Looking for a spaceback, main issues 1.0 81kw

As the title says I'm looking at a skoda rapid spaceback in race blue metallic, glass roof, navi, cruise, only thing missing from option list is towing bar and dab, so basically full option. What are the main issues with this model? I heard there were issues with the sunroofs for skoda a few years ago and the dealer back then actually convinced my dad not to take it on his octavia. Thanks in advance -Tom

Drive it. Feel the lack of torque and the endless need for gear changes. Then decide. Unless it's DSG of course in which case it should be much less annoying. Still handle like a blancmange at speed though.

Edited by camelspyyder

It's a 1litre 3 pot turbo so it's never going to be the sportiest car out there.

Once you learn how to get the best from the engine it is a great car. You learn when to change gear, when to use the throttle and what it can and can't do. 

If you find the handling spongy then that's because its a small family hatchback, not a hot hatch but if you think it doesn't handle well then you're not driving it properly. 

I spend a lot of time in the highlands and it is a very capable car. The route I took yesterday took me over a lot of fantastic roads and driving it quickly but safely I still got 49mpg.

I love mine and prefer it to my last Rapid 1.2 in every way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^^ Horses for courses, suspension to suit the roads, high revving, and able to change direction on your own side of the road and also miss potholes.

Just way a Fabia or Rapid is so good.  What a shame Skoda are not allowed to do Warm or Hot versions, only mildly wild Taxi sized models and SUV's.

Can certainly recommend the 1.0 TSi 110 BHP 3 pot unit, although it does seem to be a love it, or hate it engine!

I've owned both 1.2 TSi (105 BHP) Rapid hatchback and Spaceback's and the 1.0 3 cylinder 110 BHP engine in my current SEAT Toledo (Rapid clone) is one of the best bits of the car. It revs well, cruise quietly on the motorway and 10-20% more economical than the 1.2 TSi 4 pots.

More here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446255-seat-toledo-10-tsi-xcellence/

Going for a test drive this evening with one from the local dealer, the one I'm looking at is apprently a showroomcar from another big dealer with a large discount list price 28150 euro and I got a quote for 19200 euro without giving in my old fabia then it would be 17200 euro.

Regardless of is it good or bad  that sounds like a lot of euro for a very old tech car. I know the UK is cheap, but loaded brand new Toledo's have been selling here for 13000 euro for the last 18 months.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2018 at 19:08, Delberthot said:

It's a 1litre 3 pot turbo so it's never going to be the sportiest car out there.

Once you learn how to get the best from the engine it is a great car. You learn when to change gear, when to use the throttle and what it can and can't do. 

If you find the handling spongy then that's because its a small family hatchback, not a hot hatch but if you think it doesn't handle well then you're not driving it properly. 

I spend a lot of time in the highlands and it is a very capable car. The route I took yesterday took me over a lot of fantastic roads and driving it quickly but safely I still got 49mpg.

I love mine and prefer it to my last Rapid 1.2 in every way. 

I have for 4 years now found the stretched Polo chassis lacks rigidity; It flexes over bumps and the stability in moderately quick cornering is poor.

I cant think of another car that I have driven in the last year that has handled this poorly, and there have been quite a lot.

However, on quality, equipment and certainly value (at heavily discounted new prices) it beats all of them hands down.

Edited by camelspyyder

3 hours ago, Delberthot said:

When cornering, do have your foot on the throttle, off it completely or on the brakes? I'm just curious

As a driver of the 1.0 litre car I can't say, never thought about it, just drive and respond as required for the stretch of road in question. probably a bit of each dependant on the corner, entry speed and what's around the corner to meet me when I get there!

The best thing I ever did when it comes to driving was do my advanced driving. When I approach a bend I will sometimes drop a gear depending on how fast I am going but any braking is done before I enter the bend and my foot is always on the throttle on the bend as this keeps the car more stable. The speed I enter the corner is the speed I need to be doing to get around the corner safely. eg if approaching a bend that can be taken at 60mph I will usually drop it to 5th so that I can get the power down rather than coast around the corner in 6th

One thing about the 1 litre I have noticed in particular is when you come off the gas it can take a second or two for the turbo to spool up again so if you did this on a corner then that would also make the car less stable when it did eventually kick in

You'd be surprised at what speed you can take corners at if done properly. There's a double bend near where I live that is a 60 limit. Many drivers will slow down to 45-50mph but I can safely take these bends at 60mph in a long wheelbase Mercedes Sprinter

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 1

Thanks Del (my name too).

I am happy with braking in a straight line, selecting the correct gear, stable cornering with power on, all the standard stuff, but this Toledo seems to oversteer mid corner - maybe the ECO tyre pressures are contributing, my first Toledo only handled this poorly when the Contis were down to 3mm and fit for the bin.

I have experienced poor handling from high tyre pressures in a variety of other cars (Ka to Mustang), so I'm surprised I didn't think of it before. Thanks for jogging my memory.

That said, bumps mid turn make either Toledo wallow about, the damping just doesn't seem up to much.

Edited by camelspyyder

On 07/11/2018 at 12:21, camelspyyder said:

Thanks Del (my name too).

I am happy with braking in a straight line, selecting the correct gear, stable cornering with power on, all the standard stuff, but this Toledo seems to oversteer mid corner - maybe the ECO tyre pressures are contributing, my first Toledo only handled this poorly when the Contis were down to 3mm and fit for the bin.

I have experienced poor handling from high tyre pressures in a variety of other cars (Ka to Mustang), so I'm surprised I didn't think of it before. Thanks for jogging my memory.

That said, bumps mid turn make either Toledo wallow about, the damping just doesn't seem up to much.

I'm not sure what changed between my November 2014 Rapid hatch and my current 2018 Spaceback but the suspension is far better. I also noticed the wallowing when taking slow, tight corners on the old car but not on the new one. 

I've always been sceptical about "eco" tyre pressures. If you put more air in the tyre then theoretically there will be less tyre surface area  in contact with the road. Plus you're more likely to wear out the centre section of tread. I always run my cars with the lowest setting on the fuel flap as it's mainly just me in the car.

Regarding the oversteer. I've found that the 17" Bridgestone tyres don't like cold and damp and I found the front sliding just a bit when cornering. Not enough to lose control but enough for it to feel a bit like oversteer.

The factory Bridgestone 050A are poor for sure.

I've tried 3 different 17" OEM tyres on these. The Dunlop SportMaxx were grippy but so noisy, the Conti PremiumContact 2 quiet but with less overall grip and the Bridgestones appear to lack either grip or refinement. Amazing how the factory specced tyres can impact your first few years with the car in such a major way.

I can't wait to be rid of my Bridgestones, I've noticed cracks appearing on the outer edges of the tread pattern over the last 12 months and they are noisy. I think they will be past their best appearance wise and too old to carry on with them. It's a shame really as the've only done 18k miles and loads of life tread wise left on them.

To report back if driven it for 200kms last weekend and I must say I like the chassis quite well more responsive in corners then my dads octavia I find but then again if I'm going for this car which i calculated was 43% total off msrp with trade in of my old fabia. and suspension wise I'm looking to do eibach springs or pro street coilovers, eibach roll bars anyhow and upgrading the stock 16" with 17inch savio's or either the new fabia wheel with michelin ps4's that would be my plan. But first if I go throug enjoy the car for a little bit :). Plus I dont buy it to go racing to much police and speed camera's here in the state... so it would mainly be a verry nice daily for me and the girlfriend.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/11/2018 at 15:55, MickA said:

Or buy another car for proper driving.:D

My Rapid 1.6tdi 90 (un-ea189'd) pairs well with my '07 MX5 :biggrin: - and does a better job of pulling our caravan!

Seriously though, without the diesle's torque I cant think the rapid would be anywhere near as pleasant, or economical, a drive. Michelin tyres all round, and while the gearchange on these cars is very nice thank you I do like to simply chunter along without changing gear too much sometimes.

• Like 1

^^^ Snap I have a 07 plate Mk3 too, they aren't quick but good fun,  grip and road holding is fab.

I used to do caravanning too, the towcar was a big Vauxhall TD estate (Omega) that got kicked into touch when I swapped the caravan for the MX-5.

If I only ran one car then I think it would be something a little more luxurious but ATM and as you say with your Rapid the Toledo and MX-5 are a pairing that suits me fine.