Wheel and tyre question

Marchincus

Hi, I have changed my 19" for ATS 17" with 225/55x17 tyres. The difference at the speedo  is +1mph so 60 = 61 real, or if you go with 215 then it is -1mph so 60 is 59 real. see calculator of comparative tyre sizes. I have changed due harshness of ride with 19" and I have gone for Michelin Crossclimate so I am not changing year on year. Also the mich are quieter. Ride is softer but if your middle name is not Hamilton then the difference is not noticable! I used Crossclimates on my Yeti and they are very good on miles and overall wet performance is amazing.

51 minutes ago, agedbriar said:

Same thing if you opt for the basic trim, which comes with 17" alloys. You get:
215/55 R17 with 2x4
225/55 R17 with 4x4.

I think that the 225 mm wide sizes also fit the FWD models, but have no concrete evidence that it is so, except that my dealer used my old 225/50-18 wheels and tyres on a stock FWD model, which arrived with 16" wheels.

(Skoda Denmark were assigned some Karoq vehicles originally destined for Turkey, as the fall in the Turkish Lira made them unsalable in Turkey)

1 hour ago, Agerbundsen said:

I think that the 225 mm wide sizes also fit the FWD models

Very likely.

I think it's just a matter of adding some robustness to the 4x4 versions, together with oil-bathed clutch DSGs vs. dry.

• 1 month later...

I have a dilemma so I thought I should ask here for opinions and help. I have fitted new winter wheels on my factory Triton rims and went and bought MOMO Revenge wheels for the summer Hankooks.

My worry is that perhaps it could cause issues because the MOMO rims are 8J x 17 ET35 5x112 (factory size is 7J x 17 ET45). I should probably also mention that the tire size is 215/55 R17.

Visually the tires fit alright although the rims protrude by about half a centimeter on both inner and outer side. Its visible on the pictures. The green thingy is a spacer cause the MOMO is wider opening than the stock is 57.1mm wheel center hole.

My tire service where I bought the wheels said that there is no need for worries with this setup yet I am feeling uneasy the more I think about it.

What do you guys think?

IMG_20181110_151208.jpg

IMG_20181115_151932.jpg

IMG_20181115_152011.jpg

Edited by Kole

I see at last two, maybe three problems with those wheels:

1. The off-set is 10 mm less than the standard 45 mm - this means the wheel ccenter is 10 mm closer to the car.

2. The rim width is 1" more than standard for the tyre - bringing the rim  ½" (12.7 mm) closer to the car.

3. The use of a spacer to match the center locating hole is basically a bit of a worry. It looks like plastic, which will not stay dimensionally stable for very long.

Was kinda hoping you'd reply Agerbundsen :)  Thanks for your input!

The spacer is made out of plastic but they showed me that it is normal to use it for custom wheels since no one makes wheels for every center hole.

On willtheyfit site it shows that the wheels are protruding by 22.7 mm and closer to the inner strut by 2.7 mm.

link: https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=215&aspect=55&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7&offset=45&width2=215&aspect2=55&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=8&offset2=35

However, doing a calculation from oponeo's site - makes everything seem ok unless my count is somehow wrong. Link: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/wheel-width-and-et-offset-explained

I have contacted both Skoda and MOMO and are waiting for their response.

I think there is some confusion between different sites' description of positive and negative offset.  I think the "will they fit" site needs a minus sign in front of the 35 and 45 mm values, which give you a totally different picture: The rims are 22.5 mm closer to the strut, which, as I can see, means that they will hit the strut or get too close to them.

As I read it, negative offset means the wheel is closer to the strut than 0 offset, but none of the sites explaining this use the "-" sign.  Nor do the wheel manufacturers. I suppose the reason is that there  are very few wheels with a positive offset. If you look at the wheels, it should be obvious that the flange location is away from the center towards the outside of the car, and therefore the wheel sits closer to the strut than if it had "0" offset.

I also do not quite understand why you did not select the wheels with standard offset and 7J width. This is common on all VW MQB platform vehicles, so there must be a wide selection of wheel designs that fit.

The change in ET size is the biggest concern.

Tyre wise, 8" is a wee bit wide for a 215 tyre. My guide suggests 215 is the minimum size for an 8" wheel. But you have discovered this already.

Preferred tyre size on 8" wheel is 225 or 235, with a maximum of 245.

Why not just use identical size rims?

Yeah, entirely my fault. Should have stood my ground yet the winter season is here so they persuaded me that all will be ok and that this size is all good. Now I find out that such size is for Mercedes and Audi vehicles. When I negotiated with the seller I stated true factory size and when I got there he had 8J ET35s. My head is churning this whole week as I'm having second thoughts.

Also, the general rule is that all the rims have a positive offset by all manufacturers.

I am still waiting for the reply from Skoda and MOMO. I've seen some Borbet wheels for Karoq in 8J sizes although for ET it is 37. Both you and BoxerBoy have valid points.

Edited by Kole

On 03/09/2018 at 06:24, Agerbundsen said:

The 235/40/19 tyres have a rolling diameter of 671 mm.

Smaller wheels with 235 threads will not fit, as they get too close to the strut. (= bigger width at a smaller diameter)

Not quite true: 235/55 17 on 7.5" dia. ET45 fit nicely and ride comfortably even if not approved. GPS also matches my speedo.

Also gives me more clearance over snow as these are my winters. 

Edited by Jeeves

On 16/11/2018 at 11:12, Kole said:

Yeah, entirely my fault. Should have stood my ground yet the winter season is here so they persuaded me that all will be ok and that this size is all good. Now I find out that such size is for Mercedes and Audi vehicles. When I negotiated with the seller I stated true factory size and when I got there he had 8J ET35s. My head is churning this whole week as I'm having second thoughts.

Also, the general rule is that all the rims have a positive offset by all manufacturers.

I am still waiting for the reply from Skoda and MOMO. I've seen some Borbet wheels for Karoq in 8J sizes although for ET it is 37. Both you and BoxerBoy have valid points.

I sympathise with you as I've just cocked up with my 19" winter tyres, mainly my fault, but I did try to get some confirmation from the tyre dealer I used that they would fit my vehicle. When it came to it they caught the inner wheel arch linings on full lock. It's easy to get drawn in to a purchase, but it's a beggar when the dealer won't take them back! Hey ho, I'll try the Sticky Tree website and see if anyone's interested.

What size did you buy or was it the wheels that caused the problem due to a low offset?  I use 19s on a couple of cars so the tyres might fit one or the other.

On 18/11/2018 at 21:13, Jeeves said:

Not quite true: 235/55 17 on 7.5" dia. ET45 fit nicely and ride comfortably even if not approved. GPS also matches my speedo.

Also gives me more clearance over snow as these are my winters. 

The clearance to the strut may be OK for you, but is still considered too close for Skoda approval. The clearance I measured on my 225's is about 10 mm with the car standing still and wheels straight.  Reducing this by 5 mm did not seem prudent.

Long post ahead - have patience.

Just another input from me. Skoda sent me a reply:

Quote in full

"Dear Sir,

for Czech republic is this opinion - In case of an individual request for additional registration of other rims and tires combinations beyond the data in the technical certificate, Act 56/2001 Coll. does not exclude the use of the technical service's protocol. (for example, DEKRA CZ) In this case, ŠKODA AUTO is not responsible for the operation of this individually tailored vehicle.

Best regards

Petr Herrmann"

Meanwhile, no reply from MOMO even though I contacted multiple official email addresses listed on their sites. Contacted official importer of MOMO wheels - got a response that the wheels are safe and right for my type of vehicle. They advised their internal data before sending the rims to my tire service.

Contacted other major tire fitting company - got to talk with the main technician who assured me that everything is alright and that they install lots of 8J wheels on other customers Superbs, Octavias, and Kodiaqs. Some are apparently driving on those wheels for more than 2 years without any issues. As he said - the difference is only cosmetic and not impactful to either performance, safety or gas mileage. 

As a side note - if Skoda factory didn't charge ridiculously expensive prices for stock wheels - I wouldn't be forced to buy an alternative in the first place. However, MOMO is a reputable manufacturer which makes my choice even more satisfying now.

I hope that this information will help anyone else looking for the right type of non-factory wheels/rims for their Karoq.

So, the Czech response is : "Do what you like, but if not in our approved size, you are on your own."

The fit on other cars does not really tell you anything about the Karoq. At least, mount a front and a back wheell on the car, and see if you are happy withe the clearances to the strut and other parts.

They checked it already during fitting on the front axle - no clearance issues. Saw it when they tested. The only thing is that the wheel will now protrude more outwards a bit. The tire is factory stock 17 inch Hankook.

Will wait for spring to see myself how it looks and feels driving.

Regarding tire pressure for winter tires - should they stay in the range of 2.4~2.5 bars or go higher by 0.1 as I've read somewhere?

3 hours ago, Agerbundsen said:

The clearance to the strut may be OK for you, but is still considered too close for Skoda approval. The clearance I measured on my 225's is about 10 mm with the car standing still and wheels straight.  Reducing this by 5 mm did not seem prudent.

Was that at the same offset, as ET45 moves the wheel out by at least 5mm compared to the stock wheels on my Ateca?  I have enough room to feel round the tyre with my fingers, so at least to 10mm clearance otherwise my fingers would jam!

On the Karoq the only exception to ET45 is the 6J X 16, which is ET43 (and is snow chains compatible, btw).

That's according the Skoda Serienbereifung publication.

Edited by agedbriar

1 hour ago, agedbriar said:

On the Karoq the only exception to ET45 is the 6J X 16, which is ET43 (and is snow chains compatible, btw).

That's according the Skoda Serienbereifung publication.

.......and in the greater scheme of things, 2  mm difference is not of any significance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeeves said:

What size did you buy or was it the wheels that caused the problem due to a low offset?  I use 19s on a couple of cars so the tyres might fit one or the other.

The wheels are fine, being Kodiaq 19". The daft (and expensive) thing I did was to but 235/50/R19 as per the Kodiaq accessory pricing info instead of 225/45/R19 as per my original (diabolical) Bridgestones. The tyre/wheel combination just caught the wheel arch linings on full lock, so I took them off straight away, and had them taken off the wheels.

Why don't you offer them to Kodiaq owners first?  My oldest car has 2 sets of 19“ wheels and takes a compatible tyre size. If I was keeping it longer I might have been interested but I really need a lower profile 19 that can be used with those winter wheels on a SEAT.

I was lucky that the setup from an older car fitted my Ateca despite not being the approved size, but this Winter is their last fitting. There are advantages (and disadvantages) of conversion sizes, but understandably this limits your market, so try the known fitments (Kodiaq and similar largish VAG SUVs) first. Another forum springs to mind. ;)

Edited by Jeeves

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just checked with Skoda UK and my order for a 2.0TDI 4x4 DSG Edition is on its way to Emden. I have a set of Skoda 16” steel wheels (PN 3C0601027CC03C) with Winter tyres on my Yeti, has anybody used these on their Karoq or does the Karoq require steel wheels with a different Part number?

• 1 year later...