Towbar coding

spk

Hi,

My Skoda Superb estate came with an after-market witter towbar installed. It seems like this isn’t coded in. It’s not a big issue as I only carry a bike rack so probably never more than 30-40kg but it is annoying with parking sensors and I’d like to get it sorted.

i assume this is an option that needs to be added with VCDS (and only VCDS)?

cheers,

steve

^ as above. You need the dedicated electrics for the coding to work. It adds more than just de-activation of parking sensors such as extending the alarm function and stability control. It can be retro fitted but the expense may not be worth it. 

2 minutes ago, CWARD said:

It can be retro fitted but the expense may not be worth it

Is there any extras that you'd need if you want to install the genuine tow-bar electrics depending on whether or not the car came with the factory tow-bar preparation or not? I've found several used or even new factory Skoda wiring kits and the central module, but they all state that they're for the factory-prep cars ... what is still missing? On my previous C5, I've obtained the genuine tow-bar kit, installed it by myself, coded it by myself, and it worked (even though there was no factory preparation or whatever) ...

17 minutes ago, langers2k said:

If it's aftermarket, it's probably a relay box.

If so, it won't be on the CAN-bus so it's not possible to code in.

A lot of the better aftermarket kits have a control module that functions the same way the OE Hella one does so the same coding applies to the other vehicle systems.

The main difference is that the towing module itself is not diagnostic caoable.

18 minutes ago, vborovic said:

Is there any extras that you'd need if you want to install the genuine tow-bar electrics depending on whether or not the car came with the factory tow-bar preparation or not? I've found several used or even new factory Skoda wiring kits and the central module, but they all state that they're for the factory-prep cars ... what is still missing? On my previous C5, I've obtained the genuine tow-bar kit, installed it by myself, coded it by myself, and it worked (even though there was no factory preparation or whatever) ...

Factory prep means the cabling from the dash down to the boot is fitted at the factory and the additional harness is much smaller and easier to fit.

As Chimaera said. Factory prep is from the canbus and fuse box to the boot, which is were all the real work is in fitting it. The wiring for prepared cars goes from the 13 pin plug and connects into the module in the boot. 

You can get the dedicated wiring from PF Jones for around £175. If you can’t fit it yourself, which involves removing very small wires from the canbus and fitting others as well as connecting into the fuse box, then you’ll be talking around £150 to fit too. 

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/skoda-superb-estate-dec-2009-2015-westfalia-detachable-towbar.html

Edited by CWARD

Thanks for all the quick responses.

2 hours ago, chimaera said:

A lot of the better aftermarket kits have a control module that functions the same way the OE Hella one does so the same coding applies to the other vehicle systems.

The main difference is that the towing module itself is not diagnostic caoable.

I am sure that Witter have offered full after market kits so it would function as per OE - presumably with the diags mentioned. I hadn’t really considered that there’d be an option to not install the electrics, mostly wanted to check there was no simple phone app + ODBII reader option to enable the coding (wishful thinking).

i think as I don’t know what was actually installed the simplest option might be to simply try enabling the code and see what happens?

cheers,

Steve

Might be worth having a look to try and find what has been fitted in the boot area.

Otherwise, VCDS or similar should show if module 69 (towbar) is present. If it isn't and there if no fault in the CAN gateway showing it's not registered, I doubt it's a proper kit.