Eurobus

Hi all, anybody out there got any issues with brake pads and discs being worn down at 62000kms? Just been told by dealer mine are 90% gone and the disc has a rim on one side!! 

2016 Superb 1.6 diesel.  

Warranty???

Thanks in advance!!

36 minutes ago, Eurobus said:

Hi all, anybody out there got any issues with brake pads and discs being worn down at 62000kms? Just been told by dealer mine are 90% gone and the disc has a rim on one side!! 

2016 Superb 1.6 diesel.  

Warranty???

Thanks in advance!!

Warranty??? 2016 and 62000km. No chance! Wear and tear after 10000km and 6 months.

Examine them yourself in case dealer is exaggerating. Uneven wear probably due to sticking calipers brought about by build up of corrosion/dust, due to skoda dealer policy of never servicing brakes properly (stripped/cleaned/greased).

Most importantly, examine your driving style which has massive influence on brake life.

Brakes wear out, it happens.

Edited by xman

Hi @Eurobus and welcome. There are a few threads on this. For example:

Type brake disks into the search function at the top of the page to see others. The gist is that some get replacements under warranty, some get a contribution and some have to pay for it all themselves. It seems to be hit and miss, depending on the dealer (thankfully hasn't been a problem for me at least yet). Good luck with it.

Hi xman, while I appreciate pads and discs wear over time, the car was serviced at 47000 Kms and I wasn't told that they were worn down at all.  I have to say, I'm a bit suspicious!!

I would ask the dealer what % worn they were at the service as they should have noted it even if they didn’t provide a warning

Edited by hwr1983

Car serviced at 47,000kms,  so Oil and Filter changed and a look see around the car by someone that might need to go to Spec Savers or maybe has eye tests at Spec Savers which is about as good as Main Dealer Services.

If you want Servicing and Maintenance carried out then go to trained and qualified people that give a damn.

Just the same as with eye tests, do not go where 'Upselling' is their Mission in life.

• Haha 1

Pads as said wear at different rates, obviously depends on where you drive and how. Mine at 93k miles still have plenty of life left on both pads and discs (nice flat wear) but 90% of my journeys are 3 miles to motorway, 20 miles on motorway and 2 miles at the other end and I mostly use my engine to brake.

Ski, Specsavers are no worse than any other optician and a damn sight cheaper. Optometrist s have to have appropriate training and qualifications by law before they can practice (anywhere). Whether an individual is actually good at their job is the same as in any profession, doctors, dentists, vets etc

https://www.college-optometrists.org/qualifying/a-career-in-optometry/what-is-an-optometrist.html

Garage technicians do not require any formal training or qualifications by law. And many just learn on the job (or not). Service managers even less so, though dealer principals appreciate those with good money making and saving skills above all else.

But we get your point. :hi:

• Haha 2

MY DIL is a Optometerist.

Being diabetic i get free eye checks, and have 10 years worth of eye glasses fro various establishments, and many ****e ones after Spec Savers tests and prescriptions.

You get to learn, when those paying peanuts have monkeys as employees.

I had front and rear pads + rear discs changed at 75 000 km, pads were almost gone and the rear discs warped. I do 90% driving in the city and I could say the driving style is quite agressive. 

5 hours ago, xman said:

Specsavers are no worse than any other optician and a damn sight cheaper. Optometrist s have to have appropriate training and qualifications by law before they can practice (anywhere). Whether an individual is actually good at their job is the same as in any profession, doctors, dentists, vets etc

I have used Specsavers since about 2001 following a poor experience with an optician I had been using since the 1960's.

I have been very satisfied, two pairs of specs for less than I was paying for one at the old opticians (using the same Hoya Varifocal lenses) and when they found my inter ocular-pressures raised they referred me immediately.

But 2 years ago things took a down turn. They no longer supplied Hoya Lenses thus I had to have their Pentax Varifocals. The prescription in my left eye was unchanged for distance but the reading part was slightly different. My right eye had a developing cataract thus it was difficult to get any improvement. When the spectacles arrived I stuggled to focus through my left eye, my vision was better in the old specs they had supplied 2 years before, due to the cataract it was difficult to say if the lens was OK, it like looking through fog at best. They kept saying keep trying them for another week and eventually agreed that if they were no better they would arrange a re-test and correct the lens if necessary. Went back in and they simply refunded my money, no choice so back to my old specs, at least i could see.

Last year I was offered a sight test at the hospital and their prescription was exactly the same as the Specsavers one from the previous year. But they don't give you a copy thus you have to get tested on the High Street again. A bit of a waste of time but it prove the actual optician was correct. So off to Specsavers and the left eye prescription was the same again, the right was a tad different to the hospital from what I could remember. New specs ordered and when they arrived it was deja vu, could not focus with my left eye, the important one for me. They kept saying keep trying them but I was more insistent and eventually the branch manager became involved. They checked the left lens and believe it or not it did not match my prescription, put a lens over the spectacles to bring it to the correct strength and I could see. So both lenses were reordered and fitted an all has been fine for 12 months.

Went to see the Consultant 2 weeks ago and despite my worsening sight in the right eye he would not consider me for an operation since I did not meet their criteria. I was not happy, poor sight is not pleasant at best and its getting worse every year. I can still easily pass the DVLA requirements with the left eye or both together but the right eye is a waste of space. I asked what option I had to get his decision reviewed and he suggested 2. 1st was at my next consultation on April I should either lie when I read the chart to make my sight appear much worse that it is or alternatively go back to my optician now and get re-referred.

So I made an appointment at the optician that looked after my dad when he had cataracts about 12 years ago. Its a one man band thus you get to see the same person every time which with my problems is probably better than simply seeing whoever is available. Told him what had happened and which hospital it was and he was fuming. Told me that is the advice given to all patients and he has a huge battle to get treatment carried out. Said that asking patients to lie is very wrong and told me not to do it, he wanted me to take the matter further. He tested my eyes and the prescription for the left eye is the same as Specsavers have been giving me for several years and he too had difficulty finding a prescription that gave any improvement for the right eye, an operation is the only solution. He disagreed with re-referring me since his experience of that would mean me starting all over again with the hospital, he said I need an operation now.

So I have made another appointment at the hospital in December and in the meantime will visit my GP to see if he will give me some tips or preferably back me up if I decide to take it further. Watch this space.

I can only conclude that Specsavers Options are fine but their lens quality control in recent years can have issues. But at least its easy to spot, you cannot see. The Mrs has been using Specsavers since 2004 and has not had a single issue, but her eyes are healthy.

• Like 1

^^^^ The trained professional with all the gear and training and qualifications can be fine, then a person that meets and greets and sits you down and lines up the lenses can be hit or miss.

I was given the same prescription for 4 visits to Spec Savers and 8 years later find out that one eye needed no prescription which is why the Easy Readers from the Chemist with a lens that fell out were better than the pairs of prescrption readers i had paid for.

Like Dealerships, the Master Tech and workshop staff can be perfect, the support staff hopeless.

Edited by Offski