245 Newbie ish

Hi All,  Had my 245 since May and love it to bits.  You will all laugh or call me a numbty but I havent had a car that accelerates as fast as it does since I had a Supra back in 2000!

When I floor it sometimes I forget what gear im in as its so swiftly! I then look a numbty trying to work it out!  (Yep id be ****e as a racing driver)

Im sure its just me on this and if so I will try harder or get me coat!

I made a gear display for my old Ford Fiesta. Reverse engineered the engine speed and vehicle speed signals from the CAN bus and with the known ratios of the gears you can work out what gear you're in. Then it's just displaying the number on a seven segment display.

I haven't put a CAN logging tool on an Octavia yet, but if it doesn't have a gateway control module that blocks raw CAN traffic to the diagnostic port the same thing would be possible.

My 2015 1.4TSI Elegance (manual) displays the current gear (and hints to change up or down) in the top right of the Maxidot, like this

35jmsjr.jpg&key=0a4039e29061ed1f3132b529

Edited by PetrolDave

57 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

My 2015 1.4TSI Elegance (manual) displays the current gear (and hints to change up or down) in the top right of the Maxidot, like this

35jmsjr.jpg&key=0a4039e29061ed1f3132b529

IIRC you need to select "ECO tips" from somewhere in one of the options for this to be shown

11 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

IIRC you need to select "ECO tips" from somewhere in one of the options for this to be shown

Mine does this out of the box, as did my MK2, box may be ticked but I didn't do it.

14 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

It shows that even with "ECO tips" off - with it on you get a really annoying text message in the main part of the Maxidot telling you to change gear - so I turned "ECO tips" off as soon as I got the car home from the dealer B)

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

when I put my DSG into manual to change down gears quicker I often forget I have to change up afterwards... luckily the box does it for me when the rev's get too high!