Retrofitting Electric Folding Mirrors

Hi all

I want to retrofit electric folding mirrors to my mk3 facelift. I had these on my last car, an A3 as I specified them from new. The car before that was also an A3 and I had them retrofitted to this.

Has anyone had it done? I've done some searching on here and there's a fair amount of talk about it but little in the way of people actually getting it done.

From my experience with getting it on the A3 I will need the folding mirror bases, the door switch and potentially some different electric door modules that can handle the folding function. Obviously it will need to be  coded via VCDS too which i'm sure I can do myself.

Has anyone had it done, either by themselves or my a someone else (a professional)?

I'd be interested in part numbers needed.

Thanks 

• Like 1

If anyone who has factory fitted electric folding mirrors (powerfold) is willing to call a Skoda parts department and ask for the parts needed to replace there entire wing mirror on both sides, that would be great!! Just say that some jealous type has smashed both sides and they both need replacing :biggrin:.

I will worry about the switch part number myself

Thanks

The vRS should have the correct door modules so you’ll need the powered mirrors, the switch and then the coding. It’s on my list of retrofits still to do, but waiting until I have more spare cash. I don’t have the part numbers handy, but the folding mirrors also has auto dimming glass so be aware the cost of these new is a lot because of this. Having experienced one of these failing on my Mercedes I would be tempted not to sell my old mirror glass in case one of the auto dimming ones broke! 

Good to hear that others are looking to do this mod as well. Hopefully we'll all have enough information needed to get the job done!

If you are able to share those part numbers, that would be excellent. I'll either try and find them on eBay or buy them new from TPS.

Yes, the dimming glass mirror is expensive and i'm glad you pointed that the folding mirror comes with the dimming glass. I know that the Octy SE L model has folding mirrors standard so wondered if they'd be dimming as well? 

1 minute ago, brettikivi said:

did you go check out what 7zap has to say on part numbers?

- Bret

It gives you the part number to an extent but it's the final letter that we aren't sure of as there are lots of versions of the same part (some with and some without electric folding)

check the relevant PR codes. It's eiither 6XK or 6XL in the >2013 model. 

Depending on your precise timing - when was the car registered? - and the specifics of the PR codes.... 6XK is without memory. I'd expect 5E2 857  507 AB and 508 AB to be correct. But you need to crossreference your car's build date and spec.

€360 seems to be a price for one. 

5E2 = RHD
5E1 = LHD.

- Bret

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ian-b said:

That'll be the mirror downlight boarding light. Mine lights up when I lock/unlock the car.

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-original-Skoda-mirror-downlight-boarding-light-LEFT

Do you have electric folding mirrors too then?

Thanks for your help

58 minutes ago, MeteorvRS said:

Do you have electric folding mirrors too then?

Yep fitted as standard so I don't have to do any mods (thankfully!). The puddle lights look pretty cool but I don't think they serve much purpose when stationary B)

i think Sasha was saying that the connectors in the door are already there? so the control switch and would be just a matter to connect them up and do some VCDS work? would it be that simple?

Edited by JohnnyType2

Sorry, I thought when you said loom that there was extra cabling.

I'm hoping it's just the 2 elec folding bases and door control switch that's needed. Then a bit of coding.

Does the £400 include the entire wing mirror so glass and casing etc?

When squeezing my wheelie bins past the car, manually folding them is quite easy. I remember the days of non folding wing mirrors. I rarely used the power folding mirrors on my Mk 2 and they were ott expensive after an insurance claim.

First world problems eh?

9 minutes ago, MeteorvRS said:

Sorry, I thought when you said loom that there was extra cabling.

I'm hoping it's just the 2 elec folding bases and door control switch that's needed. Then a bit of coding.

Does the £400 include the entire wing mirror so glass and casing etc?

yes it was the full mirrors without the switch off a 2016 vRS had a frontal smash

1 minute ago, JohnnyType2 said:

yes it was the full mirrors without the switch off a 2016 vRS had a frontal smash

That's not too bad as you will effectively have a pair of non elec folding mirrors to sell afterwards. They must be worth £100 minimum for the pair?

• Like 1