vRS is back

Ah, I know what you mean about dealing with death, I lost my dad to multiple cancers in May and I'll use a tiny bit of the legacy he left me to pay for the car. 

I also lost two work colleagues (brain tumour and sudden renal failure) earlier in the year. 

Edited by TheWanderer

On 18/10/2018 at 07:37, TheWanderer said:

Ah, I know what you mean about dealing with death, I lost my dad to multiple cancers in May and I'll use a tiny bit of the legacy he left me to pay for the car. 

I also lost two work colleagues (brain tumour and sudden renal failure) earlier in the year. 

So sorry to hear that, I really am. I dont know if it ever gets easier.

However, given my earlier talk, ive just had quotes back from carwow. £5k off a 245 with DSG, im back in the market and potentially treating myself. Lifes short.

10 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

So sorry to hear that, I really am. I dont know if it ever gets easier.

However, given my earlier talk, ive just had quotes back from carwow. £5k off a 245 with DSG, im back in the market and potentially treating myself. Lifes short.

Thanks for the heads up, I can see CArwow are having the vRS back today, it was missing until a few days ago. However it seems that you can't choose the colour or any options?

EDIT: I got an offer jsut now 19% off just over £5,400 but not sure why you can't choose any options.

Edited by TonyTonic

1 hour ago, TonyTonic said:

Thanks for the heads up, I can see CArwow are having the vRS back today, it was missing until a few days ago. However it seems that you can't choose the colour or any options?

EDIT: I got an offer jsut now 19% off just over £5,400 but not sure why you can't choose any options.

Yesterday afternoon it wouldnt even get past choosing VRS trim. I guess the good people at Carwow are still putting it together. My local dealer got in touch and asked me which options I fancied and he's sorting me a quote. 

9 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

Yesterday afternoon it wouldnt even get past choosing VRS trim. I guess the good people at Carwow are still putting it together. My local dealer got in touch and asked me which options I fancied and he's sorting me a quote. 

Not sure about options:(

At minimum for me I think ACC (unless it’s standard), reversing camera and park assist(with front and rear sensors), virtual cockpit. 

Anything else that is a must? Is the ride very harsh without DCC especially for rear passengers?

Edited by TonyTonic

Ive lived with my vrs 220 for a few years, the ride can be jiggly on rough roads with 18" wheels. Road noise is medium, better than my leon but not quiet. 

Options wise there is currently a debate over park assist, with the spec sheet claiming its standard and the option lists on the config claiming its a whopping 600 quid extra. I have specced heated seats, folding heated mirrors, virtual cockpit, heated windscreen and rear camera. I wouldnt pay 800 for DCC, would very rarely use ACC either and park assist would be to boost the mrs confidence parking it as shes a bit nervous.

I live in cumbria, I use my heated seats pretty much every time I drive to work, i have had a frozen screen and mirrors twice this week already and its only October. Hence my love of heated items!

10 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

Ive lived with my vrs 220 for a few years, the ride can be jiggly on rough roads with 18" wheels. Road noise is medium, better than my leon but not quiet. 

Options wise there is currently a debate over park assist, with the spec sheet claiming its standard and the option lists on the config claiming its a whopping 600 quid extra. I have specced heated seats, folding heated mirrors, virtual cockpit, heated windscreen and rear camera. I wouldnt pay 800 for DCC, would very rarely use ACC either and park assist would be to boost the mrs confidence parking it as shes a bit nervous.

I live in cumbria, I use my heated seats pretty much every time I drive to work, i have had a frozen screen and mirrors twice this week already and its only October. Hence my love of heated items!

Didn't do the heated steering wheel then? DCC around the Tory cart tracks of Surrey, will save me a trip to the chiropractor.

As for Park Assist, it's a joy and it can cause some amusement amongst doubters and for when you get inconsiderate oinks who block you in, the only time it has peed me off is when I used it for a perpendicular park (not parallel against a kerb) and it put the car in the space alright, I just couldn't open the doors to get out and even a wafer thin size 0 model would have struggled to get out, put it is a boon and worth every penny.

I'm torn between the vRS and Superb SEL, is the road noise and comfort a massive difference?

The deals on the vRS seems pretty good at 20% off while the Superb is getting consistently around 18% off

2 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

I'm torn between the vRS and Superb SEL, is the road noise and comfort a massive difference?

The deals on the vRS seems pretty good at 20% off while the Superb is getting consistently around 18% off

What are you looking for in a car? If you're after something comfortable and refined the Superb SEL will be noticeably better. If you're after something a bit "sportier" the Octavia VRS will be better. Both good cars in their own rights, but very much different answers to different questions.

• Like 1

There seem to be a few spec issues I have spotted, which makes it clear as mud to know what you get or can get.

- Park assist as already mentioned is inconsistent (included or expensive cost option)

- Electric drivers seat, shown as "Only in combination with Alcantara upholstery on vRS", but then there is no option circle for vRS and nothing on the online configuration tool

- Intelligent light assistant with high beam control, shown as included in the list of features, but a cost option in the prices section and online configuration

- No mention at all of challenge plus pack (mentioned for other countries and at the Geneva show), which incidentally would include more leather on the seats and electric drivers one.

Sounds very good, but you really should put on a Heated Windscreen (clears the screen in about 90s) & Seats, plus ACC for those longer journeys or average speed zones and a spare tyre too. Park Assist is invaluable for city/town living for those spaces you're not sure of or getting out of one.

Don't use that expanding foam, it knackers a tyre that could be repaired.

• Like 1

You can't they're unavailable, they tried to do it with my order, hence my looking for aftermarket black wheels. 

The one's I'm looking at are :

Keskin Tuning Speed KT15

Fox FX004

Miller Migla (several) 

MAK Koln 

ATS Perfektion 

Get some ATS Radials for that, they're good and chunky, I have some Conti Winter's on them, they're currently in store, I'll try and keep them in storage as I'm changing the car, however that might change if the weather takes a significant turn for the worse.