'Scrunching' noise

RickW

The only way I can describe it.

I've just fitted a new Skoda windscreen wiper and it's making a horrendous 'scrunching ' noise in the rain.

Any handy hints how to fix this please? (older passenger side wiper silent).

Deep clean the glass ??   Toothpaste if you don't have any glass-specific stuff. I've used Cif in the past too. 

I've given up using Skoda wipers - especially for the rear window on the Combi ... Skoda ones just judder after a few weeks installed.

Tried 2 replacements after the original one from new. All juddered and squeaked ... frightened back passengers whenever the wiper came on!

So, went back to Bosch like on previous cars and NO problem with juddering and squeaking. Got mine at Wiperblades.co.uk. Great service there. 

The rubber in the Skoda brand wipers must be rubbish.

Anyway - deep clean sounds like what your screen needs. 

• Thanks 1

Twist the flat blade section of the arm so that the angle of attack changes, if the juddering is worse twist it the other way, an adjustable spanner is the tool for the job that will not leave a mark, a surprising amount of force is needed, deep clean screen plus the rubbers first though.

• Thanks 1

As above. It is down to the angle of attack. Normally only happen in one direction.

It also helps if whenever you first use your wipers you precede this with good long squirt of soapy screen wash.

With the rear one I stopped mine making the juddering noise by fitting it the other way round.

Now been quiet for two years.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 1

Who replaces single wiper blades?

Unless it was damaged it's fair to say both wipers wear at the same rate.

Was the replacement a genuine Skoda blade? If so then take it back, you'll have paid a premium for it so if it isn't right then I'd be wanting a replacement or my money back.

Most genuine Skoda blades are made by Bosch or Valeo, just in more expensive packaging!

Longish story. I damaged the passenger blade 2 years ago,bought a pack of two from Skoda 2 years ago and only just needed the drivers side which has been in the shed unused since then.

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:53, silver1011 said:

I wonder, even if unused, the rubber can deteriorate over time?

Oh yes, I'd think so even if kept cool and in the dark, just a lot slower than out and in use.

• Like 1