S3 280 or Kia Stinger GTS ?

dunc69

30 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Having spent a lazy afternoon watching YouTube, I have decided red on cream is the correct colour combo for this car!

Not often I agree with you @shyVRS245!! ;-)

Decision made. Need a change from Skoda and a S3 280 would just feel too much like my vRS - and I had a Mk 2 vRS before this one!

Thanks to all of you guys for your thoughts & opinions, much appreciated.  

All I now need is the cash.....! 

Good luck with whatever you choose glad we could agree about something at least.:inlove:

35 minutes ago, Offski said:

Asking prices and prices people can buy them for should be lower by Christmas or before 2019 with the 2017 cars sitting & not selling.

Agreed, have had the vRS for 18 months, so not in a huge rush. Will watch the market with interest. Just nice to have decided on what’s next. 

Need to upgrade the Citigo first to a decent, quicker, 2nd car for us. Then Mrs Dunc will feel no need to borrow my car. 

The Citigo is brilliant but the Mrs wants something a bit quicker, hence her repeated ‘borrowing’ of the vRS. 

I’m thinking Golf 1.4 TSI ACT c. 2014/15 for her first. Then Stinger for me. 

Plans eh!! 

Thanks all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Agreed, have had the vRS for 18 months, so not in a huge rush. Will watch the market with interest. Just nice to have decided on what’s next. 

Need to upgrade the Citigo first to a decent, quicker, 2nd car for us. Then Mrs Dunc will feel no need to borrow my car. 

The Citigo is brilliant but the Mrs wants something a bit quicker, hence her repeated ‘borrowing’ of the vRS. 

I’m thinking Golf 1.4 TSI ACT c. 2014/15 for her first. Then Stinger for me. 

Plans eh!! 

Thanks all. 

That was my plan when bought SWMBO a 148bhp Karoq to replace her (slow) 104bhp Rapid. But she still borrows my VRS. Plan failed.:notme:

56 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

That was my plan when bought SWMBO a 148bhp Karoq to replace her (slow) 104bhp Rapid. But she still borrows my VRS. Plan failed.:notme:

Ah, tricky!!

I think Mrs Dunc might find a Stinger a touch intimidating, especially if I start taking about the 365 bhp and RWD, and then my love for the 19” alloys.....  Mrs Dunc loves a kerb, as is well documented on here!

3 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Ah, tricky!!

I think Mrs Dunc might find a Stinger a touch intimidating, especially if I start taking about the 365 bhp and RWD, and then my love for the 19” alloys.....  Mrs Dunc loves a kerb, as is well documented on here!

She's not unique in her attraction for 6" high static concrete.:dull:

Fiesta Ecoboost 125ps Zetec S. Absolute brilliant car and the chassis more than makes up for the lack of bhp.    You can get  Mountune, warranty friendly fettling if you fancy remapping to ST levels of performance but it's a fun and really gutsy little car in standard form IME. 

• 2 months later...

I've recently had a test drive in a Stinger GT. Have to say, it's a very good car. I'm looking around for something interesting to drive, reasonably nippy, but quiet and comfortable enough for big miles road trips. Driving wise, it reminded me of the Mercedes C63. Calm but reasonably quick steering and a similarly malleable rear end. Ride and noise levels are good, interior roomy and very comfortable. Performance is more than adequate and more muscular that it's 5.1 s 0-60 suggests. Downsides for me where the autonomic gearbox can't be locked into fully manual control and a 6,000 mile service interval. It's not agile enough for my tastes though, I'm looking for something more focused.

It's a good car and IMO something in a different sector to the Superb. Given the price and the deals available, it's a really good buy. 

2 minutes ago, Chris GB said:

I've recently had a test drive in a Stinger GT. Have to say, it's a very good car. I'm looking around for something interesting to drive, reasonably nippy, but quiet and comfortable enough for big miles road trips. Driving wise, it reminded me of the Mercedes C63. Calm but reasonably quick steering and a similarly malleable rear end. Ride and noise levels are good, interior roomy and very comfortable. Performance is more than adequate and more muscular that it's 5.1 s 0-60 suggests. Downsides for me where the autonomic gearbox can't be locked into fully manual control and a 6,000 mile service interval. It's not agile enough for my tastes though, I'm looking for something more focused.

It's a good car and IMO something in a different sector to the Superb. Given the price and the deals available, it's a really good buy. 

18.5/19 model has software changes to allow fully manual mode (they have listened to customers)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

18.5/19 model has software changes to allow fully manual mode (they have listened to customers)

Interesting to know, makes it more desirable, I wonder if it can be flashed to earlier cars?

Good that the OP has decided on the stinger. I was considering the Stinger gts too but alas, nothing was in my budget. If one can stretch the money and live with less space, don't need 4x4,  the stinger is the better overall car in my books. 

• 9 months later...

Glad you're happy with the car @dunc69, I remember being excited for you when you posted you were getting one.  Very nice indeed. 

Every time I see a Stinger GTS I kick myself for not hanging around to be able to test drive one before ordering the 280.  I'm more than happy with the 280 but the Stinger just seems to be that little more exciting.  The interior also seemed to be better than the Superb, from what I can recall about sitting in one. 

I hope Kia don't discontinue the model as it's defo one I'd consider next along with an Hyundai N offering.  Volvo Polestar models are now well out of my price range!

Thanks guys, and appreciated @penguin17

I thought the colour might suit you too! 

As discussed a lot above, I was very tempted by the 280 Sportline. I think they look awesome and the 4WD appeals. As does the huge space.  

But the Stinger has other qualities. 

It certainly feels an event every time I turn on the V6. It is so smooth, and the upgraded 2019 exhaust sounds amazing.  Bouncing off the walls of the narrow streets in my village, the tunes really make me smile.  

In fact I have the sound actuator completely turned off, so good does it sound on its own. 

The power and particularly the huge torque is addictive, especially so in Sport (365 bhp, 376 lb ft).

Finally the toys - it has everything you could imagine!  Finding a Superb (or S5 Sportback or Arteon) with as much kit was verging on the impossible. 

The heated seats in the rear are great for the kids, and they are heated and ventilated up front.  Heated wheel too. 

Also new for 2019 is a manual override that will stay in auto once selected (in Sport and Sport +) and an enhanced head-up display. 

The 720W Harmon / Kardon is just amazing too!

With the 7 year warranty, I would recommend  looking at a 2-3 year old one soon. 

That could be an incredible bargain. 

5D4783D4-EEF4-46FE-B213-6759ADBD39FD.jpeg

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 2