Shielding Keyless Keys

MattEds

Having heard some scare stories about theft of KESSY equipped vehicles I have invested in some shielding bags for when not in use. These are a bit of a faff though, remembering to put them in there and digging them out as required. Does anyone have any clever tips or ideas for shielding the signal in a slightly simpler way?

The main thing is to shield the key when at home.  Like so many others, I’ve always popped my keys into a drawer in the hall table (not ON the hall table, as that means they can be “fished” through the letterbox!).

Now that I have Kessy, I’ve placed a little hinge-lidded metal tin in the drawer, and pop the keys in there. Quick and easy.

Whatever you use for shielding, try it out by holding the shielded key near the car. If the car will still open, the shielding isn’t working!  I mention that because I originally bought one of the flexible shielding pouches on eBay, and mine didn’t work AT ALL.  It made absolutely no difference to the effective range and my mobile phone, enclosed in the pouch, worked just fine.  I know that some such bags genuinely work, but clearly there are bogus ones around ...

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry unless you also have a Golf R or Audi RS3 on the drive.

If they want your call they'll get it, the harder you make it the more violent they'll be when they get in through the front door.

Despite what we all know, Skoda is still well down the desirability list, long may it continue.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I wouldn't worry unless you also have a Golf R or Audi RS3 on the drive.

Despite what we all know, Skoda is still well down the desirability list, long may it continue.

Mmmm.  As I've probably mentioned here before, I've managed so far to keep hold of three Mercedes-Benzes, 5 Volvos, an Audi and three Saabs, but the one car I did have stolen was a 5-year-old Ford.  And that was a planned attack, not just joy-riders!  My key is staying in its tin!

We keep all of the KESSY fobs (4 of them, including spares) in a copper clad lidded biscuit tin. I've tested it by pulling the door handles with the tin right next to the car - nothing. The only thing is my neighbours probably think I'm a bit mad.......

It's a thumbs down for the so called 'RFID shield/Faraday cage' type pouches you can get on Amazon, ebay etc. The ones I got were a total waste of time. 

Dealer today told me there's no point in trying to protect your keys, if someone wants the car they're getting the car. He even said "we've got 50 cars here with keyless entry, and the keys all 10 yards away in the office, and nobody has ever stolen one". 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jamie82 said:

Dealer today told me there's no point in trying to protect your keys, if someone wants the car they're getting the car. He even said "we've got 50 cars here with keyless entry, and the keys all 10 yards away in the office, and nobody has ever stolen one". 

You have an illogical dealer.  

OK, so shielding a key won’t stop very clever person A. But what about all the other potential thieves who aren’t person A?

No-one has stolen those 50 cars. OK, in fact there are many thousands of cars that no-one has stolen. Therefore all cars haven’t been stolen?  I don’t think so!

The thieves are too busy stealing high-end and highly desirable cars. Ones that are to be used in further crime, and therefore equipped to outrun the Police, or ones that are stolen to order to either strip down and sell on or to smuggle out of the country.

Given most car dealerships share the same trading estate then BMW, Mercedes, Audi and even VW showrooms will be targeted before Skoda's security guard gets woken up.

If you look at the majority of the CCTV footage online and in the media, those that are determined enough to break into an occupied house only do so if the rewards are high. As much as I love my Skoda their parts aren't in demand and they aren't the preferred option for a Police pursuit.

Sleep easy guys, lead-lined biscuit tin or not.

I'm honestly curious about this... are you worried about your key being cloned or someone able to unlock/start/drive your Kodiaq because the key is close enough to the car?

In my experience being even standing behind my wife (I have the key in my pocket) she can't unlock/open the car.  This morning I opened the car keylessly, dropped the key in the door pocket, hadn't closed the door & it told me it wouldn't start as the key wasn't there.  Closed the door & it did.

As I said, just curious.

15 hours ago, Kenny R said:

There is a good explanation of “relay theft” here. 

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/news-and-current-affairs/relay-theft-how-to-protect-your-car

Obviouslly high tech car theft hasn’t reached down under yet :)

I see... didn't realise there were two parts to the thievery... 

Not keeping the keys anywhere near the car nor the external doors to the house as I do now will be good enough for me I reckon...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/09/2018 at 19:40, StewartM said:

Press the lock button on the key, then within 5 seconds, press the lock button on the door handle.

Capture.PNG

So, the solution is to do the above when at service stations, or going to stay near the car for whatever reason, and biscuit tin when at home. Perfect. Thanks guys.

I tried the above Key Deactivation trick today. It didn’t work. Not that I’ve ever considered deactivating my KESSY as it’s one of the best features on the car (refer to Audi, Mercedes et al for how to deliver half a job).

Have also tested the coffe tin key guard trick - that works fine of course.

Just now, BoxerBoy said:

I tried the above Key Deactivation trick today. It didn’t work. Not that I’ve ever considered deactivating my KESSY as it’s one of the best features on the car (refer to Audi, Mercedes et al for how to deliver half a job).

Tin in the house is fine, I'm ok with that. My issue is while I am at work, or at the petrol station, for eg. Theoretically, someone cod be behind me in the queue with a transmitter sending my key signal to his mate next to my car with a receiver. Before I've got my Nectar card out, my car could be gone! I know it's extreme, but those that want to, will go to those extremes. Also, the OP have the exams of being duped to come out if your car, but not far away enough to disarm the KEYSS. The above trick would have been ideal for me in those 'temp' situations. 

39 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

It's either faulty or you didn't do it right :D

Or, the description in the manual is wrong. I'd go and test mine but it's 22:45 and time for bed!