Coding new led bulbs

Taz3611

Anyone recommend the cheapest way to get around using led bulbs without upsetting the Canbus? I replaced license plate bulbs with led versions. Now error message showing every time I turn lights on. Replacement sidelight bulbs didn’t trigger a warning. Cheaper to take to vehicle electrian, buy device or go to dealer? 

Yeti is 1.2, 63 pre-FL. 

I also have led DRL bulbs on order so if they play up, may need to do the same with these.

Advice please

17 minutes ago, Parkesie said:

Buy can compatible led bulbs

Bulbs don't connect to the CAN-bus. So called 'CAN friendly' ones just have resistors to try and fool the bulb monitoring circuitry. In cheap or poorly designed versions, the resistor can overheat and damage the bulb, bulb holder and even the light cluster. It's better to buy quality bulbs without the resistor and have the car coded to accept them.

7 hours ago, Taz3611 said:

Cheaper to take to vehicle electrian, buy device or go to dealer? 

A dealer probably won't know how to remove the bulb warning. An auto electrician might but are more likely to fix load resistors.

Licence plate bulbs can normally be done with VCDS, DRL will need VCP or ODIS-e. You're not particularly far away so if you want me to take a look, just drop me a PM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, langers2k said:

Bulbs don't connect to the CAN-bus. So called 'CAN friendly' ones just have resistors to try and fool the bulb monitoring circuitry. In cheap or poorly designed versions, the resistor can overheat and damage the bulb, bulb holder and even the light cluster. It's better to buy quality bulbs without the resistor and have the car coded to accept them.

A dealer probably won't know how to remove the bulb warning. An auto electrician might but are more likely to fix load resistors.

Licence plate bulbs can normally be done with VCDS, DRL will need VCP or ODIS-e. You're not particularly far away so if you want me to take a look, just drop me a PM.

I’ve got some DRL’s on order. I’ll see how they behave then give you a shout maybe. BTW, the number plate ones were from Halfords, not cheap Chinese crap. 

32 minutes ago, Taz3611 said:

I’ve got some DRL’s on order. I’ll see how they behave then give you a shout maybe. BTW, the number plate ones were from Halfords, not cheap Chinese crap.  

I replaced the interior bulbs with expensive LEDs from Halfrauds and finished up taking them back, they kept blowing the fuse.
I only purchase Osram or Philips now.

I've just fitted a set of H8 "canbus friendly" led fog lights to my SEAT (to match the full led headlights).

Despite being advertised as "canbus friendly" they put on the bulb-out warning in the Yeti.

I've tried numerous "canbus friendly" alternatives, but am yet to find any compatible with my 2014 FL Yeti.

I did try resistors (which worked), but these run very hot and I uninstalled them, given fears of melting something vital behind the bumper.

Do let me know if you find any that work, as I've replaced all the interior bulbs (with LED's) and am keen to complete the job!

Edited by pinkpanther

@pinkpanther for my fogs I used Chinese clones of the Philips X-treme vision LED fog lights, something like these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-new-LED-fog-6000K-H8-H11-H16-LED-fog-valve-X-treme-Ultinon/32611184356.html

As expected, they caused a bulb out warning so I coded the car for LED fogs, job done and no issues since.

• 1 year later...
On 09/09/2018 at 16:41, langers2k said:

@pinkpanther for my fogs I used Chinese clones of the Philips X-treme vision LED fog lights, something like these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-new-LED-fog-6000K-H8-H11-H16-LED-fog-valve-X-treme-Ultinon/32611184356.html

As expected, they caused a bulb out warning so I coded the car for LED fogs, job done and no issues since.

Hi 

I bought LED replacements for the brake, indicator and head halogens too reduce the load on the battery especially when engine not running.  They tend to drain the battery quickly.  But they they don't come on.  It works with one in only but send the computer funny with various lights reported as not working when the build clearly does.

What to do??  Amazon won't process a return now. 

You mentioned about coding ??   How?

2007 Octavia estate - Scout

10 minutes ago, Volant said:

I bought LED replacements for the brake, indicator and head halogens too reduce the load on the battery especially when engine not running.  They tend to drain the battery quickly.  But they they don't come on.  It works with one in only but send the computer funny with various lights reported as not working when the build clearly does.

What to do??  Amazon won't process a return now. 

You mentioned about coding ??   How?

2007 Octavia estate - Scout

The coding changes are only for MK2 Octavia's with a BCM rather than CECM+CCM so they are unlikely to apply on a 2007 car.

You can probably fit load resistors but that removes any energy saving benefits.

For the headlight bulbs, I'd stick to the original halogen bulbs as they'll likely give better performance than the LED version :)

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

The coding changes are only for MK2 Octavia's with a BCM rather than CECM+CCM so they are unlikely to apply on a 2007 car.

You can probably fit load resistors but that removes any energy saving benefits.

For the headlight bulbs, I'd stick to the original halogen bulbs as they'll likely give better performance than the LED version :)

Thanks for the quick reply.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/09/2018 at 16:41, langers2k said:

How do you code a car for LEDs??  Skoda offer any help besides buy halogens.

3 minutes ago, Volant said:

How do you code a car for LEDs??  Skoda offer any help besides buy halogens.

You need to use ODIS-e or VCP to directly edit sections of the BCM EEPROM. VCDS cannot do this.

However, as I mentioned previously:

On 04/05/2020 at 12:46, langers2k said: