Dtuk (again, sorry guys)

Hi all. I've been scouring the forums and obsessively reading bit would like to put it out there for some real life experiences with the box 

I'm looking at putting a crd3 on the Octy. It's a 2016 vrs TDI.

Now I've read great things, I've read negative things, particularly about the box causing them issues and limp mode issues.

So I'm putting it out there for some honest ownership opinions, is it worth it or wait a while longer and go for a full remap ?

Remap will always be better, imo. I have a TSI but a real map seems to make the car a lot smoother, box done a job but could be a bit rough, and idle seemed off somehow. 

Believe issues with warning lights usually come from people selecting too aggressive a map and blaming the box, when clicking a few buttons on the box would've resolved it.

• Thanks 1

I've got a crd3 box in my car and I've never had any problems with it.

There were three main reasons why I chose to get it over a remap. The first being you can remove it and there's no evidence it's been there. Touch the ECU and Skoda can detect it's been fiddled with, even if you restore it back to default.

The second reason was you're able to tweak the crd3 which it's 3 maps and 7 settings on each. If you think having it on the maximum setting is too aggressive, you're able to tone it down.

The third and final reason is you're able to combine it with the pedal box. Again, 3 maps with 7 settings to make your car go how you want it to go. For normal driving, my pedal is toned down so if I want to get some oomph, I've got to push the pedal further. Then if I'm going for a more sporty drive, the setting gets tweaked and full throttle is that bit easier to get to.

• Thanks 1

same here no issues at all, still smokin' 520d/530d's, had a dude in a 530d Msport actually egg me on for a race off the line today, 10 secs and he was in my rear view mirror.

the DSG can actually handle more torque than the manual, i have the manual.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

same here no issues at all, still smokin' 530ds, had a dude in a 530d Msport actually egg me on for a race off the line today, 10 secs and he was in my rear view mirror.

You've got a CRD3 and had no issues except finding new Beemers to embarrass? I know what I'm getting with my next pay packet!

There is always the alternative; a JB4. The DTUK and other similar boxes don’t have any control over the Air/Fuel Ratio. The JB4 has this facility and also it is much more advanced and can control more parameters because it has an ODBC connection, which the DTUK and others do not. Those “in the know” go JB4.......... oh and while you are at it, add up the cost of the DTUK box, pedal box and DSG Flash; not much change out of £900. Now while using a box as opposed to a map will reduce the likelihood of being found out by the dealer in the event of a warranty issue, I have serious questions over the validity of “flashing” your gearbox if the vehicle is still under warranty. Dealers are not dumb and the box ECU has a checksum too and and changes to it would be visible on a detailed diagnostic should you be claiming for an issue....... I’ve not got any axe to grind with DTUK or similar, just be aware of the alternatives and risks with ALL alterations to the vehicle if it’s warrantied.....

Edited by wardth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Saints92 said:

Remap will always be better, imo. I have a TSI but a real map seems to make the car a lot smoother, box done a job but could be a bit rough, and idle seemed off somehow. 

Believe issues with warning lights usually come from people selecting too aggressive a map and blaming the box, when clicking a few buttons on the box would've resolved it.

Agree totally with the above had six cars with custom remap and not a single problem and always drive smoother than from the factory with more power and toeque everywhere. Current car has 126bhp at 2,000revs compared to 110bhp at same revs when standard.:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

same here no issues at all, still smokin' 530ds, had a dude in a 530d Msport actually egg me on for a race off the line today, 10 secs and he was in my rear view mirror.

After 10 seconds I'm doing about 90mph.:D

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

i get to about 80ish, 80-120 is quick, then i tail off to 145-150 (private road of course :notme:). 

Followed VW Passat 4WD 2.0Twin Turbo Diesel (237bhp/500NM I think) up a sliproad onto the M1 and he probably out drags most things and seeing my VRS in his rear view mirror boots it hard (probably thought mine was the 181bhp diesel. But surprised shooting easily past him in 3rd gear before nearly banging into the limiter at 105mph (still in 3rd and still on the slip road).:D

Been told when my car goes stage 2 in less than 3 weeks it will keep up with a Lambo Gallardo (493bhp) between 60-120mph (100-200kph) in 4th gear. That's 8 seconds flat. Time yourself in your diesel to see how fast that is (DSG or manual won't matter).:D

you will need a new bucket and deeper wallet to carry all that 99 ron to it. :o

i do 100 miles a day so a mapped TSI would be daft, if it was just a weekend warrior then yes all day everyday.

for a diesel just get the CRD3+ the support is excellent and i doubt if you will be disappointed. It will give you more than enough power to stick with or beat 90% of the traffic. Remaps can give just as many issues. 

Edited by JohnnyType2

17 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

you will need a new bucket and deeper wallet to carry all that 99 ron to it. :o

i do 100 miles a day so a mapped TSI would be daft, if it was just a weekend warrior then yes all day everyday.

for a diesel just get the CRD3+ the support is excellent and i doubt if you will be disappointed. It will give you more than enough power to stick with or beat 90% of the traffic. Remaps can give just as many issues. 

£64 every 10 days, 312miles commuting every 9 days. Long term average over last 3,000miles 41.4MPG.:biggrin:

I had a DTUK box on my VRS184. Certainly increased the power but also contributed to a bit of clutch slip in higher gears, and got a bit more injector rattle, so I sold it.

Programmable, 3 modes and 3 settings for each mode if I remember well. I ran mode 2 setting 2

Andy Pawley is a decent chap I have had a couple of DTUK boxes over the years and he is helpful.

The 530d kicks out 260 bhp as standard and 457lb/ft - a box wont get a VRS184 to anywhere near that  level so perhaps the BMW driver wasn't that interested in playing boy racers.....

Edited by carrock
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, carrock said:

I had a DTUK box on my VRS184. Certainly increased the power but also contributed to a bit of clutch slip in higher gears, and got a bit more injector rattle, so I sold it.

Programmable, 3 modes and 3 settings for each mode if I remember well. I ran mode 2 setting 2

Andy Pawley is a decent chap I have had a couple of DTUK boxes over the years and he is helpful.

The 530d kicks out 260 bhp as standard and 457lb/ft - a box wont get a VRS184 to anywhere near that  level so perhaps the BMW driver wasn't that interested in playing boy racers.....

err no it doesnt have anywhere near 260 your thinking petrol 530i

its 218 stock up to 231, the '530i' has 258

https://www.auto-data.net/en/bmw-5er-e60-530d-218hp-9601

Edited by JohnnyType2