DTUK TCU box for DSG cars WOW

2 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

With engine remaps you need to understand who the remap is being approved by.

Most OEMs dont "approve" remapping the ECU, with the exception of some special editions (like the Montune updates Ford sometimes offer for the ST or RS).

If you buy a remap from an official dealership the warrenty of the remap should be offered by the dealership (not the OEM) so they should rectify any problems even if they are caused because of the remap.

Probably they will try to claim from the OEM first but if they say no, at least your dealer should foot the bill.

If you bought an remap from a third-party company & then blow a turbo or head-gasket the warrenty path becomes difficult if the OEM is able to detect the remap & refuses the work under-warrenty.

Couldn't care less about my warranty because I am fastidious with checking oil levels and not booting my car from cold just like the extra performance for safe overtaking when needed. Mountune upgrade on latest Focus RS is very mild taking it from 345 to 370bhp to retain your warranty. However go to a decent remapper and 395 to 400bhp is more realistic from this engine. Never had a single problem with 6 cars I have had mapped, it's all about care, attention to detail and using the right company with plenty of experience in this field. There is a chap in the UK that spent £27,000 buying a new Ford Focus RS in 2011 with around 300bhp (front wheel drive) and has since spent another £73,000 turning it into an insane 671bhp weapon. The deeper your pockets the more potential any engine can deliver. 723bhp in a Yeti for example.:clap:

17 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

The TCU shift very quickly with far less slippage than before in every gear, @Newport91 & @Robsskoda can comment on from last night's meet

Cheers, sounds good. My brother has just ordered one for his T6 Ranger, they apparently are notoriously hard to tune. I'll see how that goes before biting the bullet.

19 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

The TCU shift very quickly with far less slippage than before in every gear, @Newport91 & @Robsskoda can comment on from last night's meet

Yes, 

Made quite a considerable difference. I am tempted to invest at some point. I would just be interested to learn of any long term reliability issues etc before taking the plunge...

• 1 month later...

glad to hear youre happy with the TCU Tony :) - finally getting my act together and getting back amongst it on here :) 

theres currently 10% discount available online via the Black Friday code BLACK10

Edited by Andrew@DTUK

4 minutes ago, BlockABoots said:

So there not recommended over your owning the vehicle yourself and getting a proper remap?

A proper custom remap is always better and will give no reliability issues in my experience with 6 vehicles over the last 24 years. My current has gone from 248bhp to stage 1 remap 302bhp and now 336bhp stage 2 yet fuel consumption has improved from 37mpg standard to over 40mpg even now with 39% more power and 40% more torque because it is now more effcient then when it left the factory. To demonstrate my average speed used to be 37mph but is now 40mph for the same 26mile commute so I am driving more quickly than before yet using less fuel. Tuning boxes seem to result in higher fuel consumption from what I have seen posted on here.:dull:

2 hours ago, BlockABoots said:

So there not recommended over your owning the vehicle yourself and getting a proper remap?

If its your own car then its your own choice. I've previously had stage1 remaps done on VAG Group stuff (Leon Cupra 20VT) and it transformed the car so I more than know whats possible with 2 generations ago petrol turbo VW Group engines. I'm in a position with my car now that I don't own it and never will. A tuning box is still a step too far in my opinion and will always be detectable despite what others claim. I'd love to kid myself it wasn't I'd simply love to have that option but for me its still owned by the finance arm of VW Group i.e. VWFS and 100% standard mine will stay. Certainly sticking info like this on a public forum doesn't seem a clever thing to do on this either LOL

The tuning box gives those willing to do it an option that a direct ECU remap does not. (i.e. highlevel invisibility to standard servicing diagnostic equipment for routine stuff). I looked at the DTUK site yesterday but thats as far as I'm going sadly.

As always its an individual's choice and only that person can decide what they think is best :)

Edited by Scotty72
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BlockABoots said:

So what are the advantages of disadvantages of getting something like this an a proper remap?

You do know this thread is about TCU box for DSG, don't you?

It looks like you are talking about ECU remap...

Thanks 

6 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

A proper custom remap is always better and will give no reliability issues in my experience with 6 vehicles over the last 24 years. My current has gone from 248bhp to stage 1 remap 302bhp and now 336bhp stage 2 yet fuel consumption has improved from 37mpg standard to over 40mpg even now with 39% more power and 40% more torque because it is now more effcient then when it left the factory. To demonstrate my average speed used to be 37mph but is now 40mph for the same 26mile commute so I am driving more quickly than before yet using less fuel. Tuning boxes seem to result in higher fuel consumption from what I have seen posted on here.:dull:

Yeah thats was though about the boxes but shocked at the increase efficiency!!

Any experience how how much i could expect my insurance to go up if i got a remap to say 275-280bhp???

Edited by BlockABoots

12 minutes ago, BlockABoots said:

Thanks 

Yeah thats was though about the boxes but shocked at the increase efficiency!!

Any experience how how much i could expect my insurance to go up if i got a remap to say 275-280bhp???

Depends on your age, how many years no claims you have and how long you have ben driving. Passed my test nearly 36 years ago and thirteen years no claims. Also your POSTCODE can be a major factor as well is the vehicle garaged at night or left on the street.:cool:

48 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Depends on your age, how many years no claims you have and how long you have ben driving. Passed my test nearly 36 years ago and thirteen years no claims. Also your POSTCODE can be a major factor as well is the vehicle garaged at night or left on the street.:cool:

Yeah i understand that but if its going to jump up £100 then im not going to be doing it

21 minutes ago, BlockABoots said:

Yeah i understand that but if its going to jump up £100 then im not going to be doing it

If your insurance does rise and you have the money to spend, £100 is really worth it. I had mine mapped 1 year ago and it's been brilliant and has completely transformed the car's performance with no noticeable detriment to economy. 

No trace DSG tune...........really? I'd love to know more because I'm pretty sure you are changing the code checksum when you do the upload to the DSG ECU.

This should be the same DTUK that state their tuning boxes don't leave any trace on the engine, yet it (along with most other tuning boxes) leaves evidence in the form of out of band readings for boost, fuel etc. It leaves some pretty obvious footprints........

10 hours ago, wardth said:

It leaves some pretty obvious footprints........

That cost something in excess of a thousand pounds to fully analyse,  yeah they're gonna do that all the time aren't they.

If you want warranty on a tuned car what else would you recommend? 

8 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

That cost something in excess of a thousand pounds to fully analyse,  yeah they're gonna do that all the time aren't they.

Ford Mountune NEW cars all come with 3 year FORD warranty, if you can put up with the cheap and cheerful interiors. Alternatively if your loaded like Tim Burton (SHMEE150) you could change everything on your £35,000 Focus RS. Had a bit of fun with a White Tesla on the way home yesterday. He must have been low on range (electric).:evilgrin:

On 23/11/2018 at 07:24, themanwithnoaim said:

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much to run a scan of the vehicle sensor logs. If you've trashed a £6k engine then it's always a possibility. A box isn't really a warranty avoidance device, just a little less obvious 

20 minutes ago, stever750 said:

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much to run a scan of the vehicle sensor logs. If you've trashed a £6k engine then it's always a possibility. A box isn't really a warranty avoidance device, just a little less obvious 

But, it's not just a scan is it?

You've gotta analyse that scan data, you don't think the computer can just work it out on their own, do you?

It's not hard to find outside normal parameter data! It's not like you'd do a manual scan of a printout, it's pretty straightforward to analyse, just takes a bit of time to process it. Been doing similar exercises at work looking at engine manufacturing data with one if the UK engine plants.