Rear window wiper- little or no cleaning fluid

Hi- an having some problems with rear window cleaning. Suddenly started few days ago. For first two days, window cleaning fluid was coming out but it was very slow and no spray. Now it is almost completely stopped except few drops... 

I only use filtered water and fluid so I doubt any debris came from there... Could it be any bird droppings hitting bulls eye.. How do it clean it. Just try to poke a needle or something small and sharp?

Front wipers are working fine so don't think pump is the problem..

Ta

Edited by xyz321
Clarified that front wipers r working

7 hours ago, Cymru Blackline said:

Try cleaning the 2 rear jets with a pin first. If that doesn't make any difference,fair chance it's the clip that holds the pipe on to the motor, but you'll have to take the tailgate trim off to get at it.

The motor isn’t in the tailgate, it’s in the Passenger Wheelarch/Engine Bay.

Doesnt sound like a pipe is off completely but twisted/kinked or blocked.

I would start looking where the washer hose joins with the rear hatch. That's normally where they split because they're constantly being moved when you open the boot.

I've not taken delivery of my Octy yet so I don't know what they're made of but a few years ago i had a Polo 9N3 with the same problem. The rear wiper hose was made out of plastic; not rubber and it split clean in two at the boot door. Every time you ran the rear washer the fluid would dribble down the inside and soak the rear light cluster.

Edited by ian_feel_keepin_it_reel

Before investigating all possible problems try the most likely and easiest to fix first. Blocked spray jet  heads. Mine stopped unexpectedly last week and it is easy to worry about all the possible problems it could be. It was only after I cleaned the discoloured looking mettle heads with a very fine small needle, that I remembered they hadn’t been all that effective for some time. Exert force from behind and on the left hand side of  the hinged cap covering the jets. Fine needle should go in at least 1.5cm.  If not use force to achieve that depth. If there is no or little resistance then the problem lies elsewhere with the water delivery system.

4 hours ago, GregSKO said:

Before investigating all possible problems try the most likely and easiest to fix first. Blocked spray jet  heads. Mine stopped unexpectedly last week and it is easy to worry about all the possible problems it could be. It was only after I cleaned the discoloured looking mettle heads with a very fine small needle, that I remembered they hadn’t been all that effective for some time. Exert force from behind and on the left hand side of  the hinged cap covering the jets. Fine needle should go in at least 1.5cm.  If not use force to achieve that depth. If there is no or little resistance then the problem lies elsewhere with the water delivery system.

I didn't know there is a hinged cap.. Will try your suggestion. 

4 hours ago, petecollier said:

I had a similar problem, it turned out the nozzle jet had corroded. Might be worth popping the jet off and checking.

Sorry for stupid question but any guide on how to take the "jet off" 

Its just a push fit, as I recall. No tool needed - just wiggle/pull.

It looks like this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/OE-8E9955985-8K9955985A-Ferretshop-Window/dp/B07CWR2D1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539262423&sr=8-2&keywords=audi+a3+rear+washer+jet

Located under the hinged cap described above by GregSKO.

Edited by petecollier

Does come off easily and it's not too difficult to clean with a pin but if you don't use it regularly it just gums up again very quickly.

Dealer appears aware of it as an "issue" and blames it on the type of screenwash in use (which hasn't bothered any other VW/Skoda/Seat i've owned).

Smacks of a poor design / part quality.

As others have said i this thread, make sure the nozzles are not blocked. 

I could never find a needle small enough to fit so I used an old tooth brush and wiggled a few of the brush strands down the nozzle holes.

Mine get blocked 3-4 times a year, seems like a crappy design to be honest but there is a lot of dust in the works car park for the past 2 years due to building work.

• 2 months later...

I found that a strand of copper wire from a ring main cable worked best on hatch nozzles.. Some screen wash solvents don't help the nozzles either. But that's covered on other forum threads.

So far the nozzle on my Combi tailgate has  stayed clear. Crummy coverage and not adjustable. though

Had this a few months ago with my old VRS. 

1. Squueze off the hinged clip. They are cheap to replace but be careful anyway

2. Remove nozzle, if its too tight then cover it with a cloth to protect it and prise it off with a pair of pliers or similar

3. Go back in car, operate rear wash and see if water comes out. If it does then good news, blocked nozzle. If not then bad news and theres a pump or pipework problem

4. Take nozze inside, put it in a cup of hot water and give it a rinse. Find some ingenious way of finding something thin enough to poke into the tiny little jets. I used the bristle of a stiff yard brush.

5. Fill mouth with water, put end of nozzle in mouth and attempt to play the part of the pump by trying to squirt water through the nozzle. This not only proves they are clear but also gives you an appreciation of how much pressure is required and how easy it can block.

6. Refit nozzle, refit cap.

7. Test

8. Place ingenious device, pin/wire/brush hair/whatever inside the pouch of the cars manual, that way you can use it again next time

9. Go tell the mrs how youve 'fixed the car'

Sorted

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2019 at 12:23, stanian said:

My rear washer has stopped working suddenly, took cover and washer jets off, motor runs but still no water coming through. Will have to be a trip to the stealers. Only got 10100 mile on the clock too.

Stealers say new rear wiper motor needed for me, as it is blocked in there and they can't unblock it.