selling” I really mean Renting for 2/3/4 years.

I can spot the difference in the way my kids generation regard “things” in their 21st century world. Replace far more that we did. Throw stuff away. Get the latest. And just generally don’t look after what they’ve got the way the older ones among us do/or did.

I am the guy who intends to keep my Kodiaq for 10+ years,... 15 is even better... lol, not sure if it's a realistic idea though..

So, I feed him the best oil I can get form the market (it's a Vollsynthetisch oil made in Germany), https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmp-sae-5w-30.html

and change the oil every 7500 KM 

We do have 3 times free oil change service in Taiwan, the factory suggestion oil change interval is 15000 KM or 1 year, which comes first.

And I am also considering to change the DSG ATF oil on 30000 KM, which is half of what Skoda suggests in the manual.

Fortunately, after one and half year my Kodiaq is still working like perfectly, but only has one flaw: the headlights case getting "blur", and it's under Skoda warranty ..they replace it for free.

1.thumb.jpg.36dbaf83e96657caf7697a0f5b1dad57.jpg

Good stuff if you do not do many km / miles or do and have loads of money to change engine oil sooner than every 5,000 miles and the DSG before 19,000.

When are you doing the Haldex oil or has that already been done at half the guideline distance of 48,000 km?

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 21:57, Offski said:

I am looking for a Van that i like, but think now i have seen a Peugeot Rifter i will get one,

just because i can not believe that Peugeot did not know what someone rifting does.

I didn't know either!

But whilst looking up "rifting" in the Urban Dictionary, I came across another (and rather more unsavoury) definition of the word "rifter".

It reminded me of the reason I called my old Berlingo "Schitroen" :D

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Good stuff if you do not do many km / miles or do and have loads of money to change engine oil sooner than every 5,000 miles and the DSG before 19,000.

When are you doing the Haldex oil or has that already been done at half the guideline distance of 48,000 km?

Haldex oil exchange is included in the free-of-charge service provided by Skoda @ 45000 KM. :)

But you are using up your free Services quick.

So why would you be doing the DSG at 1/2 the Service Guidelines and not the Haldex?   The parts that commonly have the issue.

Good that your Service Plans include the Haldex, because in the UK a 'Full Main Dealer Service History' at 4 years might not mean the DSG, Haldex or Brakes have had the Fluid Changed.

16 hours ago, Offski said:

But you are using up your free Services quick.

So why would you be doing the DSG at 1/2 the Service Guidelines and not the Haldex?   The parts that commonly have the issue.

Good that your Service Plans include the Haldex, because in the UK a 'Full Main Dealer Service History' at 4 years might not mean the DSG, Haldex or Brakes have had the Fluid Changed.

Our Free Service Plans don't cover DSG oil change either, it's scheduled @ 60000 KM. 
It however included the engine oil change @ 15000, 30000, 45000 KM (using 5W-30 LL III oil, looks like a Castrol one) 

The Haldex oil change is also included (45000 KM) :)  

Halex oil is relative hard to find here, but probably a good idea for me :D  , will give it a try

Edited by MyKodiaq168

On 03/10/2018 at 06:50, MyKodiaq168 said:

I am the guy who intends to keep my Kodiaq for 10+ years,... 15 is even better... lol, not sure if it's a realistic idea though..

So, I feed him the best oil I can get form the market (it's a Vollsynthetisch oil made in Germany), https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmp-sae-5w-30.html

and change the oil every 7500 KM 

We do have 3 times free oil change service in Taiwan, the factory suggestion oil change interval is 15000 KM or 1 year, which comes first.

And I am also considering to change the DSG ATF oil on 30000 KM, which is half of what Skoda suggests in the manual.

Fortunately, after one and half year my Kodiaq is still working like perfectly, but only has one flaw: the headlights case getting "blur", and it's under Skoda warranty ..they replace it for free.

1.thumb.jpg.36dbaf83e96657caf7697a0f5b1dad57.jpg

After 6 months driving my kodiaq and noticed one day when I washed my car...what the hell is wrong with the headlights and that's it.... blurry from inside...its like a oily front glass or something. Barely ised my headlights...no night driving...Bloody cheap materials is used to build a kodiaq. My 2015 suoerb MKII never had these faults like a kodiaq has...so does your dealer change these lights for new one?

Edited by fuzzz

No night driving, so then sometimes a good idea to use dipped beam during daytime IMO.

These are maybe like some other car lights, caravan windows etc, you have to take care that some polishes and cleaners are not used on the exterior, it can affect them surprisingly on the interior.

10 minutes ago, Offski said:

No night driving, so then sometimes a good idea to use dipped beam during daytime IMO.

These are maybe like some other car lights, caravan windows etc, you have to take care that some polishes and cleaners are not used on the exterior, it can affect them surprisingly on the interior.

Hmmmm....used same chemicals for many years on different brand new cars...how can car wash harm headlights from inside...there is something else. One thing I've learned. Use less headlights on rainy day, specially headlights with lense not reflector...lense got pretty hot and moisture inside the headlight unit is burning and stuck on headlight lense. But one thing I thought is the badly sealed headlight unit and the cehmicals and chemical steam get inside the headlight. Probably the last one is true...damn skoda. Hope it's true that they will change the headlights by warranty. But still go to dealer make appoitment etc...time is money....

Your car and your loss if you leave it longer and things get worse and you never reported potential Warranty issues ASAP.

If your car is a keeper i would make the time to stop by a Dealership, let them have a Warranty Manager come look at it and take pictures, and you can also send pictures to the Manufacturers Warranty provider, so that will be who Imports Skoda to Estonia.

I mention the cleaners and the affects on plastic because it used to happen when Plastic Lights became common, and Double Glassed seal unit Plastic Caravan windows.

Not a Internet Myth.

Edited by Offski

8 minutes ago, Offski said:

Your car and your loss if you leave it longer and things get worse and you never reported potential Warranty issues ASAP.

If your car is a keeper i would make the time to stop by a Dealership, let them have a Warranty Manager come look at it and take pictures, and you can also send pictures to the Manufacturers Warranty provider, so that will be who Imports Skoda to Estonia.

I mention the cleaners and the affects on plastic because it used to happen when Plastic Lights became common, and Double Glassed seal unit Plastic Caravan windows.

Not a Internet Myth.

Yeah you probably right ...next week will inform the dealer and the importer and we'll see...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fuzzz said:

After 6 months driving my kodiaq and noticed one day when I washed my car...what the hell is wrong with the headlights and that's it.... blurry from inside...its like a oily front glass or something. Barely ised my headlights...no night driving...Bloody cheap materials is used to build a kodiaq. My 2015 suoerb MKII never had these faults like a kodiaq has...so does your dealer change these lights for new one?

It's under warranty and they replace it for new one for free. :)